Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Tatuaje Cojonu 2012 Capa Especial

A few days ago I wrote about, and reviewed, the Tatuaje Cojunu 2012 and in the past I would have used the same introduction for this cigar, but late last year I decided to upgrade my blog, not only with a 100 point scoring system, a regular schedule of reviews, a monthly lancero review but also decided that my reviews needed to become a bit better, less lazy, more personal so I can’t get away with that anymore, and I don’t even want to get away with that anymore. So for the background story on the box and the Cojonu, please check my review from a few days ago.

Now the Tatuaje Cojonu 2012 Capa Especial, what’s so special about it? Well, first of all, its special because of the wrapper used. Instead of an Ecuadorean Habano that was used on all previous Cojonu releases Pete Johnson decided to make a trio of cigars, one with the regular Ecuadorean Habano but also one with a Connecticut Broadleaf (see previous review) and this one, with a Sumatra wrapper from Ecuador. The size is, just like the Connecticut Broadleaf version 6 1/2×52 and box pressed. The wrapper is a little lighter in color than the broadleaf version but still relatively dark and it looks quite leathery, but still beautiful with no big veins. I do feel a little dent in the cigar right in the middle, hopefully that won’t affect the draw, smoke and smoking time. I have the same issues with the ring as with the Reserva, the bottom ring doesn’t fit the regular Tatuaje ring although because of the color white instead of black it’s less of an annoyance. The aroma is quite nice, like an earthy cacao aroma, medium strong.

Once again I used my punch, which has lately been my favorite way of decapping a cigar. The cold draw is great, with a mild taste or raisin and some ground white pepper. I used a soft flame to light the cigar and I taste a soft coffee with milky chocolate and nutmeg. The cigar is friendlier than the broadleaf version. The nutmeg replaced the coffee completely, the chocolate is still there but very weak, i also get some citrus. There’s also a hint of cinnamon in the flavor palate. The flavors are quite dry.

After a third I taste some toast with some hazelnut and still some of the spices. Halfway the cigar gets more toasty with some cedar and a cinnamon nutmeg mixture. Every few puffs I taste chocolate too. The cigar also gets spicier with mild pepper on the background. After two thirds I taste cedar with spices, a mild white pepper, citrus and a little freshness but it’s all replaced soon with nuts, pepper and citrus.

The smoke is medium thick and a decent volume. The draw is great. The ash is white, dense and firm. The burn is straight, but not as slow as the reserva. The cigar is very well balanced with plenty of evolution. The smoke time is an hour and forty minutes.

Would I buy this cigar again? I prefer this blend over the reserva with the Connecticut broadleaf.

Score: 92

https://cigarguideorg.wordpress.com/...capa-especial/