Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-03-2021, 04:27 AM   #1
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (5)
RA
gomeitsmybday will become famous soon enoughgomeitsmybday will become famous soon enough
Default Coolidor question!

Hey everyone!

So I've been enjoying my Coleman 120 quart coolers (3 total) functioning as my stash for long term aging humidors. I've had a few hiccups along the way (had to seal the spouts, and one required some weather stripping which works great btw) but generally speaking they have served me well.
However, I've noticed lately that by using 2 separate wifi (remote) hygrometers that the bottom of the coolidors often has a much higher rh than the top region. As much as an entire 1% difference.

Now...I've already done some preliminary research and found that some people recommend using a small battery powered fan to circulate the air within the coolidor which is a swell idea imo but there is a problem. Most people are recommending the Oust air freshener fan and it appears they have been discontinued for some time now.

I've actually even taken it upon myself to rig up some computer fans to a battery which worked great initially, but managed to completely drain the battery in a matter of days. I've considered trying to research and find a way to rig a timer to the fan & battery but my electrical engineering knowledge is limited at best.

So with all of that said, do any of you use fans in your coolidors/humidors? If so what fan do you use? Ideally looking for an affordable option but really open to any suggestion. Or, alternately, do you think that a 1% difference in rh within areas of s coolidor is fine? Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions and feedback!!
gomeitsmybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:05 AM   #2
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Re: Coolidor question!

I've Been Using Coolidors With Boveda Packs For Years Without Fans. I Wouldn't Worry About A 1% Difference In RH. Just Change Out The Boveda Packs When They Get Brittle.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:39 AM   #3
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Like Greg says, don’t sweat a 1% difference.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:24 AM   #4
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

I do not believe a 1% difference matters. I enjoy my cigars best between 62-65%, so if top is near 62-63% you should be good.

Just my opinion.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:10 AM   #5
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA
gomeitsmybday will become famous soon enoughgomeitsmybday will become famous soon enough

Awesome! Thanks guys that is such a relief, always feels better to get a general consensus from everyone here as I know how much cumulative experience there is in this community.

Last edited by gomeitsmybday; 02-03-2021 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Terrible grammar, but what else is new?
Old 02-03-2021, 09:41 AM   #6
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

As already stated, I believe you are fine without a fan. I too had a coolidor with 200+ cigars in it, no fan, no damage.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:43 AM   #7
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Glad you got your questions answered, Michael. My answers would have been the same.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:12 AM   #8
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

For the sake of redundancy, I'm going to add that you have nothing to worry about

Pick a range you're comfortable with, something like a 3-4* wind (ex/ 61-65) and address it when it falls out of that window
Old 02-03-2021, 01:11 PM   #9
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
For the sake of redundancy, I'm going to add that you have nothing to worry about

Pick a range you're comfortable with, something like a 3-4* wind (ex/ 61-65) and address it when it falls out of that window
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:28 AM   #10
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

In the far east, they keep their stogies at about 50%. So, your only real worries are getting too high a humidity level- say above 75%. Anything between 50-75 should be fine, then you can adjust to preference. It's really not rocket science, no matter what the putative experts say. The gospel used to be 70/70 humidity, temperature. Now, 65% is preferred. And, if you keep the seagars between 60-75 degrees, you should be fine. Worry less, smoke more!

PS: I ONLY use coolerdors, I have 10 large ones, and use Boveda almost exclusively, including the big brick ones. Some beads as well. Mine stay about 60% and 70 degrees.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:11 AM   #11
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

The beads I found worked great in the coolier. Boveda for 'smaller' travel humidors.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:59 AM   #12
DAFU
Duke of Prunes

First Name: Dave
Trading: (35)
HUpmann
DAFU will become famous soon enoughDAFU will become famous soon enough

If your 'dors are close to practical capacity and the 'gars in boxes then I doubt that a fan would have any impact at all. I would be more concerned with temperature swings which is why the basement is an ideal storage space, for myself anyways.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:34 PM   #13
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

As others have noted, a 1% difference is not much to worry about. However, I still use a battery operated fan because my it keeps air circulating even in a full humidor. There are several types of these fans available on Amazon — just search for “Battery Operated RV Refrigerator Fan”; for example:

https://www.amazon.com/Beech-Lane-Fr...s%2C186&sr=8-5

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 03:59 AM   #14
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
As others have noted, a 1% difference is not much to worry about. However, I still use a battery operated fan because my it keeps air circulating even in a full humidor. There are several types of these fans available on Amazon — just search for “Battery Operated RV Refrigerator Fan”; for example:

https://www.amazon.com/Beech-Lane-Fr...s%2C186&sr=8-5

Excellent thanks for the link Michael!! I might still check that out then just to see what I think of having a fan in one of the coolidors.