Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2009, 09:57 AM   #1
Junior

Default Want to do some car audio upgrades

I am looking to replace the factory speakers in the front doors, and replace the factory sub.

Here is what I am looking at. Either the Boston Acoustics 6 ½ inch S65RC or the Polk Audio 6 ½ DB651. The opening in the door is a 6 ¾ with component speakers, and am going to leave the tweeter in there.

As far as sub’s I am looking at the 8 inch JBL GTO804, or the Polk Audio MM840.

I will also need to find a small in size amp to run the sub.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all
Default Re: Want to do some car audio upgrades

The only place I go for car audio is here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/

Been using them for over 20 years--multiple components, different cars, you name it I bought it from there and installed it myself using their directions, help, etc. Very highly recommended.

Good luck with your project!

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

I was in the mobile audio industry for a few years a long time ago, and although the components are much better today then they were back then one thing remains constant: The output will only be as good as the input. Meaning: clean signal in= clean signal out.
Your components sound fine and yes an amp to drive the subs will be needed, but depending on your budget, I would also entertain the thought of a new head unit and/or multichannel amp.

Also keep in mind that many aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm and many factory speakers are not which could affect actual output quality.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
tunes
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (3)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
tunes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
The output will only be as good as the input. Meaning: clean signal in= clean signal out.
Your components sound fine and yes an amp to drive the subs will be needed, but depending on your budget, I would also entertain the thought of a new head unit and/or multichannel amp.

I have a friend that ran in the car audio circuit for a while, even won a few competitions’. If you are doing nothing more than replacing the OEM speakers with quality Aftermarket speakers I don't think the return on investment is that great. You really need to look at a head unit with pre-amp out, multi-channel amp, wire upgrades, etc., but hey, that's just my
Old 04-17-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
BP22
Raiding Gerry's Zero

First Name: Brandon
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
BP22 is on a distinguished road

Ray...I run the Polk DB651s (slim) in the cabin of my boat. I power them off of a Alpine PDX 4.100. I am extremely happy with the sound of the DBs even in an open air enviroment. The PDX amps are great...Class D, run cool, effecient, small and you can pick them up fairly cheap online.

Polk DB651s

Alpine PDX
Old 04-17-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
The only place I go for car audio is here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/

Been using them for over 20 years--multiple components, different cars, you name it I bought it from there and installed it myself using their directions, help, etc. Very highly recommended.

Good luck with your project!
Crutchfield’s is the only place I buy my audio stuff from, and have been for a long time. I have ordered quite a few things out of the catalogs before the internet came about.

I normally do all my work anyway. I have been installing this stuff since before I could drive.

Maybe I am strange or something, but I prefer the stock radio look. I know I won’t get the best sound without changing out the head unit, but one of my door speakers is out so I am thinking of upgrades.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
Junior

Brandon I think that size is what I need. That way it will fit in the compartment beside where the sub is, and it can stay hidden.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #8
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

JBL Polk, and Eclipse are all excellent subs. I agree with what others have said in regards to crutchfield, I bought a sony unit from there and love it.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #9
bigswol2
Feeling at Home

bigswol2 will become famous soon enoughbigswol2 will become famous soon enough

What kind of car is it? I ask because my car came with a really nice Harmon Kardon head unit so I opted to by a Rockford Fosgate 3sixty. This is a wonderful piece that puts a world of adjustment at your fingertips.... well palm powered device. With the signal out of the way I went with MB Quart components (Wonderful) A Precision Power 4 channel and Memphis sub amp and subs. I have the old style Memphis 1000 and as far as power to size that's hard to beat. Are you just replacing to sub or are you building an enclosure?
bigswol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:34 PM   #10
Junior

It is a GMC Yukon.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #11
bigswol2
Feeling at Home

bigswol2 will become famous soon enoughbigswol2 will become famous soon enough

well what did you decide to go with?
bigswol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #12
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

The only head units I have ever owned are ///Alpine
Old 05-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #13
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

I'd also recommend a new head unit if you can swing it. Either way, enjoy the new sound.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:09 AM   #14
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigswol2 View Post
well what did you decide to go with?
Don't know yet. My wife advised me to wait until after Fathers Day, so who knows.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:31 AM   #15
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
It is a GMC Yukon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate View Post
The only head units I have ever owned are ///Alpine
Tell you what I did in my Tahoe. Put an Alpine head unit in, put Polk Momo 6 1/2" components in the front doors and Polk Momo 6 1/2" coax in the rear doors, a JL Audio 8" sub in the back, and powered it all with a 6 channel JL audio amp. Everything fit where the factory stuff was so no extra cutting, fabrication, or anything. Mounted the amp under the rear passenger seat, nicely tucked away. Everything looks factory except for the obviously the head unit.

Now will it rattle the neighbors windows when I pass by? No, but that isn't what I wanted to do. I wanted good, clean sound without spending a fortune on it, Sirius, CD/MP3, and Ipod controls from the head unit. Check, check, check, and check. Couldn't be happier...well I probably could be if I spent twice as much money. It even wishes me a Happy Birthday, Happy New Year, Happy Halloween, Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, and Happy 4th of July. Pretty freaking cool in my book.

rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote