Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
the MacDonald
Grey beard, funky wierd

First Name: Joe
Trading: (9)
Trinidad
the MacDonald will become famous soon enough
Default Oliva Series V Liga Especial Belicoso

Pre-light—a 5x54 torpedo, the only thing I don’t love about these is they are short. I bought theses from someone on here a few years ago. I think it has at least 3 years of age on it now. This stick is stout, and feels like you could hammer a nail with it, then light it up and enjoy the afternoon.

Cold-draw—it’s a V! Coco, the high notes of espresso, leather, earthy and lush
Light/1st third—this is why I love cigars. Wafting smoke that carried the essence of the Jalapa Valley. It is dark earth lush—the moment a beautiful flamenco dancer locks eyes with you across a steamy bar in the bad part of town. Lush and dark is the alpha-omega of the V line.

2nd 3rd—As I said, this is not my favorite vitola. I enjoy cigars too much to be so close to the end so close from the beginning, but here is the alchemy missing from the Cain Lancero, coffee and meat morph into almost a Mexican mole sauce, spice, chocolate work on a meaty texture—a trip to the Mexican restaurant might be in order—green and red peppers, a hint of blue agave tequila sweet funk.

3rd 3rd—the end is nye…more tropical lusty lushness. The mole dish osculates with leather, hints of oak and dark earth. There’s so much going on here at the same time. I really prefer the Churchill vitola in these because there is room for the liga to stretch out and play properly, but at the same time these smoke so slowly they seem to bend time…ok, maybe some hyperbole here. I popped the band off and the wind grabbed it. I smoked this halfway down the cone shaped cap.

Conclusion—If it’s not obvious, I am an enthusiastic Oliva V fan. I really shouldn’t call this a review. It is more of a report on how much I love Oliva V’s. I can’t find a negative in them outside of not lasting eternally. They are spicy, meaty, and satisfying. I believe that some things just resonate with person chemistry, and these resonate, or even harmonize with mine. I am scowering the net for lancero and/or Churchill varieties to help me through the summer. If I come up against you in any of the cigar auction sites for these, well, I’m sorry.

This review, or it's lack of critical eye reminds me of a review I did in college of Casandra Wilson’s Traveling Miles. The professor’s notes read something like, “well, this would be a great press release…” Her song, Runs the Voodoo Down is a fair representative of the Oliva V line. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHaavej9Kso
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140421_152450.jpg (58.2 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg 20140421_154715.jpg (103.0 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg 20140421_160041.jpg (106.3 KB, 295 views)
Old 04-22-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Oliva Series V Liga Especial Belicoso

Nice review! My reaction to the descriptions you eloquently wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JfzMqwltHk

I've never been disappointed by an Oliva V. It's just an all-around great smoke.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
Sweet_Leaf_PDX
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jason
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Sweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enoughSweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enough

Nice review! I agree with you, every Oliva V that I have ever smoked has been very enjoyable for me.
Sweet_Leaf_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Great review. The V is an awesome cigar
Old 04-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #5
the MacDonald
Grey beard, funky wierd

First Name: Joe
Trading: (9)
Trinidad
the MacDonald will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
Nice review! My reaction to the descriptions you eloquently wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JfzMqwltHk

I've never been disappointed by an Oliva V. It's just an all-around great smoke.
I'll see your Hedley Lamarr and raise you a Mongo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10