Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 02-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
SilverFox

Default The Fox is Sniffing Around the Pipe Threads

Ok so here is a few questions.

With regard to pipe smoking.

Is it similar to cigars in that you can get a good tobacco (not flavoured) that has a unique flavour profile?

How long would a typical bowl last?

I see lots of points about cobs being a good starting point but I would prefer to start with a Briar. Other than flavour ghosting what are the issues associated to a Briar vs others.

The only pipe tobacco I can ever remember is associated to flavoured tobaccos which I assume are chemically done similar to cigars (perhaps wrongly assume)

Anyway not there yet but thought a pipe might be in interesting quick alternative to a cigar. Don't think I am interested in the flavored tobacco so if that is the primary difference???

Thanks
Old 02-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
ahc4353

Default Re: The Fox is Sniffing Around the Pipe Threads

I read one time (on CS) about a guy (business) the pipe guys recommend to get started. Can anyone here help me out and point me in that guys direction?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
kayak_rat
Cyclonic Bastard

First Name: Zack
Trading: (0)
Trinidad
kayak_rat will become famous soon enough

Frenchy from Frenchy's Pipe Shop.
kayak_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
jquirit
Angry Asian Dwarf

Trading: (3)
jquirit has disabled reputation

Frenchy. He's a great guy if you're lookin' for pipes. Carries both new and estate pipes. There's also the list at the top of the this sub-forum that has numerous internet vendors that carry both pipes and baccy.

As for the baccy, each tobacco type has a particular taste/influence. Hence you see people talking about Va's (Virginias), VaPers (Virginias mixed with Perique), Orientals, etc. A great resource for someone starting out that lists that various blends and ones to try here:

Touchstones

There was/is an excellent starting thread on the "other" forums which is still accessible and has a lot of info in there. Best way is to wander into a B&M and ask the resident pipe person questions and see if something piques your interest.

Also forgot to include Tobacco Reviews, they are similar to Top 25 or the ilk for cigars where it's all community based ratings of various pipe blends. Definitely check it out to get a feeling for each blend/type.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
Is it similar to cigars in that you can get a good tobacco (not flavoured) that has a unique flavour profile?
yes.

How long would a typical bowl last?
depends on size of the bowl. most can last easily up to 30-45 minutes, with others nearly 2 hours. very similar to cigars.
it also depends on if you are in a hurry, if you only smoke half the bowl and save the rest for later (yes, you can do that with some tobacco).

I see lots of points about cobs being a good starting point but I would prefer to start with a Briar. Other than flavour ghosting what are the issues associated to a Briar vs others.
um.... i can't think of any. ghosting is the main issue when starting out cuz you want to try a lot of different types of blends.
a way around that is to get a Meerschaum, as they also don't ghost (if they do, it's hard to do).

The only pipe tobacco I can ever remember is associated to flavoured tobaccos which I assume are chemically done similar to cigars (perhaps wrongly assume)
some "natural" tobaccos can taste figgy, or like raisins, or straw... or like pepper... depends on the tobacco and how it's cured.
there are flavored tobaccos, which are done with adding the flavors directly to the tobacco, similar to a "Makers Mark" type cigar.

Anyway not there yet but thought a pipe might be in interesting quick alternative to a cigar. Don't think I am interested in the flavored tobacco so if that is the primary difference???
i don't quite understand this question.
different TYPES of tobacco blends taste differently. like in cigars, you have your maduro, connecticut, corojo, camaroon, etc. they have their own flavors as a backdrop.
with pipe tobacco, the type of blends taste dramatically different.

also, i wouldn't say pipes are a "quick" alternative to cigars.
anyone can cut, light, and puff on a cigar. it takes practice and repitition to smoke a pipe. sure, you can fill the pipe, light it and suck on the stem, it may work. don't think you'll be done with it any quicker than a cigar, or you won't enjoy it (unless you get really small bowled pipes). pipe smoking is a ritualistic experience - some find out they don't like having to do all the things to really enjoy the pipe, cuz they don't enjoy the rituals, they don't enjoy the pipe.

Thanks
comments within the quote.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
Nick
Feeling at Home

First Name: That's confidential
Trading: (4)
Nick is on a distinguished road

Greg pretty much hit the nail on the head. I started with cigars and switched to pipes. Now I won't hardly touch a cigar. I also started with a Briar and it didn't hurt me any, if you are like most of us just one pipe won't do anyway . The flavored tobaccos you refer to are most generally known as Aromatic tobaccos they "usually" have some sort of topping to make them taste a little sweeter i.e. Maple, berry, or some form of liquor. This is fine because there are as many or more non-artificially flavored tobaccos out there, even some blends with cigar leaf. My suggestion to you in terms of tobacco is to sign up for the "Newbie Sampler Trade for Pipe Tobacco, it will expose you to a few different blends and types of tobacco to help you get started if you do decide to pick up a pipe. It is found here. http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9168

Regarding pipes, the scope and spectrum is near as vast as tobacco, this may be why most of us get hooked on pipes so easily an quick. Corn cobs are good work horses you can burn em up and throw them away, they are also quite forgiving to the new smoker. That said it's hard to beat the smoke from a good and well broken in Briar. You can find a very good smoking pipe from Savinelli, Stanwell, and Peterson ( I would recommend staying away from the System Standard).

I think Curly Cut may have made pipe smoking sound like some sort of cult and it isn't quite a few people just fill up any old pipe and puff away, however the casual pipe smoker is not common and the intricacies of a pipe are almost as addicting as the actual smoking of a pipe. tobaccoreviews.com is a great website where people can rate and review different blends it has helped me quite a bit.

Cheers
Old 02-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #7
Curly Cut
Not Scary

yep, sorry, not rocket science at all, BUT... some ppl find they don't like all the tamping, relighting, pipe cleaner, tamping, holding onto the pipe, relight, tamp, etc.
with a cigar, you cut it, light it... done. some ppl prefer that "ease", they'd rather not have a lot of things to do while they "relax".
Old 02-13-2009, 01:20 AM   #8
Nick
Feeling at Home

Hey Fox this is a good page for some one looking for some info that may be new to the pipe.

http://www.pipes.priss.org/howto.php
Old 02-13-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
uncballzer

Fox, the guys above basically answered it. I'll say though, that coming from cigars, as I did myself, you may want to try latakia blends first, traditional englishs, such as Squadron Leader, Frog Morton, Dunhill: 965, early morning pipe, nightcap, and so forth. Cigar smokers tend to gravitate to these blends first as they have more of a cigar like quality, instead of the aromatics. Someone just starting out on anything tends to like the aromatics.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:49 PM   #10
Big D KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncballzer View Post
Fox, the guys above basically answered it. I'll say though, that coming from cigars, as I did myself, you may want to try latakia blends first, traditional englishs, such as Squadron Leader, Frog Morton, Dunhill: 965, early morning pipe, nightcap, and so forth. Cigar smokers tend to gravitate to these blends first as they have more of a cigar like quality, instead of the aromatics. Someone just starting out on anything tends to like the aromatics.
+1 on this! After trying out latakia blends, if you liked spicy cigars, try your hand at Va/Per's! I started out on latakia blends and while I still love them, I am really REALLY digging Va/Per's! I am a Big LFD cigar fan!
Old 02-13-2009, 05:52 PM   #11
Nick
Feeling at Home

There are also some blends that have cigar leaf. Key Largo, Robusto, and Dominican Glory Maduro come to mind.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:45 AM   #12
dogsplayinpoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
There are also some blends that have cigar leaf. Key Largo, Robusto, and Dominican Glory Maduro come to mind.
Key Largo would be my suggestion for a cigar-like tobacco.
Warning to you Fox, the pipe offers a myriad of flavors that overshadow the flavors of a cigar. Before you know it, you light up a favorite stogie only to begin to crave a bowl of quality pipe tobacco.
maybe it is a cult?
Old 02-16-2009, 09:11 AM   #13
SilverFox

A ton of useful information to ponder.

Thank you gentlemen, this will be a slow slope for me. I am not sure yet I wish to pursue, but it is always fun to surf some posts.

What sites for baccy and or accessories would you recommend.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #14
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
What sites for baccy and or accessories would you recommend.
smokingpipes.com
Old 02-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #15
Dennis569

Hey Fox,
What Dogs said!
I've smoked cigars 40 years and have a walk in humidore stuffed to overflowing. I picked up a pipe only a year ago and find myself exploring and learning every day. Lots of good reviews and advice here. I like pipesandcigars.com and 4noggins (love that name).
Old 02-16-2009, 05:08 PM   #16
Nick
Feeling at Home

Smokingpipes.com, and Pipesandcigars.com have the best prices in general that I have seen. Pipesandcigars.com also has the best selection of tobacco (they got alot of ****). However I have heard that the customer service can lack a bit. B/t those two sites I shouldn't think you would need to look anywhere else.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:32 PM   #17
dogsplayinpoker

I wholeheartedly agree with smokingpipes.com and have been using 4noggins lately. These two have very good selections,
Old 02-21-2009, 08:59 PM   #18
perogee
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Robert
Trading: (7)
perogee is on a distinguished road

4noggins is the best for us Canucks (at least in my experience so far). They are wonderful to deal with and have a pretty decent selection of tobacco's to chose from.