Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #41
CigarGuy88
Good Cigar = Good Day

First Name: Steve
Trading: (38)
LGC
CigarGuy88 will become famous soon enoughCigarGuy88 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
Is that your "early upgrade" date? Usually your contract is 2 years but they let you upgrade early after 18 mos.
Yup
CigarGuy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #42
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Upgrading hardware for performance and being mandated to adopt to new standards are two different things.
It seems that they are changing the dock connector standard in order to further upgrade the hardware.

Standards change, it always sucks at first. VCR to DVD, or DVD to Blu Ray made everyone that wanted to adopt the new technology go purchase new equipment. Apple has used the same standard for 10 years, and will likely make an adaptor so people don't get completely screwed over. Will it be ideal, no, but at least its an option.

Apple can use some tricks to get people to buy new stuff every year by making small incremental changes. This, however, doesn't seem like one of them IMO.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #43
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
It seems that they are changing the dock connector standard in order to further upgrade the hardware.

Standards change, it always sucks at first. VCR to DVD, or DVD to Blu Ray made everyone that wanted to adopt the new technology go purchase new equipment. Apple has used the same standard for 10 years, and will likely make an adaptor so people don't get completely screwed over. Will it be ideal, no, but at least its an option.

Apple can use some tricks to get people to buy new stuff every year by making small incremental changes. This, however, doesn't seem like one of them IMO.
I disagree on this. Just like when Apple went from the mini headphone plug in the first iphone to the regular one after which.

We are not talking about a new format (which is the device itself which uses the same cords as the older technology). What they are doing is making a change to force buyers to get new accessories in addition to the phone. No one was forced to buy a new tv or stereo because the moved from vhs to dvd.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #44
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

Quote:
I disagree on this. Just like when Apple went from the mini headphone plug in the first iphone to the regular one after which.

We are not talking about a new format (which is the device itself which uses the same cords as the older technology). What they are doing is making a change to force buyers to get new accessories in addition to the phone. No one was forced to buy a new tv or stereo because the moved from vhs to dvd.
It was more of an example of changing standards than a direct comparison. You did need to buy a new player to use on a TV, but I only give the example to use as a somewhat comparable illustration of frustration with new standards.

We may have to agree to disagree, but my point is that the standard has been used for 10 years, its not as if they switch connectors every other year. And in this case, they likely need the switch to make room for upgrades within the phone. It sucks that people will have to either use the adaptor or buy new equipment, but the change was needed. Like I said, I do agree that Apple can sometimes use shady tactics with small, incremental upgrades to get people to buy new versions of products.

Also, lets wait and see what changes actually occur and what the adaptor looks like and how it functions (if it even exists) before we really can have a good debate about it lol.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #45
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Quote:
Upgrading hardware for performance and being mandated to adopt to new standards are two different things. I despise Apple, but was one of the first to have an iPhone and still using the 1st gen. phone!

Who am I to knock what they are doing. They are way more successful than I could ever dream of being, but to think of hassle users will go through with the new adapter is sad. Think of car manufacturers that have the current adapter built-in like BMW and Jaguar (I sure there more than that). How is an inline converter going to work even if that's an option?
Having to use an adapter in a car will definitely be a pain since some have them built in. I'm glad that mine just has a USB port (I know that both Ford and Honda do that). In my case, all I'll need is the USB cord that Apple provides. Of course, this means that I'll probably have to buy an extra to leave in the car.

My only concern is whether or not my stereo will need a software upgrade to work with the new iphone. Of course, that really isn't Apple's fault and it's not iPhone specific by any means.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #46
Wanger

Looking forward to getting a 5. I've had my 4 for 2 years now, and I've been happy with it. Didn't want to 4s, since it really didn't seem like much of an ugrade, to me. Will definitely like a better camera in it (not that the one in the 4 was all that horrible), too.

As for the new pin configuration...whatever. It wouldn't be a big deal to me to have to get an adapter. The only place I have a built in dock is my stereo, anwway, and I don't use my phone on that. I use an iPod Classic (more music on it). Anything else would use cords. Won't likely ever get a car that would have a specific dock for a particular piece of equipment already in place. And if I did, I'm sure that the car manufacturer, or someone else would make an adapter that fit within the framework of the dock that was there, allowing it to dock in at least a similar manner.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #47
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Well looks like we shall be going to sprint and ugrading early and getting a pair or 4s's
Old 08-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #48
Montano
Bourbon IS a food group

First Name: Nick
Trading: (33)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
Montano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the rough

I passed on the 4S, since my 4 is working perfectly. All I need is a bigger screen and I'm happy
Old 08-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #49
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

But...but...but what about the iphone 5....S! That should be way mor gooder
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #50
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montano View Post
I passed on the 4S, since my 4 is working perfectly. All I need is a bigger screen and I'm happy
Assuming the rumors are true, I may actually miss the smaller screen. I like being able to comfortably reach the entire screen with just my thumb when using the phone with one hand.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #51
Fia
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jon
Trading: (0)
Fia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
I will definitely be getting a 5. My 4 has served me well... but it is time.
ditto..Ill probably wait a month or so just in case there are any bugs.
Fia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #52
jjmitchem
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jim "Chappy"
Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
jjmitchem will become famous soon enoughjjmitchem will become famous soon enough

I'll let my wife upgrade first so I can see if I want one
Old 08-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #53
Boz
In Vino Veritas

First Name: William
Trading: (18)
HUpmann
Boz has a spectacular aura aboutBoz has a spectacular aura about

Man I hope it's released soon. I'm still rocking the 3gs and it works just fine but it's getting slow and I'm just ready for something new.

Edit: Hey look, 1000th post
Old 08-07-2012, 05:38 AM   #54
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montano View Post
I agree Nick, that and a better camera.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:42 AM   #55
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

From the pictures i've seen the 4s seems to have a pretty darn good camera for a phone.

Also, I believe iOS6 will be out this fall for the 4 and 4s and the 3gs will get some of the goodies from iOS6 as well.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:43 AM   #56
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
From the pictures i've seen the 4s seems to have a pretty darn good camera for a phone
Yah my wife has one, it blows away my 4. I think the 4S is 8mp compared to the 4 that is closer to 5mp.
I still expect the 5 to be better though, theres talk about Apple using Sony lens parts. Not sure if this is good or bad.

Last edited by Blak Smyth; 08-07-2012 at 05:54 AM.
Blak Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:45 AM   #57
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Yes I believe the 4 had a 5mp =/

Hopefully going to own a 4s here in a few hrs
Old 08-07-2012, 05:57 AM   #58
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Yes I believe the 4 had a 5mp =/

Hopefully going to own a 4s here in a few hrs
It takes great pics and has Siri, thats the only advantage I see over the 4, comparing my 4 to my wifes 4S.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #59
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

I now have a white iPhone 4S and the wife has the same in black. We also picked up a pair of lifeproof cases as well
Old 08-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #60
Digs
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dennis
Trading: (17)
Digs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
It takes great pics and has Siri, thats the only advantage I see over the 4, comparing my 4 to my wifes 4S.
My 4 has siri, why dont we just jail break it and you will have it

A gun in your hand is better then a cop on the phone
Digs is offline   Reply With Quote