Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #181
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: It's happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
So the end has arrived. So long Club Stogie. Welcome Puff.com. No cigar site is perfect. We find them and become addicted to one or another based upon primarily the people that hang out on them not the look and feel or even the intent of the site owners.

Over time, we all learn a little more about the nature of public on line cigar sites if we pay attention. They differ in fundamental ways. From my perspective there are 3 basic types...

1. Sites started and operated by folks in the cigar business. Pretty straightforward. You know that Fuentes, a Magazine etc owns the site and your expectations are set as such.

2. Sites that started out as hobby boards and evolved into a blend of hobby and revenue producing. CS, CL, CR, CP etc fall into this mold. (All the sites bought or attempted to be bought) The desired vibe is the "community" vs the business of the board. The business is in the background seen only by the owner. When you first join one teh "community spirit" disguises the business side. Over time you gain an understanding of the lay of the land. We know the guy that owns it and know that the site is a passion vs a business and appreciate the fact that ads etc help offset the cost of our homes. Interesting that these are the targets for acquisition as they are primed for moving to "the next level". We get rude awakenings when the hobby board owner decides to cash in on "his hobby/our community".

3. Hobby boards. Fall into 2 categories. Ones that started from scratch with no "family" to start them up and migration based boards.. like here. Most of the from scratch ones die off, very few make it. Seems like longer term folks tend to migrate to these types of boards in general as human nature typically gets in the way of brotherhood somewhere along the way on commercially oriented sites. The fist time they put up an ad they become less of a hobby and more of a business to some small degree and begin the evolution or brotherhood to cash cycle.

New hobby boards get started when there is change in existing boards more often than not. Typically in the past, it has been falling outs among st former friends that leads to creating these new boards. This is a new situation ... Kmart comes to the cigar boards kind of thing.

It's another of the many "slippery slopes".. money. One that is hard to gain objective brotherly traction on once a cigar board owner begins to slide.

I'm sure Mr. Caputo will do fine, make lots of money and flip the thing he builds to a "cigar entity" at some point in time. Lot's of new smokers who do searches and they will be right there at the top for them to find "Puffworld". Difference might be that unlike other boards, there might not be longer term knowledgeable folks to provide "ongoing content" that facilitates personal evolution and growth for new members. Could turn into Cigarboardgateway.com where folks quickly move to another board (once they know boards exist at all) that are less commercially tacky.

or.. this is the future and Puff will rule the cigar board universe with "awesome content", "unique visitors", and cool prizes available to everyone who clicks the ads.

We all choose what we like... there are many choices... so it's all good for someone.
As always, well said.

Insert quote here.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:48 AM   #182
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I take exception with anyone who says this thread is bashing CS....lots of long time "Gorilla" are just expressing the sadness at seeing something they once cherished turned into something....well, different. People who were members there for 5 years or even 5 months want to express their feelings about the change, whether those be feelings of sadness, of anger, or ambivalence. We are all human.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 01-12-2009, 10:51 AM   #183
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I take exception with anyone who says this thread is bashing CS....lots of long time "Gorilla" are just expressing the sadness at seeing something they once cherished turned into something....well, different. People who were members there for 5 years or even 5 months want to express their feelings about the change, whether those be feelings of sadness, of anger, or ambivalence. We are all human.
I think the banner at the top of this forum depicts how many of us long term CS'rs feel today.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #184
mojo65
Relocation Engineer

First Name: mark
Trading: (4)
Punch
mojo65 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
I think the banner at the top of this forum depicts how many of us long term CS'rs feel today.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #185
piperman

Well I started there (CS) in 2005 and never really posted much and never really fitted in at least I dont think so, I tried. But I do miss it seems like a friend has just died but at least I can get a fresh start here. I dont think Puff will ever replace CS or come close to CA.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #186
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
Functionally, it seems to work like a vbullitin app. I don't think it is though.
It appears that vbulletin is still handling the forum portion.
The front page is cnn layout (compare them side by side) with cigar "content" surrounded by ads.
Looks like ads and so forth are driven by shareasale.com and bigresponse.com
Then there is vbSEO providing LinkBacks, URL rewriting, etc...

Old 01-12-2009, 11:25 AM   #187
ahc4353

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Since CA was started it was asked by the 11 not to get into any type of CS negativity. I felt this thread could head that way. My comment was meant to have guys think before posting. That was all. I should of not said anything as I am not a MOD. I apologize for that.

I clearly don't have the wisdom to know what is opinion and what is bashing. Case in point, I had posted some of MY opinions in my later days of CS to have them deemed bashing by the new MODs there.

Let the opinions continue!

Old 01-12-2009, 11:36 AM   #188
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post

Is that your opinion or are you bashing the idea of allowing opinions?

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
Old 01-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #189
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

I only started this thread as an alert, that our old home was finally being dismantled for the new edition.

I will continue to participate in the pipe forum over there, but that will be the extent of it. Unless I can get those people to join over here

in any case, keep sharing, gotta get it all out, and move on
Old 01-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #190
ahc4353

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
Is that your opinion or are you bashing the idea of allowing opinions?

You should know, you're a MOD for Christs sake!

Old 01-12-2009, 11:39 AM   #191
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Since CA was started it was asked by the 11 not to get into any type of CS negativity. I felt this thread could head that way. My comment was meant to have guys think before posting. That was all. I should of not said anything as I am not a MOD. I apologize for that.

I clearly don't have the wisdom to know what is opinion and what is bashing. Case in point, I had posted some of MY opinions in my later days of CS to have them deemed bashing by the new MODs there.

its ok Al, its Monday and we know you arent in the right state of mind... plus, nobody listens to you anyway

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #192
KidRock
Moped Herf Crew

First Name: Jon
Trading: (17)
Trinidad
KidRock has disabled reputation

it is sad to say goodbye to an old friend but the new forum that was created is just great....Especially that cranky old guy named Al Just kiddin
Old 01-12-2009, 11:46 AM   #193
DBall
Cigar Jesus

First Name: Dan
Trading: (46)
RyJ
DBall has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidRock View Post
Especially that cranky old guy named Al Just kiddin
Of course you're kidding. Al sucks.

Sorry, it's Monday!!!

Old 01-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #194
BP22
Raiding Gerry's Zero

First Name: Brandon
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
BP22 is on a distinguished road

Definitely an end of an era...just sad.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #195
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

The king CS is dead!
All hail the King Cigar Asylum!
Old 01-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #196
Tim D.
Still a gorilla at heart

First Name: Tim
Trading: (2)
Cuaba AirForce (Served With Honor)
Tim D. is on a distinguished road

I will truly miss CS, and I have to say that I am a little saddened today. I joined in April, '07, and the folks there helped me down the slippery slope on a rocket sled. I have met some great people at some great herfs, and hope to do so again through CA. I'm an inmate now (many times in the past people have said that I should be one!), but I will always be a gorilla at heart!
Old 01-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #197
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:

You should know, you're a MOD for Christs sake!
Wrong.
im not just any mod, but a mod that has been specially assigned just to watch you.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
Old 01-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #198
ahc4353

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidRock View Post
it is sad to say goodbye to an old friend but the new forum that was created is just great....Especially that cranky old guy named Al Just kiddin
I know you were Jon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBall View Post
Of course you're kidding. Al sucks.

Sorry, it's Monday!!!

And don't you have a new bride you should be taking care of there Mr. SmartA$$?

Old 01-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #199
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Wrong.
im not just any mod, but a mod that has been specially assigned just to watch you.

Kelly drew the short straw.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #200
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post

Kelly drew the short straw.
Closed Thread