Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about
Default JdN Antano Consul

The cigar: Joya de Nicaragua 1970 Antano Consul

Nutritional information:
Vitola: 4.5 x 52
Origin: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua

Humidor time: 8 mos

The marketing:
From CI: In the 1970s, this brand was considered the finest not only in Nicaragua, but in the entire world. It was actually created in Nicaragua’s first cigar factory founded in 1964, smoked by US Presidents and renowned for its rich and full flavor. But decades of war and Communist rule in Nicaragua destroyed the brand and decimated the factory - and most of the rest of the country for that matter. Well, the country has been on the rise again, and fittingly, so is the brand. This new Joya de Nicaragua Antaño 1970 was created to celebrate the rich heritage and worldwide renown it enjoyed in 1970, and marks a return to those glorious days. It’s well on the way, earning a terrific 91 rating (Cigar Insider). A very, very full-bodied, robust "muscle cigar." This beauty is simply delicious.

Great news! The Antaño 1970 has been named one of Cigar Aficionado’s Top 50 Cigars. The magazine noted, "Dark and rich in appearance, with lovely texture to the wrapper. It has a superb draw. The smoke is strong and intense, very cedary and spicy on the palate. A complex smoke with medium to full body."

Prelight: I love the look of this cigar. The leathery Criollo wrapper is dark and a bit thick and veiny, but the color is beautiful, with rusty shades of red and orange. It's very solid in the hand, uniformly bunched, a sturdy little smoke.

Burn: Fantastic. It takes a decent bit of toasting to get a good light with that thick wrapper, but once it's lit, it's lit for good, and it burns beautifully -- razor straight to the nub, with strong medium gray ash. It burns relatively slowly: this fairly small cigar lasted over an hour.

Flavor: It's a strong cigar, but it's not strong in the sense that you get a blast of pepper spray. There's a lot of flavor and raw power in the smoke, but it's smooth and balanced. The smoke is thick, coating the palate, and leaving a long finish. There are notes of wood, and red pepper spice, and a tartness that sometimes seems fruity, like a sour cherry. The flavors are active and shifting, sometimes showing cedar, sometimes hinting at a creamy vanilla, sometimes like a hot paprika. In the second third I thought I caught a hint of licorice, and in the home stretch it turned creamier.

I've always been a fan of JdNs, so I'm a bit biased, but I really like this cigar. It lets me check off all the boxes on my list of what a great cigar should be: well-constructed, full-flavored, complex and interesting, good value for the money. It's not subtle by any means, and I have to be in the right state of mind, but when I want power and flavor, this is what I reach for. And when I want something with a similar flavor profile but a little bit tamer, there's the JdN Celebracion. Is this country great or what?
Old 02-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Beer Doctor

Default Re: JdN Antano Consul

I love this cigar too! I have a box and I wonder how they'll taste after a few years of age on them (if they make it that long). I've tasted the tartness as well. Nice review!
Old 02-03-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
BarneyBandMan
Owner - Club Deck

Trading: (1)
Partagas
BarneyBandMan will become famous soon enough

Nice review. One of my fav NCs
Old 02-03-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Thanks for the good reivew.
MedicCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Smoked a few and still got a few in the humi, I have loved them since the first one.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
roughrider
Feeling at Home

Trading: (24)
roughrider is on a distinguished road

I love the Beli, Churchill, and Lancero.
roughrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #7
NickyTeen
My barn door is open

First Name: Kriss
Trading: (12)
Partagas
NickyTeen will become famous soon enoughNickyTeen will become famous soon enough

Nice review! Like these also. The consul is my favorite size. Thanks for the review.
NickyTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
karmaz00
Habanos

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Partagas
karmaz00 is on a distinguished road

nice review
Old 02-03-2009, 06:22 PM   #9
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

One of my favorites. In fact, just got a box of consuls and a box of machitos in the mail just yesterday. And for those in the market, atlanticcigar and cigarplace.biz are having REAL good deals on them right now. My box of consuls was only a little over $50 and the machitos $107 for a box of 50.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #10
Cigary

This use to be my "go to" cigar years ago,,,I need to get another box now that I see this post.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:35 PM   #11
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

Wonderful smoke! Strong and smooth, a great combination!
blugill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

thanks for sharing Eddie..
Old 02-03-2009, 08:23 PM   #13
greenwit

How does this rate in strength vs. the LFD (I guess the chisel specifically)? It's been awhile since I've tried one of these....I had a chisel recently and had to put it down.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:49 AM   #14
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

It's a short smoke but for like size its as strong as the LFD.

If you really want strength though, go for Lito Gomez's self named smokes. I smoke a lot of strong cigars but a Lito always seems to make me woozy.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:06 AM   #15
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Very nice review!!!

However, I am afraid of these!!! I'm a wimp!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:27 AM   #16
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackIrish View Post
The cigar: Joya de Nicaragua 1970 Antano Consul Is this country great or what?
Where's the pictures Eddie? Nice review and a great cigar. You hit the prelight and flavor right on the head. I love the way this stick looks and smells prior to setting fire to it. You mentioned a hint of licorice which I think (and don't hold me to it) is the sweet tobacco smell and taste. I've been used to smoking the Robusto Grande size but really don't have all day to enjoy that one anymore. That's where the Consul now comes into play. Its just the right size for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Very nice review!!!

However, I am afraid of these!!! I'm a wimp!!!
Hey Darrell, if you have anymore Consuls in your humi thats giving you nightmares, you got my addy whimpy
Old 02-05-2009, 01:33 AM   #17
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Where's the pictures Eddie? Nice review and a great cigar. You hit the prelight and flavor right on the head. I love the way this stick looks and smells prior to setting fire to it. You mentioned a hint of licorice which I think (and don't hold me to it) is the sweet tobacco smell and taste. I've been used to smoking the Robusto Grande size but really don't have all day to enjoy that one anymore. That's where the Consul now comes into play. Its just the right size for me

Hey Darrell, if you have anymore Consuls in your humi thats giving you nightmares, you got my addy whimpy
Hey, those would be coming my way.

Have you tried the Machito size? I think that one is quickly becoming my favorite. Perfect hour to hour fifteen smoke time. I have some of the Robusto Grande, Churchill, and Lanceros left, but many of them seem to have draw issues I never seem to get in the smaller sizes.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:47 AM   #18
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters View Post
Hey, those would be coming my way.

No way Jose No, haven't smoked the Machito, but hear its a little firecracker though...
Old 02-05-2009, 01:53 AM   #19
Ratters
Have My Own Room

They come in a box of 50, same flavor as the consul, just the perfect size for the strength. I highly reccommend them, especially since they are only a little over $2 a stick by the box.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #20
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post

Sorry Mark!!! All I have left is the Machito from Ratters!!! I'm saving that for a special occation where I eat too much and feel sleepy!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote