Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #41
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Any Pitbull owners here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
I hate to add to the bad rap but after seeing what a pit bull did to my daughter's kindergarten classmate, I'll never own one, advocate ownership nor ever allow my daughter to be anywhere near one. The kid had his face ripped off and even after all the reconstructive surgeries, he'll be scarred physically and mentally for life. From the time this boy was a baby until 5 years old, the dog never showed any signs of aggression toward him, says the parents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mase View Post
So, you're denying that some breeds are more prone to aggressiveness and violence? Sadly, in the NY metro area, there are far too many stories of pit bulls mauling and killing infants.
Didn't you hear? It's always the owners fault.

I have tried to have a rational conversations with my in-laws after there (apparently mistreated,abused and untrained) POS killed my 8YO boys kitten.(the same dog don't kill there cats). It is a waste of time with argument I promise. Ignorance always wins to intelligence in this case. I just get tired of talking to a "wall".

And yes I'm sure the kitten's death was my fault as I likely didn't have it trained correctly to handle such a wonderful visiting animal.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #42
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Either all your friends who own pit bulls are morons, or you are imbelishing to try and prove a point. I am not sure that I know 3 different people who could describe their dogs using one of those examples, let alone all of them.
Of course I was embellishing to prove a point... The fact remains that every time I see or hear about a Pit bull I get some weird warning to go along with it. It's like there aren't any that are just "normal". And I only have one friend that owns a pit. I used to deliver uniforms with my Dad and pits were fairly common for people to have in their homes and businesses back then. I think it was a machismo thing.

Oh and not like Chihuahuas are any better as far as being a crazy unpredictable bitey breed. But a chihuahua can't crush your skull with it's jaws!
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #43
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Any dog can snap. The likelyhood of a chihuahua mauling a mailman is a lot less likely than a German Sheppard, but I'll bet my lunch money more people get bit by a dog that weighs less than 15 pounds than bully dogs all day. Pit bulls and bully breeds are infinitely more powerful than ankle biters, but so are akitas, retrievers and irish wolfhounds. The same reason if I get in a fight with someone, I would probably inflict more damage than my son.

I am by no means defending morons who raise dogs for amusement or incorrect reasons, but a pure bred bully breed, bred in a loving home and with proper training is no more dangerous than a yorkie or bichon frize. They are definitely capable of much more damage, but are not more likely to attack humans than any other breed.

Talking someone who has never owned or known a properly trained bully breed dog is like talking to a brick wall. They have their perception of the risks and dangers of said breed based on the bad story they read in the paper or saw on the news. Which seems to be the only breed that makes the news for dog attacks anymore. Even if the dog is an unkown breed, the media will report it as a pit bull despite the fact it may be a lab mixed with a bulldog.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #44
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Even if the dog is an unkown breed, the media will report it as a pit bull despite the fact it may be a lab mixed with a bulldog.
Very true.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #45
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

I did delivery for UPS for a year and was bit twice. One was a chihuahua that I dragged the entire way from the package car to the house and back. The other was a Giant Schnauzer...that guy was mean. Pit Bulls never gave me any issues but let me tell ya, the size of the dog in the fight DOES matter. I wanted no part of that Schnauzer.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #46
criracer
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Jason
Trading: (0)
criracer is on a distinguished road

"My kids are around pit bulls every day. In the '70s they blamed Dobermans, in the '80s they blamed German shepherds, in the '90s they blamed the Rottweiler. Now they blame the pit bull."

-Cesar Millan
criracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #47
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluck View Post

I have tried to have a rational conversations with my in-laws after there (apparently mistreated,abused and untrained) POS killed my 8YO boys kitten.(the same dog don't kill there cats). It is a waste of time with argument I promise. Ignorance always wins to intelligence in this case. I just get tired of talking to a "wall".

And yes I'm sure the kitten's death was my fault as I likely didn't have it trained correctly to handle such a wonderful visiting animal.
Didn't you hear?
The owner said the dog never showed any signs of aggression toward their child from a baby to five years old. There is no telling what made that dog snap. I just hope it's not ever your children that end up in the news one day.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #48
jluck
Way out there

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
Didn't you hear?
The owner said the dog never showed any signs of aggression toward their child from a baby to five years old. There is no telling what made that dog snap. I just hope it's not ever your children that end up in the news one day.
You must have missed the sarcasm. It is just like every other pit thread. Same BS different forum.

And it very well could be one of my kids someday as I mentioned there's all too many pits in my family so its a matter of when not if.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #49
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Some are, Some are far from it. But the breed remains the common denominator. The more responsible owners just make better excuses for the dogs behavior.
I think it's kind of a reckless statement to assume that everybody someone knows (in which you know none of the parties) is irresponsible.

You may like them...great, Might even be the pitbull whisperer cool. I'm only adding content from the 25 years I have had exposure to pit's and other aggressive breeds.
I'll stick with my, its the owner not the dog see below:

Quote:

Are these the same folks that are not irresponsible per your post above?

I believe the kitten's death would be the responsibility of the owner of the attacking dog...yes the owner. Imagine someone actually having to take responsibility for the actions of something they control and own. If a dog wandered onto my property and even so much as growled at my kids it would be dead. Dogs must be controlled at all times, if they get out and cause harm the owner should be fined or go to jail...I stick by my original post.

Last edited by awsmith4; 02-20-2012 at 12:38 PM.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #50
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

This was my oldest son's Pit Bull when she was a pup:

And here she is recently:

She is the sweetest dog, more loving and needy than my 2 Jack Russells. We dog-sit her often and she loves coming to our house and our dogs love it when she is here. If we were to ever get a large dog, it would be a Pit.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #51
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

Great looking dog, Scott. Looks like a mad crazy killer That is the type I would like to get.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #52
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post

I believe the kitten's death would be the responsibility of the owner of the attacking dog...yes the owner. Imagine someone actually having to take responsibility for the actions of something they control and own. If a dog wandered onto my property and even so much as growled at my kids it would be dead. Dogs must be controlled at all times, if they get out and cause harm the owner should be fined or go to jail...I stick by my original post.
Totally Agree Albert
Old 02-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #53
jluck
Way out there

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post

I really don't want to keep doing this. I don't expect to get through to you as you have your mind set and I have mine.
If you like the dogs great but I bet there will be a day you reconsider. Maybe not.
71% of pit owners must be irresponsible. Google it.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #54
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

I damn near got knocked over by a Pit when I went to a house to do an estimate the other day.

He was so excited to see me he was wagging his ass end so hard he literally almost took my knee out from under me. He followed me all over in and outside the house just nuzzling up against me. Like we were old friends except I had just met him.

That said - it's pretty rare that I go into a house with a Pit like that - most owners keep them in other rooms or outside/inside where ever I'm not.

My brother had a Pit for 8 years. Sweetest dog ever right up to the point that it damn near took the face off of his neighbor whom it had known all it's life - and she would dog sit him all the time. That was an expensive law suit.

Point is - it's really hit or miss with the breed in my opinion.

Several years ago my 20 something neighbor showed up at my door with a puppy pit. He wanted to ask me some questions. I asked him if this was his first dog ever - he said yes. I asked why a pit bull - answer: cause they are cool. His sister and mother were scared to death of the dog he said and his father just ignored it. I spent almost two hours going over puppy basic's, recommended some vets, etc. I then told him that when the dog got older and escaped his yard - I would shoot the thing no question about it.

Several days later the pit bull was gone and replaced with a Boston Terrier. Chico is the sweetest little Boston you ever saw - and the whole family loves him.

The right dog for the right family.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote