Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-05-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road
Default Graycliff vintage 99 blue label

I wish I had better things to say about this little robusto. I had never smoked a Graycliff before and I've always thought they were a little pricey. This one's been sitting in the humi about 2 years now and I was excited to finally give it a try. sorry no pics but if you're interested this is it.

http://www.stogieguys.com/sg-content...be0242be21.jpg

Pre-light was typical delicious sweet tobacco. Toasted up real nice but the first few draws were bitter, bitter, nasty bitter. just unpleasant. I suppose the only positive comparison I could make would be straight espresso, no milk, no sugar.

The ash was dark grey with some black (not unlike a typical Cuban) but weak. We're talking, not even an inch would stay together before dropping. I tried to smoke slowly to minimize the bitterness but the damn thing had to be almost constantly nursed to avoid going out. I could'nt set it down for more than 60 seconds without having to puff like crazy to get it going again.

The bitterness started to fade about 1/2 way through and I could enjoy the taste a little more but the flavors didn't really develop into anything impressive. just straight tobacco, not sweet, spicy, or cocoa, just sort of blah. not bad, enjoyable but boring, more like a decent bundle cigar than a $15 premium smoke. I stuck with it until it started to get hot which didn't take much because of constant puffing necessary to keep it going.

I try not to take cost into account when reviewing a cigar and this one was part of a trade so I didn't really pay for it but had I bought this myself I would have been severely disappointed. I understand these retail for for around $15. The same I would expect to pay for a Padron 64 or Opus X. The flavor was just not even in the same universe as I would expect from any cigar in this price range.

I haven't given up on this brand but I don't think I'll be buying any with my own money. Nevertheless, I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on Graycliff cigars in general since it doesn't seem to be a widely discussed brand. For instance, why the high price? scarcity? If there are some good one's out there that are worth the $$$, which line is the best?

I apologize to any Graycliff whores here. By all means, share your thoughts so I might be willing to give this brand another try.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
ashmaster

Default Re: Graycliff vintage 99 blue label

So far I've tried their Red Label Original, Blue Label Profesionale, Pearl Label Crystal, and Black Label Espresso and really didn't care for the flavor profile on any of them. I do have a Double Expresso that's been sitting for almost a year that I need to try, so we'll see what happens.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
mcmoyer
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Michael
Trading: (25)
Navy (Served With Honor)
mcmoyer is on a distinguished road

I was gifted a few of these awhile back but haven't tried one yet...we'll see. I have tried the 1666 & thought it not worth the asking price.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Graycliffs have been very hit and miss for me. I did get a mazo of Double Espressos a year or so ago that have been incredible, but the rest have been real spotty.
I have a pile of 1666's that should be about ready to try. I've only ever had one, but it was still sick. It was awful, too.
Thanks for the review!!!