Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 06-25-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
Chinogobraap

Default Suggestions for a cabinet humi

I recently made a move from CA to NY and brought a small humi with me with about 50 cigars. I've fallen into my old habits of hoarding again, its a sickness I know. So while awaiting my shipment of sticks I've been looking into a larger humi. I figure I'd need something with about 2-300 stick capacity and the ability to store 5-10 boxes too. Its just really confusing Ive seen the same humi or style on different sites fluctuate up to $200.

I'd like to ask the members who have cabinet style humis what their suggestions are and where they would reccomend purchasing them. I've been eye ballin cheaphumidors.com and their Geneve;
http://www.cheaphumidors.com/HUM-500G.html

I also like http://shop.cigarwoman.com/ZSKUC90003.asp I don't mind that it has less space for boxes but is there a difference in storing the cigars in the box as opposed to taking them out? My buddy told me to just buy 2-3 150 cap humis because their easier to maintain.

Also any humidification recommendations would be appreciated. I've been looking at the CO XL and XL Plus.

Thanks in advance and any help will be appreciated, my order should be getting in today or tomorrow and I'd like to ship over some of my cigars back in CA that are sitting in my locker ASAP.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Suggestions for a cabinet humi

Here's my suggestion-go bigger.

I bought this in the spring and really like it. http://www.tampahumidor.com/sd4/prod...midor-5707.cfm
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

I think you're going to get alot of suggestions for a vinodor That way maintaining temp and RH. A 28 bottle wine cooler will run you about $200 and you can fit plenty of singles and boxes in there. There is a guy on the forums that builds drawers for them too, ChasDen. His website is http://www.chasidor.com/ and while it might take a couple months to get your drawers, they are absolute works of art.

Just something to consider I've drank the koolaid and my wine cooler is arriving today (on the truck as we speak). Just search the forums for edgestar, vinotemp, and avanti. Plenty of threads will show up talking about them and how to maintain them and what you need.
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
Chinogobraap

thanks will do, just checked with my doorman and my sticks are here. With that said I need to make a decision by this weekend.

I forgot to add in my original post that my budget is about 300-400 max including a humidification device, tuitions due soon and that 16 grand is coming out of my pocket...dammit never tell your parents how much you make hahaha

Thanks again
Old 06-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

I've been in temporary tupperware storage for about a month trying to decide what I wanted to do. Works well and only costs a couple of bucks per container. That'll allow you to make your decision without having to rush into anything
Old 06-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Budget=$300
70qt cooler=$35-WalMart
1lb 65% beads=$31-Heartfelt Industries
Total=$66

Remaining=$234-Lots more cigars
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
TheLostGringo
Wish I had a Dr. Pepper

First Name: Roger
Trading: (16)
HUpmann
TheLostGringo will become famous soon enoughTheLostGringo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post

Budget=$300
70qt cooler=$35-WalMart
Total=$66

I agree, if you have those type of expenses for tuition save your money for cigars. Cooler is the way to go.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

This is about 2.5 hrs from NYC and should take you a while to fill up
http://worcester.craigslist.org/for/1786618030.html

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #9
Brad

I vote cooler and some beads as well. Since you are on a budget, a lot of the less expensive cabinets are kind of a pain, some aren't built very well and maintaining a solid RH can be difficult. Active humidification can be a PITA as well. You can get upper end cabinets with built in temp and RH control, but they are quite expensive, smaller units run $1,500+, with bigger cabinets costing several thousand dollars.

I had a cabinet humidor before, and it wasn't worth the hassle, IMO. Cooler and beads is much easier, and much cheaper. Granted it's not pretty, or something you'd display, but it does the job quite well.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #10
Chinogobraap

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLostGringo View Post
I agree, if you have those type of expenses for tuition save your money for cigars. Cooler is the way to go.
I know...but I've been saving for a decent humi for the past few months and I've handed over my tuition and living expenses money for the next 2 years which can't be touched. Its managed by the scariest gatekeeper to other peoples money that i know...Mom This humi is going under the etc. column in my books.

A chasisdor is really starting to look like a decent alternative. I like the way i can change the config. to suit my needs...however this also means I can keep buying.

This is going to sound stupid but do you keep the fridge plugged in or is it literally just used as a chasis?

I found this on Craigslist I've emailed the person and he doesn't know what the model # is and I've looked on VINO's website and I can't find one with a white interior, any help identifying the unit would be much appreciated.
-

thanks
Old 06-25-2010, 01:56 PM   #11
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Here's my suggestion-go bigger.

I bought this in the spring and really like it. http://www.tampahumidor.com/sd4/prod...midor-5707.cfm

Go at least 3x times bigger of what you are looking at right now. Trust me you won't be sorry this time next year. Good luck!!!

Chris.....
Old 06-25-2010, 01:57 PM   #12
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC

Yeah, I guess it depends if you want to display it or if you just want something that will keep your cigars great. I will agree with everybody that a cooler is the cheapest way and a solid solution to keeping cigars. Small desktop humi's are nice to display, but don't hold much. That big thing on CL would be awesome for the price, but you won't know how it holds RH until you buy it. The vinodor is nice because it's something you can display, but is effective at maintaining your cigars. That would probably be the most expensive and bump right up against your budget though. You can check CL for wine coolers though...I just never saw any in my area and ended up having to buy one.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:57 PM   #13
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post

Budget=$300
70qt cooler=$35-WalMart
Total=$66

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLostGringo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I vote cooler and some beads as well. Since you are on a budget, a lot of the less expensive cabinets are kind of a pain, some aren't built very well and maintaining a solid RH can be difficult. Active humidification can be a PITA as well. You can get upper end cabinets with built in temp and RH control, but they are quite expensive, smaller units run $1,500+, with bigger cabinets costing several thousand dollars.

I had a cabinet humidor before, and it wasn't worth the hassle, IMO. Cooler and beads is much easier, and much cheaper. Granted it's not pretty, or something you'd display, but it does the job quite well.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #14
Chinogobraap

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
This is about 2.5 hrs from NYC and should take you a while to fill up
http://worcester.craigslist.org/for/1786618030.html
My god......i don't think my bank account would survive that. One day and it would be full to the brim, I'd be out of house and home and on the street. However, I'd have a fully stocked humidor hhahaha
Old 06-25-2010, 02:01 PM   #15
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinogobraap View Post
This is going to sound stupid but do you keep the fridge plugged in or is it literally just used as a chasis?

I found this on Craigslist I've emailed the person and he doesn't know what the model # is and I've looked on VINO's website and I can't find one with a white interior, any help identifying the unit would be much appreciated.
- http://longisland.craigslist.org/app/1784947079.html

thanks
You plug it in to maintain the temp. Also, most that keep 28 bottles and less will be thermoelectric, as opposed to compressor cooled, which is less hard on the RH control. Apparently the compressor will suck the humidity out of the air pretty quick.

The unit you linked would work, but most of the Chasidor stuff is built for the 28 bottle units, Edgestar and Vinotemp being the most popular, although he does say he'll do custom work.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #16
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

If this were closer I would be all over it. $150!
Old 06-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #17
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

With a limited budget a good quality cooler is definitely the best bet otherwise I would say go the wine cooler/Chasidor route.

Humidity = Shilala Beads

Don't waste your money on Oasis.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #18
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Point is you HAVE a humidor. Now you need a cooler. STORE in the cooler, SMOKE out of
the humidor. I do not want to come off preachy, but you asked for suggestions
and the majority of people who have been there and done that (and put in their favorite
color and size for the Tshirt) have let you know the wise choice. You can follow their
advice or follow your own. Simple.

PS, I like to think supporting Chas is a good idea, too. In fact, if I had to choose between
support of Coleman or Chasden, I prefer the latter. But the cooler is cheaper.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:50 PM   #19
Chinogobraap

I don't want to come off as if I don't appreciate the advice from everyone...I do. I will agree with everyone that has suggested it that the coolerdor is the most cost effective method of storage, not pretty but does the job very well from what I've been reading.

I know I have a humidor but the thing is I really wanted a bigger one. Seeing the validity in what others are suggesting, also realizing I'm running low on one of favorites from the island(Partagas Series D #4 Short Church). I think I'm going to forgo the Cabinet humi and sell my friend my current 50 stick desktop for a larger desktop humidor in the 150-200 stick range for my favorite singles and set up a coolerdor for the boxes and 75+ singles. I figure I'll spend 1-150 and pick up a decent desktop humi and another 60-70 for the coolerdor.

As suggested by Bobarian, doing this will leave me about 200, which I'll add to my cigar fund to blow when I go to Hong Kong this winter to visit family and stock up.

The wine cooler really was a great option but after doing the numbers it really wouldn't have been that far off from a cabinet humi.

Opinions?

Any suggestions for a cooler or ones to stay away from?
Any difference between shilala beads and the ones from heartfelt industry other than price? any user opinions on that?

Thanks again
Old 07-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #20
bsmokin
Slippin... Fast.

First Name: Bryan
Trading: (15)
RA
bsmokin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2600 View Post
I think you're going to get alot of suggestions for a vinodor That way maintaining temp and RH. A 28 bottle wine cooler will run you about $200 and you can fit plenty of singles and boxes in there. There is a guy on the forums that builds drawers for them too, ChasDen. His website is http://www.chasidor.com/ and while it might take a couple months to get your drawers, they are absolute works of art.

Just something to consider I've drank the koolaid and my wine cooler is arriving today (on the truck as we speak). Just search the forums for edgestar, vinotemp, and avanti. Plenty of threads will show up talking about them and how to maintain them and what you need.
Absolutely true. I've got an Edgestar with Chasden Drawers... about a year ago... couldn't be happier. No humidor can come close to the humidity control / seal of a fridgador!
bsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote