Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-29-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Don Ursulo Sublime (Costa Rica blend)

Little over a year ago I was browsing the internet for information about cigars and I stumbled across the website of Don Ursulo, a cigar maker from Costa Rica and after a few mails he decided to send me a sampler of his cigars in exchange for reviews. When I got the cigars they were very young and had a clear ammonia aroma to them so I decided to let them rest and today I am keeping my end of the deal for this blend and vitola, the Costa Rica Sublime, made with the secret C blend. Don Ursulo also has a Nicaraguan puro, which I will review soon. You can tell the blends apart by the different color cigar band.

Well, back to the cigar, the C-blend Costa Rica one, the Sublime, 6.33 inch and a 54 ring. The cigar has a nice soft silky feel and the construction seems fine, no hard or soft spots in the construction. I like the simple band. The wrapper is pretty and the cigar has a barnyard aroma to it. The predraw is good.

After lighting I could taste cedar with a slight hint of coffee. The structure is quite dry and so I need a drink with this cigar. Because I am reviewing and want a clear palate I have a glass of water. The flavor is pretty full but quite one dimensional; there isn’t much depth in it. The same flavor all over the cigar, a nice flavor though.

The draw is fine, the burn is better than average. The dark ash is firm and this full flavored medium bodied produces the right amount of smoke.

Would I buy this cigar again? Maybe, depends on the price

Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Appearance: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Aroma (first part) 7 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 7 / 10
Aroma (last part) 7 / 10
Old 01-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
dentonparrots

Default Re: Don Ursulo Sublime (Costa Rica blend)

Thanks for the great review.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
LordOfWu

Nice review! With a good price point sounds like it might not be a bad everyday type of smoke...looking forward to the Nic Puro review!
Old 01-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

it is a nice smoke for a herf, when you're not really concentrating on the cigar but on the company, not trying to discover flavors but having a nice conversation. The cigar would suit such an enviroment, as there is more then enough flavor, just not enough depth.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

I must say the cigar itself looks quite good. Might be one I have to try out and give a shot.

Thanks for the review bro
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #6
Smoke Naked
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bill
Trading: (0)
CoastGuard (Served With Honor)
Smoke Naked is on a distinguished road

Thank you for all your fabulous reviews. Being new to cigars I can't get enough of these reviews and yours are laid out great.

♥ ♦ Palio Fanboy Here ♣ ♠
Smoke Naked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:01 AM   #7
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

thank you