Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
themadurokid
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Kirbee
Trading: (0)
themadurokid is on a distinguished road
Default First CA Review: Tatuaje Miami FF 2009 (Cojonu 2nd)

First, I must give a big thanks to Whodeeni for providing me with this great cigar for my first review. I also must say that I forgot to take a picture of the stick previous to lighting it. Ok, here we go…

Cigar: Tatuaje Miami FF 2009 (Cojonu 2nd)
Size: 6 ¾ X 47
Origin: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua

Appearance and Construction (5/5): The wrapper of this cigar has a few thin veins, but I sure wouldn’t call it anything to complain about, in fact it was pretty seamless. It was very well constructed, with no soft spots or real imperfections. It is beautifully topped with a triple belicoso cap.

Flavor & Notes (4/5): I found the scent of the wrapper of this cigar mildly laced with a blend of cedar and tobacco. The foot of the cigar greeted my nose warmly with notes of pepper and fruit. The prelight draw offered some coffee, sweet cedar, and mysterious fruity essence that lingered on my palate. Upon lighting, more cedar and fruit whisper up through my nose, teasing me of what’s to come. The first third is spectacular. My palate is graced with a cool smooth blend of sweet evergreens, oak, straw and a fruit growing stronger with every draw. At this point the flavors are starting to open up and separate. Like a kid in a candy store, I am happily introduced to flavors of citrus, honey, and light notes of ginger and cinnamon all dancing gracefully within the woodsy smoke. During the 2nd third of the cigar, a ghost of a cherry essence slowly crept up and revealed itself as the mysterious fruity essence hiding in the folds of the prelight draw. Here the young bull begins to grow his horns. In the final third, the sweetness of the fruit in the smoke has slowly faded into all but a memory. However, it leaves a well beaten path for even more exquisite flavors of rich dark chocolate, roasted espresso beans, more of a leathery tobacco, roasted nuts, oak, salt and a whispered secret of cedar.

Burn/Ash/Draw (4/5): The burn on this delicious stoagie was pretty darn even. There were a few moments when it looked like it wanted to run, but it quickly got a hold of itself and jumped back into formation. The ash was a marbled gray, and it certainly did its job of keeping the smoke cool. The draw was perfecto.

Overall (4/5): I really enjoyed this cigar. Its flaws were minimal at worst. After trying this 2009, I’m now dying to get my hands on both the 03 and the 06. This is a very well constructed, complex and smooth smoke. If you can find one, I’d recommend taking the plunge and getting one or a couple. Can’t wait to have another…Thanks for reading…Peace. ~ The Maduro Kid

themadurokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice
Default Re: First CA Review: Tatuaje Miami FF 2009 (Cojonu 2nd)

Nice review. Sounds like a great smoke.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
Trading: (8)
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the review!

I really loved the 2003 but came away disappointed with the 2006 (it got really mushy on me at the end).

May have to pick up a 2009 when I get a chance...

issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review. Hope to see more in the future.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
Tripp
Pepin Ho of the NorthWest

First Name: Tripp
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Tripp is on a distinguished road

A common misconception, is that(from my understanding), these aren't actually 2nds at all . Simply a batch that used a mold that was a little smaller than Pete intended. Now if only I could get my hands on one. Great Review!
Old 01-29-2010, 11:48 PM   #6
themadurokid
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Kirbee
Trading: (0)
themadurokid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp View Post
A common misconception, is that(from my understanding), these aren't actually 2nds at all . Simply a batch that used a mold that was a little smaller than Pete intended. Now if only I could get my hands on one. Great Review!
I understood that they came from a slightly smaller mold, but I was under the impression that a 2nd was anything that didn't make it past QC. What exactly does the the term factory 2nd mean? Not tryin to be a smart alec. I'd really like to know. Thanks for your insight!
themadurokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:11 AM   #7
Tripp
Pepin Ho of the NorthWest

First Name: Tripp
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Tripp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadurokid View Post
I understood that they came from a slightly smaller mold, but I was under the impression that a 2nd was anything that didn't make it past QC. What exactly does the the term factory 2nd mean? Not tryin to be a smart alec. I'd really like to know. Thanks for your insight!
The way I read the description, it sounded like these were rolled before the 1st's, and just weren't the right size, so by definition, they are 2nds, but... I'm starting to confuse myself now I think what I meant is that they aren't what most people think of when they think of 2nds, meaning sticks that weren't good enough to don the band.

BTW, the main reason I bring this up, is because on another board, there were a lot of BOTL's complaining about paying so much for 2nds.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
yes please

Tats are the way.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #9
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Quote:
The way I read the description, it sounded like these were rolled before the 1st's, and just weren't the right size, so by definition, they are 2nds, but... I'm starting to confuse myself now I think what I meant is that they aren't what most people think of when they think of 2nds, meaning sticks that weren't good enough to don the band.

BTW, the main reason I bring this up, is because on another board, there were a lot of BOTL's complaining about paying so much for 2nds.
$8-9 a stick ain't bad imo

These smokes are very good, and for the price, they are a steal. I thought these smoked like the Cazadores.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:08 AM   #10
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I wish I would have bought a bundle of these... dang it!!!
Old 02-06-2010, 06:01 AM   #11
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
What he said!......Nice review Kirbee, Thanks
Old 02-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #12
colimo
friend of Brother Maynard

First Name: doug
Trading: (41)
PL
colimo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
me three
Old 02-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #13
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Great Review! I Love The Fruit & Citrus Flavor Profile In A Cigar!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #14
Razorhog
Feeling at Home

First Name: Beau
Trading: (4)
Razorhog is on a distinguished road

Great review! Makes me want to try these. I haven't checked the price, but the tats I've seen are too expensive, IMO.
Razorhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #15
okieRob
Still Watching My Back

First Name: I'm not telling
Trading: (6)
okieRob is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review. I've got a couple of these in the humi but I haven't been brave enough to go there yet. They just have an intimidating look

I guess I'm going to have to dig one out and give it a go.
okieRob is offline   Reply With Quote