Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-31-2010, 12:25 AM   #21
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: Quick Question about B&M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drez View Post
However when it is a specialty store like a b&m or liquor store it is presumed that you have to be a Certain age to buy any of the goods in that store. Therefore that is why underage people are not allowed in liquor stores.

If the shop owner allows you to come in I highly doubt he will allow you to smoke while you are at his place of business because if something happens or someone reports him to the ATF, police, or state he can and will have his permits pulled. Even if it doesn't go that far he could still have a bad rap around town and take away his business.

My .02 cents would be browse online and read up on things. Then make a wish list of things you know are cheap and easy to find at the b&m. Then once you turn 18 you can go buy a stick or two and socialize with the regulars and owner.

Just out of respect I would not go nor smoke in the b&m because you put yourself and the owner at risk that can easily be avoided.

I'm sorry to sound like the bearer of bad news but I'm just trying to tell you how i see it. 8 months goes by quick just wait it out buddy.
This is great advice

Time might go slow, enjoy it. Before you know it you'll be 18 and can do as you would like. Then it may take eternity but after that you'll be 21....then 25. (There will be a few "forgotten years")

My point is I 2nd Drez recommendation. Time flies....FAST. If you think it doesn't wait till you're there. Go In when you're 18 and don't worry about it. It takes a lot off your shoulders and makes it enjoyable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb913 View Post
Alright, well what if I were to go to the BM just to buy say a new cutter? I mean, like I said I haven't been carded when buying chew before, so apparently I seem over-age. If no one asked me how old I was if I did smoke, how would anyone think to report them?
If you really need a cutter.....order it online. You're time will come. It's just not worth ruining it with them before you turn 18. They might never allow to return.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:34 AM   #22
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Alright, well what if I were to go to the BM just to buy say a new cutter? I mean, like I said I haven't been carded when buying chew before, so apparently I seem over-age. If no one asked me how old I was if I did smoke, how would anyone think to report them?
I understand that you just want to hang out and get to know people but it's the what if's that you need to think about.

Realistily will you get caught... Prob not

Will they card you .... Maybe

Is it ok to got a new cutter.... Sure but what is wrong with getting one on the net. It will prob come out cheaper anyways.

It's your call man. I just look at it as a repect thing. I know that if inwas a b&m owner and found out now or even later on down the road that a underage guy was coming to my store knowing he shouldn't be there would prob tick me off a bit.

Like has been said do what you want. If you think you will be ok and they will just you stand around and bring your own sticks and smoke then that's fine. If you think they might I'd you and kick you out then stay home.

Remember in the end it's your choice on what you wanna do.
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:44 AM   #23
TheFool

In my experience I've never been carded until I was making a purchases. Having said that I didn't start smoking until I was 18, so it's never been a problem.

Here's my advice though: I would advise you not to go. It sounds like it's out of your way, you may not be able to purchase anything, or even walk in, and they wont let you hang and smoke with them. You are under the legal age to smock tobacco, depending on the state laws they can get in a lot of trouble for allowing you to smoke with them, and they have no reason to protect / allow you to smoke with them seeing as you can't be a "real" customer of theirs. Find some friends who are interested in cigars and share a stick with them, that's my advice.

What ever you choose, good luck.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:19 AM   #24
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
As some of you know I am sure.. I am underage, about 9 Months till I reach the "golden age". But I wanted to run into my B&M tomorrow or monday (depending on when they're open).

Will they try and card me when I walk in the door? Or will I be ok to take a look around? I know a B&M my uncle took me to in Cleveland carded me the second I walked in, and I got the boot. Are all B&M's like this or just some? Either way it is worth the risk to drive out there. I was just wondering as to what to expect.

Please take it easy on the age topic, I know many of you frown upon me being here.
If you go in my shop, I'd kick you right straight out. It's not worth the risk of fine to allow someone underage to stay. If you ever want to do business at that shop again, or enjoy it's amenities, stay out for now and go visit when you're legal.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:25 AM   #25
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

I've never been carded at a B&M, even when I go in there asking for recommendations.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:34 AM   #26
Krish the Fish
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Krishna
Trading: (2)
Trinidad
Krish the Fish is on a distinguished road

There are other issues here as well... Think about this too: if you're there, and they let you smoke there and hang out with everyone there, don't you think anyone there will be like, "Dude, you look young. How old are you?" Then you're stuck in a position where you'll have to lie to a fellow BOTL or risk getting kicked out of the store.

I don't know, if it were me, I wouldn't risk it... I'd just wait it out for the couple months that you have until you turn 18. Time flies man, and I can tell you that firsthand: I've been smoking since right before I turned 18, and I'm turning 20 in 2 months.
Krish the Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:55 AM   #27
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuceone View Post
I've never been carded at a B&M, even when I go in there asking for recommendations.
How old are you? And how old do you appear to be?
Old 12-31-2010, 08:55 AM   #28
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusianator View Post
If you go in my shop, I'd kick you right straight out. It's not worth the risk of fine to allow someone underage to stay. If you ever want to do business at that shop again, or enjoy it's amenities, stay out for now and go visit when you're legal.
Wise words.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:31 AM   #29
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

I still get carded...
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:37 AM   #30
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
I still get carded...
AARP card?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:44 AM   #31
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Hahaha damn it, Tom! You beat me to it!
Adriftpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:43 AM   #32
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

I know here in NC if you can smoke in the B&M you have to be 18 to enter. At my local you get carded at when you walk in. New state law was passed. Normally if I was just going in to pick up a smoke I could walk in with the kids and have them sit on the couch while I picked up a smoke. Now they stay in the lobby. Bottom line you know your under age and that those are the rules. I would think twice about putting a business owner in a position where they could have a licence pulled because you dont want to wait till you are 18. Just my opinion. I think it is great that you are excited about the cigar lifestyle and are ready to legally get some smokes. I would not burn a bridge with a B&M that you could be enjoying in a few months when you turn 18.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:36 PM   #33
Cattani

I don't see any problem going in and buying a cutter. But, I've also been THAT asshole that has bought other tobacco products starting at age 16 and not thought anything of it (I look 5 years older than I am, always have). I'd call and ask if you have to be 18 to enter...if so, don't go.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:57 PM   #34
warren G.
Also a WIS.

First Name: Duy
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
warren G. is on a distinguished road

When I first start going to my B&M, I would get card. so it really depends on the store...

EDIT: Time really does fly back fast. I start smoking when I was 19, I just turn 21 and I've been drinking scotch since I got into cigars. Now I can finally walk into one of my favorite liquor store and pick up a bottle with out bugging my older friends.

Last edited by warren G.; 12-31-2010 at 02:08 PM.
warren G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:04 PM   #35
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Screw the law. Go in and buy some cigars at 17, then drive home drunk.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:17 PM   #36
justonemorestick
Kat Krap Kontanment Media

First Name: Warren
Trading: (13)
justonemorestick is on a distinguished road

I guess it depends if you wear your seatbelt and drive the speed limit or not. If you choose to ignore some laws you probably will ignore others. Just remember if you do get tossed they may ban you from coming back after you are 18 just something to consider.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:27 PM   #37
macsauce13
Have My Own Room

First Name: McKenzie
Trading: (38)
macsauce13 has a spectacular aura aboutmacsauce13 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Agreed.
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:34 PM   #38
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
You forgot the hookers.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:48 PM   #39
Drez
The Warden

Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

Yay another DUI arrest for me.......
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:06 PM   #40
druturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
You forgot the hookers.
And the dead hooker in the trunk.