Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 06-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
Flounder
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Ethan
Trading: (1)
Flounder is on a distinguished road
Default A few questions.

Hey guys, I'm new here. I checked in over at cigarsmokers.com, but it took like 4-5 days to get out of the queue so I could post, and I could see that they treated other new members rather poorly. I have a few questions.

I've been smoking cigars for a bit, mainly Arturos, but today I finally ordered my first humidor, just a little cheap $20 thing.

1- I really like the AF's, but most of their stuff is on the mellow/ light side, any suggestions for something a bit heavier?

2- As far as cigars go, I've seen Monte Cristo's, Churchills, etc, are these company-specific? Or an industry standard as far as the style of the roll? What is the difference with the exception of the shapes? Any?

3- What's the difference in wrappers? I've seen natural, maduro, candela, etc?

4- What are people opinions on putting the cigars in the humidor? With or without the plastic sleeves? Why? etc.

5- Is my humidor going to be a pain in the dick to keep level or what? And it should come with directions on how to maintain it, correct?

I know GTsetGo from my Mustang forum, and I figured I'd check it out over here, test the waters, any and all input is welcome.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
Flounder
Adjusting to the Life

Default Re: A few questions.

Also. I bought a "20 count" humidor, but it's just a short fix until I get my buddy, who is a wood-working major to build me a big one. Other than lining the inside with Spanish cedar, what else should I keep in mind for when I tell him what I want?
Old 06-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Opus X or God of fire, those are medium-full or even full bodied Fuentes.

Difference in wrappers is taste, In my experiences.....
Candela's (green) and taste like IMO green tea
Maduros (Dark) and tend to have darker stronger flavors (coffee, chocolate, heavy leather.....spice)

Cello is merely a preference, it's up to you. It doesn't matter either way.

Size and shapes of cigars are preference. You'll find your own in a few months.

It could possibly be a pain in the dick, post a link to the one you bought. Then look into coolidors, simple, pick your own size and lots of storage.

Look into humidity beads, www.heartfeltindustries.com is who most people use.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Check the sticky on how to properly season a humidor, that should get you started on your way. http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=620

You might also look into the Fuente Anejo's if you're looking for a stronger smoke.

Also head over to the new inmate area and post an intro!
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
Also. I bought a "20 count" humidor, but it's just a short fix until I get my buddy, who is a wood-working major to build me a big one. Other than lining the inside with Spanish cedar, what else should I keep in mind for when I tell him what I want?
Just pick a size, make sure it's spanish cedar and has a good seal. That's really about it, there are difference styles of cedar trays (inserts) that you could choose. Look at waxingmoons work and you probably can get an idea.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36832
Old 06-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
DBall
Cigar Jesus

First Name: Dan
Trading: (46)
RyJ
DBall has disabled reputation

Dude... you're from Rochester... so am I.

I'm gonna shoot you a PM, I'm sure I'll be able to help ya out/answer your questions and we could probably get together for a cigar at some point... there's a pretty big group of us here in the ROC.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
Conch Republican
10-78

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold

You should hang with us tomorrow.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:

1- I really like the AF's, but most of their stuff is on the mellow/ light side, any suggestions for something a bit heavier?

Just about anything made by Pepin or La Flor Dominicana

2- As far as cigars go, I've seen Monte Cristo's, Churchills, etc, are these company-specific? Or an industry standard as far as the style of the roll? What is the difference with the exception of the shapes? Any?

Monte is a brand. Churchill is the size of the cigar and yes most if not all make a churchill usually 7 x 48 or 50. Different shapes can give you slightly different flavors and most have their favorite.

3- What's the difference in wrappers? I've seen natural, maduro, candela, etc?
A wrapper can be one of many strains of baccy. Habano, Connecticut, Criollo, Sumatran, Cameroon, etc. Natural is just that, a leaf that is cured naturally. A maduro is cured longer, allowing the sugars to come out in the leaf and it turns darker. They tend to be a bit sweeter than a natural wrapper. Candela's are cured quickly so they retain the green color. They are usually vegetal and an interesting change of pace. They were the most popular wrappers in the 50's.

4- What are people opinions on putting the cigars in the humidor? With or without the plastic sleeves? Why? etc.

Personal preference. It does not matter. Cello is used on cigars by the manufacturer, primarily, so that the cigars are not damaged in transport.

5- Is my humidor going to be a pain in the dick to keep level or what? And it should come with directions on how to maintain it, correct?

It's not brain surgery and all you need to know is within the walls of the Asylum. Be sure you read all the 'sticky' posts at the top of each forum. They will answer alot of questions plus the search function here can be an invaluable tool.
Answers in red above.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
Flounder
Adjusting to the Life

Thanks for all the input guys. My goal or idea for the homemade humidor (I'm confident is his ability as he does amazing work as far as furniture and such goes), is something that stands like 16" x 20" x 16" (H x W x D) and has 4-5 drawers on the front that pull out. The only thing I tend to worry about would be keeping airtight and getting it lined with the cedar.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Thanks for all the input guys. My goal or idea for the homemade humidor (I'm confident is his ability as he does amazing work as far as furniture and such goes), is something that stands like 16" x 20" x 16" (H x W x D) and has 4-5 drawers on the front that pull out. The only thing I tend to worry about would be keeping airtight and getting it lined with the cedar.
Be sure to use Spanish Cedar. Any other Cedar would not be good.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #11
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Drawers will make it trickier to maintain a good seal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #12
Flounder
Adjusting to the Life

Would you guys recommend something in which I could make it multi-tier without drawers? I dont want just a box piled with cigars, I would like a shelf system of some-sort.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #13
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Quote:
Would you guys recommend something in which I could make it multi-tier without drawers? I dont want just a box piled with cigars, I would like a shelf system of some-sort.
Coolidor, store your cigars in empty cigar boxes. Vinotemp with drawers (but that'll get pricey)
Old 06-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #14
Flounder
Adjusting to the Life

You're killing me, haven't found a cigar I enjoy enough to drop the dough for a whole box yet, so I have no boxes, any idea where I can grab some for cheap or free?
Old 06-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #15
jesseboston81
CC Simple PIF Promoter

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (41)
Bolivar
jesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nice

Your local B+M will have empty boxes for either free or maybe $1-2 each at most. My B+M charges $1 donation each, with the money going towards breast cancer research.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #16
Flounder
Adjusting to the Life

Might be a dumb question, but whats a B + M?
Old 06-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #17
jesseboston81
CC Simple PIF Promoter

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (41)
Bolivar
jesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nice

Brick and mortar, just a physical cigar store (as opposed to an online retailer).
Old 06-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #18
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

brick and mortar, a store
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:52 PM   #19
Sherlockholms

Make sure you check frequently, if its anything like the B&M in my town they go fast. I have had a hard time finding any because they are bought up so quick.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #20
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Take some time reading the stickies and the threads around here to save some time with asking a lot of questions and waiting for responses.