Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 04-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
Tyler

Default PAD - A Horror Story

We all experienced it and if not then you most likely will sometime in the near future. It is very frustrating and has been known to make a grown man or two cry, or at-least break their heart. What am I talking about? The one that got away.

From time to time pipe smokers will fall prey to a sickness identified as PAD, Pipe Acquisition Disorder. Sadly, if you are in fact a pipe smoker then chances are you or someone you love has been diagnosed with this disorder. It is a painful disorder that begins deep in the bowels of a man. It starts as a whisper and grows into a roar. “I must buy pipes!” says the man stricken with PAD and off he goes to peruse the flea markets, local shops, and websites for a new acquisition. Everyone is always told there is a happy ending. Man with PAD goes looking for pipe, man finds pipe, man purchases pipe, and man is happy. However, life is not as simple. May the following story serve as a warning.

On this particularly evening, last night to be exact, a certain man received news that he was going to be acquiring genuine United States currency for a particular upcoming holiday. Ecstatic about the incoming cash flow, the man proceeded to ponder upon what he should buy. He first thought of purchasing a gift for his beautiful girlfriend. He decided this was a viable option and decided to browse the internet for an item to bequest upon his girlfriend. He reached the website and felt a twinge in his stomach. Some voice deep within was telling him this was not right, this money would be wasted. He felt perplexed. How then was he supposed to spend this money? It was then that the man heard an almost faint whisper say, “pipes”. Pipes? But of course! He quickly flipped over to Marty Pulvers website to look at the beautiful pipes he had for sale. Alas, none were found to be pleasing to both the wallet and eyes. He resolved to email Marty Pulvers and inquire about the possibility of new pipes being listed. It was while waiting for Marty to email him back that the man became tired. He decided he would go to bed early and in the morning he would spend the currency. After a restful night’s sleep the man awoke eager and ready to check his inbox. Alas, an email from Mr. Pulvers! He quickly opened the email which advised him to check the website yet again as there were new pipes available. The man eagerly pulled up the website and began browsing the pipes available. Egad! A pipe freshly listed, both pleasing to the eyes and the wallet! The man proceeded to dial Marty and inquire about the pipe. Marty answered and sadly told the man the pipe had already been spoken for. How could this be as the pipe had only been listed for not even an hour? The man said his regards to Marty thanking him for his time, and hung up. The man proceeded to sink in his chair as he sat quietly. It was: THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY.

The previous story is in fact true and occurred just today. May it be a warning to all who suffer from PAD that there is not always a happy ending.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
SeeingRed13
Wooo Pig Sooie!

First Name: Spencer
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
SeeingRed13 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: PAD - A Horror Story

I had this same thing happen with a Benni Jorgensen Swan pipe around Christmas time. So, I got a picture of the pipe & sent it to Stephen Downie... and if you all saw the thread I made a few weeks back, you've seen the result.

Don't be disheartened, Tyler. The one that got away CAN be "got back." But whether or not that pipe will still be as appealing to the wallet, that cannot be guaranteed.
SeeingRed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeingRed13 View Post
I had this same thing happen with a Benni Jorgensen Swan pipe around Christmas time. So, I got a picture of the pipe & sent it to Stephen Downie... and if you all saw the thread I made a few weeks back, you've seen the result.

Don't be disheartened, Tyler. The one that got away CAN be "got back." But whether or not that pipe will still be as appealing to the wallet, that cannot be guaranteed.
Thanks Spencer! I never thought of it that way haha.

By the way, I have a few random questions. You alluded to visiting the Fayetteville tobacco store before. Do they have a sit down area to smoke? And do they have decent prices? Fayetteville is much closer to me than Bentonville.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
SeeingRed13
Wooo Pig Sooie!

First Name: Spencer
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
SeeingRed13 is on a distinguished road

Well, in good conscience I can't say that I've been there very recently (maybe once in the last 4 months). The last time I went in though, they had really rearranged since the times past when I was a regular customer. I think the updated interior arrangement had a small sitting area though. As far as prices go, I'd say they're a little on the high side, but I do most of my purchasing online these days, so a lot of shops seem relatively expensive.

My friends and I used to really like the help that worked there & when we were relatively new to smoking they consistently pointed us toward good cigars & good pipe tobacco. Unfortunately, those two no longer work there & it's really not been the same (in my opinion) since. Don't let that deter you from checking it out though...
SeeingRed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

First Name: Corey
Trading: (23)
LGC
CoreyD has a spectacular aura aboutCoreyD has a spectacular aura about

I had my eye on a few Bjarne and Ben wade free hands and a nording signature all in great condition,that got away<I'm a sucker for rustic freehands> , makes me impulse bid on ebay when 1 catches my eye now but I have a really low limit. Not trying to insult the makers or sellers but I have to watch my hobby spending and it puts a damper on what I get at times.