Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2008, 06:53 PM   #41
stevieray
Just slacking off

First Name: Steve
Trading: (42)
Bolivar
stevieray has disabled reputation
Default Re: Looking for a SLR camera - any suggestions?

I bought a Nikon D60 for my wife a few months ago. She wanted to upgrade from her point and shoot camera. I did some research online and was going to buy her the Nikon D40 but they were OOS in my area at that time. I also picked up a 55x200 vr zoom lens to go with it as well as an external flash. I think it's a pretty good entry level camera for the price that also has some nice features built into the camera itself. I went this route because she is just getting into photography and has enrolled in a night photography class at a local college. A few years down the road if she gets continues to enjoy photography and gets a better understanding of all that goes with it I will probably look at higher end cameras. For now...I'm happy with the purchase. The D60 takes great photos. I'm sure any DSLR camera you go with will take great pictures wether it be Nikon, Canon, Sony, etc.

Last edited by stevieray; 12-28-2008 at 07:07 PM.
stevieray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:11 PM   #42
Jay Hemingway
I know because of KRS1

Trading: (7)
LFdC
Jay Hemingway will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2010 View Post
you dolt
now that is just nasty...
Jay Hemingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:18 PM   #43
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Hemingway View Post
now that is just nasty...
how do you feel about jackass?
Old 12-29-2008, 06:31 AM   #44
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (83)
HUpmann
Mr.Maduro has disabled reputation

Thanks for all of the great info...please keep it coming. I'm learning a great deal.

Also, if anyone else is following this thread to buy a new camera, buy from a reputable vendor!! If it's too good to be true, it usually isn't!! I'm finding out there are many shady online camera sales websites that are all affililiated with each other and are scam artists. BEWARE!
Old 12-29-2008, 07:19 AM   #45
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Maduro View Post
Thanks for all of the great info...please keep it coming. I'm learning a great deal.

Also, if anyone else is following this thread to buy a new camera, buy from a reputable vendor!! If it's too good to be true, it usually isn't!! I'm finding out there are many shady online camera sales websites that are all affililiated with each other and are scam artists. BEWARE!

........................................I told you so?

What is sad for all reading to also know is that I think I can safely say what Patrick just stated can apply to approximately 90% of these vendors.
Do your research on them before you buy.
Check online for complaints against the vendor and reasons for them.
Bait and switch, grey market products with no US warranties, short on items ordered when received, wrong items sent......on and on, all part of their games.

There is one place and only one place for me when I was a professional photographer and even now in my long retired days........B&H in NYC, that says it all in photography for price, selection, reputation.

The other place that was a favorite of mine mostly because of their ability to customize anything for me was Armato Photo in Long Island. However, Armato was always pricier but completely reputable and man can they build anything custom or repair your equipment. Anyone ever need camera equipment repairs, send them to Tony.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:57 AM   #46
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

A lot of people get all up in arms about grey market. It is the exact same product, made in the same factory, the only difference is in the warrenty. Its just about how it is distributed. There is nothing "grey" about grey market lens or cameras. Its not like they are knockoffs.

Most retailers who sell grey market lens will include a warrenty that equals Canon's manufacturer warrenty (usually the warrenty is provided through Mack).

Another thing, if your purchasing used then it doesnt matter because Canon's warrenty is non-transferable.

I purchase most of my stuff used, and the new stuff I buy here http://www.adorama.com/
Old 12-29-2008, 09:11 AM   #47
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoings View Post
A lot of people get all up in arms about grey market. It is the exact same product, made in the same factory, the only difference is in the warrenty. Its just about how it is distributed. There is nothing "grey" about grey market lens or cameras. Its not like they are knockoffs.

Most retailers who sell grey market lens will include a warrenty that equals Canon's manufacturer warrenty (usually the warrenty is provided through Mack).

Another thing, if your purchasing used then it doesnt matter because Canon's warrenty is non-transferable.

I purchase most of my stuff used, and the new stuff I buy here http://www.adorama.com/
sounds like you run the scam
Old 12-29-2008, 09:11 AM   #48
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:

Plenty of great deals to be had on used equipment.
I have always gone new because in the photography business I was in, I needed reliability and a warranty to address any issues.
Some of my friends bought used stuff that worked very well for them and likewise, some stuff broke down sooner than would be expected as it already had ample wear. That is the risk they took for the discounted price.

However, on the grey market conversation? I would stay totally away from it. While you are right in what you state, if I spend thousands of dollars on a Hasselblad as an example, I want a warranty I can rely on. You are correct that the only difference between the two is the warranty but boy, that is a major difference.

When I bought my D80 over a year and a half ago, the $1600 I spent on my package was significant enough money for me to want to be able to address repairs in my country, directly with a reputable manufacturer as Nikon and not some third party.

Many folks buy grey market stuff of all kinds. Take the Mercedes Benz fad in the 80's as an example and many of them lived to regret it. The savings just doesn't justify it. With camera equipment, you are usually talking small amounts in cost difference. It is not like you can buy a D80 US for $800 now and buy a grey market for $400. The diffence is less. I say to save small amounts of money like that, just don't buy that large. Buy a cheaper camera that you can afford but with a US warranty.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:16 AM   #49
kgoings
Cigarologist

kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vito View Post
sounds like you run the scam
Nope I am not in sales.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:19 AM   #50
kgoings
Cigarologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Plenty of great deals to be had on used equipment.
I have always gone new because in the photography business I was in, I needed reliability and a warranty to address any issues.
Some of my friends bought used stuff that worked very well for them and likewise, some stuff broke down sooner than would be expected as it already had ample wear. That is the risk they took for the discounted price.

However, on the grey market conversation? I would stay totally away from it. While you are right in what you state, if I spend thousands of dollars on a Hasselblad as an example, I want a warranty I can rely on. You are correct that the only difference between the two is the warranty but boy, that is a major difference.

When I bought my D80 over a year and a half ago, the $1600 I spent on my package was significant enough money for me to want to be able to address repairs in my country, directly with a reputable manufacturer as Nikon and not some third party.

Many folks buy grey market stuff of all kinds. Take the Mercedes Benz fad in the 80's as an example and many of them lived to regret it. The savings just doesn't justify it. With camera equipment, you are usually talking small amounts in cost difference. It is not like you can buy a D80 US for $800 now and buy a grey market for $400. The diffence is less. I say to save small amounts of money like that, just don't buy that large. Buy a cheaper camera that you can afford but with a US warranty.

This is true, I just wasnt sure if he was looking used or new. If used, grey market and us model are identical. There was a time when the grey market stuff was quite a bit cheaper. But these days you can usually get the us model from places like adorama for cheaper than the grey market.

I just wanted to make sure he was informed about what grey market is, people hear grey market and think of black market...they are no where near the same thing.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:21 AM   #51
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
I just wanted to make sure he was informed about what grey market is, people hear grey market and think of black market...they are no where near the same thing.
Absolutely a very good point.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:24 AM   #52
kgoings
Cigarologist

Since we got some shutterbugs on here...I won my fantasy football league and I am in the hunt for some new glass.

Looking for an 70-200 2.8 non-IS lens. Keep an eye out...I had the IS version...never used the IS and it was a heavy beast...I shot a 3 day college gymnastics meet and I could barely hold up the camera by the beginning of the 3rd day. But it might have had to do with the fact I was shooting with a Mark III now THATS a camera!
Old 12-29-2008, 09:24 AM   #53
UPHOTO

First Name: Aaron
Montecristo
UPHOTO is on a distinguished road

www.keh.com for used equipment
www.fredmiranda.com for used equipment
www.adorama.com for new
www.bhphotovideo.com for new

And very few others I would suggest, there are some BAD places and if it seems to good to be true then it is every time.
UPHOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:26 AM   #54
kgoings
Cigarologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPHOTO View Post
www.keh.com for used equipment
www.fredmiranda.com for used equipment
www.adorama.com for new
www.bhphotovideo.com for new

And very few others I would suggest, there are some BAD places and if it seems to good to be true then it is every time.
I have used all of the above but KEH...gonna check KEH now for my 70-200
Old 12-29-2008, 09:27 AM   #55
UPHOTO

Montecristo

Quote:
Since we got some shutterbugs on here...I won my fantasy football league and I am in the hunt for some new glass.

Looking for an 70-200 2.8 non-IS lens. Keep an eye out...I had the IS version...never used the IS and it was a heavy beast...I shot a 3 day college gymnastics meet and I could barely hold up the camera by the beginning of the 3rd day. But it might have had to do with the fact I was shooting with a Mark III now THATS a camera!
I would go with the Sigma 70-200 2.8 then. It's just as good and cheaper and lighter.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:27 AM   #56
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

These guys are top notch for used equipment and repairs and custom needs.
They offer all new stuff also but B&H is a better way to go for new.
There is nothing they can't modify.
They cater to professionals primarily.

http://www.armatosvideo.com/
Old 12-29-2008, 09:30 AM   #57
UPHOTO

Montecristo

keh is THE best in used equipment anywhere. Their ratings are so out of control!!! If it say's like new then it's NEW, if it say's bargain then it maybe has a few scratches and scuff marks on the outside of it.

They are very very picky about the quality of what they sell.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:30 AM   #58
kgoings
Cigarologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPHOTO View Post
I would go with the Sigma 70-200 2.8 then. It's just as good and cheaper and lighter.
Are there any reviews on how fast if focuses compared to the Canon?
Old 12-29-2008, 09:33 AM   #59
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (83)
HUpmann
Mr.Maduro has disabled reputation

Nikkor Lenses are not Nikon...correct? How do they compare?
Old 12-29-2008, 09:36 AM   #60
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Nikkor Lenses are not Nikon...correct? How do they compare?
Nikkor is Nikon's name for lenses.

Sort of like Mopar for Chrysler.
Goodwrench for GM.
On and on.