Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 04-25-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough
Default Coffee & Cigar Pairing

I was curious to see what cigars other inmates pair with their coffee. I thought it would be cool for us to share our favorite pairs, and even new discoveries. I'm always trying something new with my cigars and coffee, and some are complete misses, but sometimes I'm blown away.

I'll start it off:

Perdomo Lot 23 paired with Deidrich French Roast

The Perdomo is a very mild smoke, great with a morning coffee. I found the woodsy, earthy flavors were mild enough were they didn't linger on your palate so it didn't overpower the flavor of the French Roast. I take my coffee with a little half and half, and the added creaminess really complemented the creaminess of the Perdomo very well.

What pairings have other found to be good?
Old 04-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Coffee & Cigar Pairing

Had a 5 Vegas Classic with Green Mountain Vermont Blend. That went very well, but I noticed towards the end of the cigar the Vegas started to take over that mild blend of coffee.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenyanSandBoa View Post
Had a 5 Vegas Classic with Green Mountain Vermont Blend. That went very well, but I noticed towards the end of the cigar the Vegas started to take over that mild blend of coffee.

That's funny....it's Monday and if my memory serves me correct it's a work day for you.

I like the thread
Old 04-27-2010, 07:54 AM   #4
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Never works for me with regular brew. Either the cigar keeps going out or the coffee goes cold.

Try a maduro with Costa Rican Tarrazu moka, a cuban coffee or plain espresso. One or two gulps and the coffee is gone (no chance it'll get cold) but the flavor hangs in your mouth for another 30-45 minutes; cigar gradually takes over. Good luck in pursuit of perfection.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:09 AM   #5
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsremax View Post
That's funny....it's Monday and if my memory serves me correct it's a work day for you.

I like the thread
Oh, I was working. I was just taking a different approach that you were. (Like setting my laptop up on the deck and enjoying the sun, a coffee, and a smoke. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Never works for me with regular brew. Either the cigar keeps going out or the coffee goes cold.

Try a maduro with Costa Rican Tarrazu moka, a cuban coffee or plain espresso. One or two gulps and the coffee is gone (no chance it'll get cold) but the flavor hangs in your mouth for another 30-45 minutes; cigar gradually takes over. Good luck in pursuit of perfection.
I've found that as well...coffee usually gets cold. I've been using my Keurig and brewing it in smaller cups. I figure it's better to just get a couple of small cups instead of drinking cold coffee.

Thanks for the recommendation...I'll definitley have to give that a try. I'm getting an Aeropress, so I'll be able to make espressos now.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
... I'm getting an Aeropress, so I'll be able to make espressos now.
The cheapest, fastest, easiest, closest thing I know to espresso. It's an amazing little brewer for $29.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsremax View Post
I like the thread
Help me out here, Jon...what have you paired?

I just had an A. Fuente Flora Fina 8-5-8 with a Timothy's Breakfast Blend. Both very mild, yet sweet floral notes. Nothing very complex but with the low cost of these smokes, I could see these becoming a regular early morning smoke.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

Quote:
Help me out here, Jon...what have you paired?
The only thing I have paired with thus far was a 5 Vegas Gold and a Starbucks iced coffee. Very tasty combo.

Without a coffee maker I am limited to Starbucks or DD.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #9
p@rick

Hey guys. I absolutely love the Camacho Connie and the JdN Cabinetta with either Starbucks Sumatra or Caribou Coffee's Obsidian. Its got to be a strong coffee for me for it to go well though. While I do drink a lot of DD, it is not what I want to pair my smokes with. Oliva O is another that I opt for with my coffee.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #10
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by p@rick View Post
Hey guys. I absolutely love the Camacho Connie and the JdN Cabinetta with either Starbucks Sumatra or Caribou Coffee's Obsidian. Its got to be a strong coffee for me for it to go well though. While I do drink a lot of DD, it is not what I want to pair my smokes with. Oliva O is another that I opt for with my coffee.
p@trick, you are my new best friend!! Jon and I were just talking about how this thread is dead, and now I see there is a faint pulse.

Anyway, I digress. I was debating on picking up a Camacho Connie last night, but I went with the Camacho Tripple Maduro instead. I'm a huge fan of the Carbou Obsidian, so I'll definitely have to give that combo a try. I have an O in my humi, so that may have to be next in the rotation. Did you have a favorite coffee pairing for the O?

I'm in the same boat with you that the coffee has to be strong, or I find the cigar absolutely dominates the pairing.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #11
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Last weekend I had some Tanzanian peaberry coffee with a Nub Connecticut. It was a really great pairing, as the coffee is a milder blend and the Nub Connie is a smooth light smoke. I'll smoke any cigar with my coffee, it's one of my fav pairings, but some smokes and coffees just go better than others
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #12
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2600 View Post
Last weekend I had some Tanzanian peaberry coffee with a Nub Connecticut. It was a really great pairing, as the coffee is a milder blend and the Nub Connie is a smooth light smoke. I'll smoke any cigar with my coffee, it's one of my fav pairings, but some smokes and coffees just go better than others
Tanzanian Peaberry, huh? Where can you get that? I've never even heard of it. I seem to be partial with connies in general with a mild, bright coffee, but I'll step it up a bit if I'm drinking somethin with some punch, like an espresso or Komodo Dragon.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:53 AM   #13
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

I actually picked up a half a pound at Target the other week. They had it on sale and I hadn't tried their Archer Farms (Target brand) coffee so I thought I would. Never tried any peaberry coffee before, but so far I've really enjoyed it. My girlfriend who isn't even a big coffee drinker commented on how good it smelled
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #14
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2600 View Post
I actually picked up a half a pound at Target the other week. They had it on sale and I hadn't tried their Archer Farms (Target brand) coffee so I thought I would. Never tried any peaberry coffee before, but so far I've really enjoyed it. My girlfriend who isn't even a big coffee drinker commented on how good it smelled
No kidding...I'm in Target all the time. So is it called Archer Farms Tanzanian Peaberry?

The way I see it, it's worth a shot at least.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #15
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

Quote:
No kidding...I'm in Target all the time. So is it called Archer Farms Tanzanian Peaberry?

The way I see it, it's worth a shot at least.

Shot, shot, shot, shot, shot, shot....everybody! I hope that song is stuck in your head all f*ing day.

I might have to make a run to Bucks this weekend and try another pairing.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:34 AM   #16
farily

The flavors in a good cup of coffee are highly complementary to cigars. Vanilla, mocha, chocolate, and roasted notes, as well as nuttiness and earth, can all be found in both cigars and coffee. In fact, tasting wheels used for coffee tasting would help any cigar smoker identify flavors in his tasty tobacco treat.
But much like bad cigars, people too often think of coffee as bad coffee, akin to the sludge at your workplace. But doing so would be like thinking that all cigars are like Phillies. I fear that, despite the billions of cups of coffee Americans drink every year, many people have never had a really good brew.
Read more: http://blogcritics.org/tastes/articl...#ixzz0r5rCnuma
Old 06-18-2010, 02:12 AM   #17
NTA_Ben

I love coffee with my cigar. My favorite is Black Dog Coffee. Great stuff, especially their Costa Rican blend. I did a review of Jameson cigars and their new coffee, Rock Stone. Damn good stuff too.

http://nicetightash.com/jameson-ciga...-stone-coffee/
Old 06-18-2010, 09:00 AM   #18
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by farily View Post
The flavors in a good cup of coffee are highly complementary to cigars. Vanilla, mocha, chocolate, and roasted notes, as well as nuttiness and earth, can all be found in both cigars and coffee. In fact, tasting wheels used for coffee tasting would help any cigar smoker identify flavors in his tasty tobacco treat.
But much like bad cigars, people too often think of coffee as bad coffee, akin to the sludge at your workplace. But doing so would be like thinking that all cigars are like Phillies. I fear that, despite the billions of cups of coffee Americans drink every year, many people have never had a really good brew.
Read more: http://blogcritics.org/tastes/articl...#ixzz0r5rCnuma

The coffee at my office if horrible...HORRIBLE!! I couldn't imagine anything tasting good with a cup of that schwill. My personal opinion is that if you're spending good money on your smoke, why not spend good money on a decent cup of coffee to pair with it.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #19
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

It's tough to beat a nic puro with a nic bean. Dominican puros and Tanzanian go well, lots of sweet. Kona goes good with chocolate and a nic puro, or almost anything.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:43 AM   #20
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
It's tough to beat a nic puro with a nic bean. Dominican puros and Tanzanian go well, lots of sweet. Kona goes good with chocolate and a nic puro, or almost anything.
I've had some really good experiences with Kona and some of the Gran Reserva Fuentes...especially the 8-5-8.