Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #1
Steelergar

Default Don Pepin JJ Belicoso

Don Pepin Garcia Belicoso

Stats:
Owner- El Rey De la Habanos Inc
Factory- El Rey De la Habanos
Vitola: Belicoso
Size: 52 x 5.75
Wrapper:Nicaraguan Corojo oscuro
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan

Background: A little on Pepin Pepin has been rolling cigars since the age of 12 and aside from 2-years in the military, has not stopped. He received the rank of Tabequero Maestro while rolling and blending cigars in Cuba. He can make just about anything out of tobacco leaves. He personally specializes in those extremely difficult large figurados called diademas or salomons. A torpedo head and supple curves as you get toward the foot, which has a big bulb then a small nipple. It takes a lot of cuts to make that work, and Pepin makes it look simple. He always seems to smile as he rolls. Watching him, you can tell he really enjoys what he’s doing. He trained rollers in Cuba, and now he’s training them in Miami and in Estelí.

When Pepin Garcia left Cuba for Nicaragua, he worked with Fernandez in the Jalapa region, and then opened El Rey de los Habanos (Little Havana) in 2003. High ratings in Cigar Aficionado soon followed. But the Garcia’s could only do so much in Miami. Given the tiny factory had a total of 12 rollers, expansion was inevitable and I believe the addition of 36 pairs of rollers in the TACUBA factory learning from Pepin is a boon for cigar smokers everywhere. There are differences in rolling approach at the 2 factories. In Miami, the cigars are made by one person, who bunches and wraps. In Estelí, the bunching is done by one worker, the wrapping by another, thus the “pairing” of rollers.

To help bring TACUBA up to speed Pepin’s son, Jaime, now spends much of his time there: one month in Nicaragua, followed by a few weeks in Miami, then back to Nicaragua. His father does a similar rotation to ensure that one of them is at the Estelí factory on most days.

The Don Pepin Garcia Serie JJ, a medium to full-bodied Nicaraguan puro, was blended by Jose in collaboration with his son and protégé, Jaime—thus the name “JJ”. It debuted in 2005. The tobaccos are rich Nicaraguan leaf that rivals the flavor, character and experience of the finest Cuban cigars. Exquisitely made with the careful construction that has become a DPG hallmark. This amazing cigar, which Pepin proudly called “his masterpiece”, was one of the highest rated and top selling cigars of 2006/2007. Because it is so popular, he has blessed the cigar world with a delicious Maduro version of this world-class blend, released at this years RTDA in August. Although it is not the first Maduro created by Don Pepin, it is the first with his name on it(1).

Prelight: Smooth wrapper excellent construction, it has an powerful aroma to it which is spicy with leather that clears up your senses. It has a good prelight draw.

Smoke: Started fairly easy, it is smooth with a leathery base and subtle wood flavors. the ash is almost white, burn is even, and the draw maybee a touch on the tight side. First ash was almost 1/3 of the way in. It is medium bodied but med/full on flavor. The smoke is white and spice comes in 1/2 way in as the woody flavor goes away. It then becomes nutty and mellow with a minor spice and some notes of coffee. The aroma smells like a sweet spice like nutmeg. It starts to burn slow approaching the finish and the spice picks up. The wrapper burns a little uneven at the finish but does not stop my enjoyment.

Final Thought:
This is a quality smoke that is good after a light dinner or maybee lunch. Starts out full of flavor and becomes more mellow as it goes on with the flavors being more subtle but still complex. Great smoke if you like something more mellow than his other blends. These will be a goto in my humi when I want something of that character. I got to sat that I am impressed with the amount of flavor and subtle changes that come off this stogie

MSRP: Around $8.60 a cigar

Like it: Yes
Recommend: Yes
Buy it again: You bet!

(1) courtesy of cigar fan
Old 03-03-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice
Default Re: Don Pepin JJ Belicoso

Nice review, thanks. I have a 5er of these from the devil site that should be just about rested enough to smoke.
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Nice review, thanks.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review and the history!!!

I really enjoy these, especially the Maduro!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:14 PM   #5
Cigary

Good review,,very concise and good info. I have about 7 left and almost time to get more. I always hear good things about this cigar.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
Steelergar

Thanks guys.

Also I made a mistake the wrapper is a rosado which I have known for a while but the source I was looking at must have been talking about the maduro.

Last edited by Steelergar; 03-04-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review. I have not had a DPG that I did not enjoy.
MedicCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:17 PM   #8
cle_smoker
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Robert
Trading: (1)
RA
cle_smoker will become famous soon enough

I've only had the maduro. I'll have to give these a try as well.
cle_smoker is offline   Reply With Quote