Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #21
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Official 2012 NFL Draft Talk Thread

As a Falcons fan the draft this year will mean nothing until day 2. I like Julio but it sure would have been be nice to draft a top DE to add to our pass rush.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #22
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

First Name: Jarrod
Trading: (51)
Partagas
JenksAnejo has a spectacular aura aboutJenksAnejo has a spectacular aura about

Get rid of Flynn and sign Mario Williams to a huge deal!
JenksAnejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #23
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenksAnejo View Post
Get rid of Flynn and sign Mario Williams to a huge deal!
Williams is best suited with his hand on the ground as a 4-3 DE.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #24
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Agreed, Glenn is projected as both guard and tackle. That's why I think Pitt would be such a good fit; however, with that being said I don't see him lasting after Cincinatti's 2nd first round pick.
We get Willie Colon back next year and a few (untested) kids that got hurt in camp or pre-camp. The Steelers always draft so low that they can't land a premiere Left Guard or Left Tackle, that's a big part of why Ben gets hurt. The D suffered this year, but I think that's age.
We're gonna be in big trouble in the next couple years if we don't solidify some keys spots with prospects.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #25
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I just realized that all 3 backup QB's in Pittsburgh are Free agents this year. Oh, to shed Dennis Dixon. What a wonderful birthday present that would be.
I wonder if Vince Young could play ball in Burgh? He's as big as Ben. Maybe he can play a little better without time to think? (long stretch)
Old 02-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #26
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

Partagas

Quote:
Williams is best suited with his hand on the ground as a 4-3 DE.
I don't disagree with that at all, but if GB can do it why the heck not? The dude has proved he can play as a 3-4 DE, 3-4 OLB and a 4-3 DE
Old 02-25-2012, 07:29 AM   #27
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I don't disagree with that at all, but if GB can do it why the heck not? The dude has proved he can play as a 3-4 DE, 3-4 OLB and a 4-3 DE
I think they could do it but I don't think they will do it. In the end, I think a team that runs a 4-3 is going to throw tons of money his way. Houston with Barwin and Reed (who are young, cheap, and talented) didn't miss Williams all that much, and could really use the cap space on other areas of need.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #28
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

From what I'm hearing, talks are heating up between the Browns/Packers for Flynn. That'd be nice if we can wrangle their second round pick out of them and use it on someone like Brandon Thompson.

Nick Perry had a nice showing at the combine. He sure would look nice opposite Clay Matthews.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #29
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Also, according to the ESPN, the Rams have decided to trade the #2 pick. Possible suitors? The aforementioned Browns, Redskins, and Dolphins. Anyone see a surprise team want/need to jump up there and has the gumption to do so? The only other team I could even see realistically attempting it would be Seattle, but with both teams being in the same division I find it highly unlikely. Even looking at teams that might be interested in moving up to nab Kalil, but I just don't see any others.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #30
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

Partagas

I'm ecstatic that the Rams are trading their 2nd overall. I hope they end up trading with Washington, and getting their #6, a 2nd rounder this year, and a first rounder next year. With the #6 overall we could get Justin Blackmon, and in the 2nd round I could see us getting the big LT out of Iowa St. or Peter Konz center from Wisconsin if he is still available.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #31
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
I'm ecstatic that the Rams are trading their 2nd overall. I hope they end up trading with Washington, and getting their #6, a 2nd rounder this year, and a first rounder next year. With the #6 overall we could get Justin Blackmon, and in the 2nd round I could see us getting the big LT out of Iowa St. or Peter Konz center from Wisconsin if he is still available.
I know you'll disagree with me, but I'm just not a fan of Blackmon, especially when being considered with a top five pick.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #32
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
From what I'm hearing, talks are heating up between the Browns/Packers for Flynn. That'd be nice if we can wrangle their second round pick out of them and use it on someone like Brandon Thompson.

Nick Perry had a nice showing at the combine. He sure would look nice opposite Clay Matthews.
I'm enjoying all the draft talk that involves Cleveland, and they are probably in the driver's seat for the Rams #2 spot. They have #4, #22, and #37. The things they can do are endless.
I just do not see Mike Holmgren giving up on Colt McCoy, period. He's conservative and he's in what, his second year at Cleveland?
They have 3 guys on offense, maybe 4 that could start on another team in the NFL. To dig into those excellent draft positions, start throwing them away, and abandoning the potential draft of a lifetime for a QB like RG3 who hasn't even played in a pro-style offense would be nuts.
Don't get me wrong, I think RG3 is awesome, but he's not a fit for Holmgren's conservatism and he completely dulls the edge they have in this draft.
I really think he stays with McCoy, and maybe even trades off that 4 spot for some sweet meat a little deeper in the draft (or in free agency) if he can gain advantage. He takes a lot of pride in finding raw talent and making a team work, we'll see.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #33
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I just hope the Redskins find some way to land a solid young QB to build around. I am sick of being a place retired QBs come to die!
Old 02-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #34
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I'm enjoying all the draft talk that involves Cleveland, and they are probably in the driver's seat for the Rams #2 spot. They have #4, #22, and #37. The things they can do are endless.
I just do not see Mike Holmgren giving up on Colt McCoy, period. He's conservative and he's in what, his second year at Cleveland?
They have 3 guys on offense, maybe 4 that could start on another team in the NFL. To dig into those excellent draft positions, start throwing them away, and abandoning the potential draft of a lifetime for a QB like RG3 who hasn't even played in a pro-style offense would be nuts.
Don't get me wrong, I think RG3 is awesome, but he's not a fit for Holmgren's conservatism and he completely dulls the edge they have in this draft.
I really think he stays with McCoy, and maybe even trades off that 4 spot for some sweet meat a little deeper in the draft (or in free agency) if he can gain advantage. He takes a lot of pride in finding raw talent and making a team work, we'll see.
And, IMO, Colt McCoy isn't one of them. I think he'd make a decent backup, but when I see Colt I just don't see a starting NFL quarterback. Now, get on the horn with those Cleveland fellas and tell them to go ahead and send that second round pick on up to Green Bay. We'll send Flynn in return. Hell, we'll even throw some cheese curds in for good measure.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #35
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

Partagas

Quote:
I know you'll disagree with me, but I'm just not a fan of Blackmon, especially when being considered with a top five pick.
Just wondering what you don't like about him? Not arguing or anything, I don't think he's a top 5 pick either. That's why I hope the Rams slide back and draft him at #6 or #8. I see Blackmon running a 4.6 and being a very good possesion receiver in the NFL.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #36
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
Just wondering what you don't like about him? Not arguing or anything, I don't think he's a top 5 pick either. That's why I hope the Rams slide back and draft him at #6 or #8. I see Blackmon running a 4.6 and being a very good possesion receiver in the NFL.
I guess part of it stems from the fact that he's being projected as a top five pick. Personally, I think his absolute ceiling is Reggie Wayne. While there's nothing necessarily wrong with Reggie Wayne, you don't spend a top five pick on that, either. He doesn't have near the size/speed/playmaking ability of those who have been taken that high (Andre Johnson/Larry Fitzgerald/Calvin Johnson come to mind) in the past. He's nowhere near that. He's not as big nor as fast as previously thought, which might help quell the top five chatter. To his credit he is a solid route runner and does have solid hands.

Again, all just my personal observation and opinion.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #37
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
I just hope the Redskins find some way to land a solid young QB to build around. I am sick of being a place retired QBs come to die!
I thought that was here in MN.

The Vikes have some big needs. Mostly at WR and DB. Seems that a lot of people are high on Kalil for their spot. If they do that, then I'd hope for them to be a player in the FA market for the other needs that they have. Maybe they trade down and get someone like a Claiborne or Blackmon (I know that some aren't a fan of his, but he fits a need that they have).
Old 02-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #38
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I think it's way past time to get this thing started.

I'm in love with Matt Flynn. I have been for a few years now. It's nice to see him on the market, and I'd like to see him in Miami, but there's a lot of lip going on here in Cleveland about him. No respect lip because Cleveland fans are borderline retarded, but they've totally abandoned Colt McCoy, who's a serviceable QB, and they're all hollering for a QB when they have gaping holes to fill elsewhere.D
Matt Flynn is every franchise's dream, a relatilvely unknown, REALLY SMART quarterback that has most
of the skills. He is not a Aaron Rodgers prototype, but he is not far off a Eli Manning proto, minus the
escapablilty factor. He can avoid some rush, but he cannot rise from the dead like Eli. He would make
a great starting QB, but there is a kind of cautionary tale to be learned from Jake Delhomme. Same type QB,
had some dismal years doing time as a backup, was a star as a starter, but all too quickly began to show that
he didn't exactly have it ALL in the bag of tricks. All that said, obviously I love Matt Flynn, he is a LSU
product and a genuine leader of men. Anyone would be lucky to get him. Not sure Cleveland fans would long
be in love with him, though, Colt McCoy might yet be something worth what they paid him. If they banish
McCoy to the bench or the waiver wire, it will be quite a wicked thing. Might not recover.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #39
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanger View Post
I thought that was here in MN.
No, they just take the Packers castaways...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanger View Post
The Vikes have some big needs. Mostly at WR and DB. Seems that a lot of people are high on Kalil for their spot. If they do that, then I'd hope for them to be a player in the FA market for the other needs that they have. Maybe they trade down and get someone like a Claiborne or Blackmon (I know that some aren't a fan of his, but he fits a need that they have).
Matt Kalil is the best OT prospect to come out since Jake Long.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #40
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I know one thing Scott, Bringing in Mike Wallace would light up Colt McCoy. He is sho nuf the real deal. I would take him
over a high-price on Blackmon. Many would not.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote