Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 03-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #21
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Colts to Release Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
The Colts had 28 million reasons to let him go. I truly believe this was ALL about the all mighty dollar.
Dollars had a lot to do with it, Mac. The Colts absolutely suck. They need the money to rebuild.
They have to weigh the opportunity to build with Luck and put a team around him against a few years with Peyton and no team around him. The latter has worked for a lot of years, but Peyton was in good shape. Now he's a big gamble at best.
I think we'll find that Peyton doesn't have a problem with this move. He's done anything he can to protect that organization from his failing health, up to and including rewriting his contract so that the Colts didn't have to pay him the last 8 million they paid him while he was broke down.
I truly believe Peyton and Jim Irsay made this decision together,m and that Peyton will be a part of the Colts organization for a long, long time once he's done with this "play for another team" thing. I don't think it's going to go well, either. Peyton is way too screwed up.
Ultimately he's going to be a lot more valuable for his head than he is for his body if he can avoid ending up in a wheelchair.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:01 AM   #22
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

I don't think Peyton will play for a cold weather team.
Being a dome QB for his career and with his neck injury, it just makes sense.
If he does play for a cold weather team, it will be for the Skins. Why?
For the $, of course.
And who is foolish enough to overpay for a 36yr old, injured QB?
Dan Snyder!
I'm willing to bet he's had an erection since he found out Peyton was being released!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #23
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty81 View Post
Oh I'm sure it was. Too bad they couldn't have signed him back for at least a year or two year to play/coach luck. I don't see payton taking the backseat to anyone though no matter how bad he plays.
He was under contract. The problem was that he was due a $28 million roster bonus (tomorrow I think). He had already said that he was not renegotiating his contract.
Quote:
I truley think if he dosn't start some where, He will just retire. He will make a damn fine QB coach for someone though.
If (and that's still a big if) he can pass a physical and show that he can competently throw the football, he won't have any trouble finding a starting gig.

Last edited by Stephen; 03-07-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #24
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
I don't think Peyton will play for a cold weather team.
Being a dome QB for his career and with his neck injury, it just makes sense.
If he does play for a cold weather team, it will be for the Skins. Why?
For the $, of course.
And who is foolish enough to overpay for a 36yr old, injured QB?
Dan Snyder!
I'm willing to bet he's had an erection since he found out Peyton was being released!
I see the Redskins making a move for RGIII.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #25
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I'm with Stephen on all points. The writing was on the wall for this one. I think the Colts have a long struggle ahead without Peyton in the organization, but that's another thread.
I understand Miami is in the mix according to the Miami Herald and the billboards they've posted around town. There's two websites devoted to trying to bring Peyton to Miami.
I just do not see him there, regardless of the fit. Flynn makes a lot more sense for a lot less money.
I think Arizona makes the most sense, and if I was betting, that's where my money would be. It gets Peyton out of the cold and into a place that's done this sort of thing before with Kurt Warner. They know how to make it all work.
I have no idea where any of these teams are financially, or if any of them can come at Peyton with anywhere near 28 million, but we'll see. I'd like to take a look at the cap room for each team and see what other constructive ways they can defer money to make the best possible guess, but from a guy who's got a backful of metal, I can positively say that that high pressure desert is gonna feel good on Peyton's multiple surgeries. That environment is going to be a huge sell for an old, cobbed up man.
The thing is though, He is a risk and he knows it. I think he will take a lot less to play than what the Colts were paying him healthy. I think he will take the money because he wants to play and he knows that no one is going to fork out that kind of cash on a QB that just went through what he did. Hell, no one has seen him actually even play yet.
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #26
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Oh I'm sure it was. Too bad they couldn't have signed him back for at least a year or two year to play/coach luck. I don't see payton taking the backseat to anyone though no matter how bad he plays.

I truley think if he dosn't start some where, He will just retire. He will make a damn fine QB coach for someone though.
What makes you think Peyton Manning can coach so well for?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #27
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
What makes you think Peyton Manning can coach so well for?
Anyone that has been around that long, knows the game and his position that well should be able to teach a few things to the new guys.

I know that not everyone can coach just because they can play well but I truely believe that he would be a great QB coach.

He has such a great understanding of the game and such.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #28
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
Anyone that has been around that long, knows the game and his position that well should be able to teach a few things to the new guys.

I know that not everyone can coach just because they can play well but I truely believe that he would be a great coach.

Actually, rare is the superstar player that makes a good coach in ANY sport.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #29
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Actually, rare is the superstar player that makes a good coach in ANY sport.
Peyton's understanding of defenses and offense, and his ability to see things and call the perfect play time and again does give him an edge. The way he leads his team, another edge.
His personality, another edge.
I agree with you, but I've long thought that if a guy can make the transition, he's one that can. I think he'd make a better fit as a head coach than an offensive or quarterback coach. Quarterback coach being the least likely.
He's got enough experience in running a good part of that club, and his close ties with ownership and upper management really give him a leg up if anyone has one.
I have no idea if it's something he even wants to do, it's just a sneaking suspicion. I can see him in that role, I guess. I'd far rather see him in the booth. This season. But that's just cause I'm selfish.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #30
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Peyton's understanding of defenses and offense, and his ability to see things and call the perfect play time and again does give him an edge. The way he leads his team, another edge.
His personality, another edge.
I agree with you, but I've long thought that if a guy can make the transition, he's one that can. I think he'd make a better fit as a head coach than an offensive or quarterback coach. Quarterback coach being the least likely.
He's got enough experience in running a good part of that club, and his close ties with ownership and upper management really give him a leg up if anyone has one.
I have no idea if it's something he even wants to do, it's just a sneaking suspicion. I can see him in that role, I guess. I'd far rather see him in the booth. This season. But that's just cause I'm selfish.
Samurai Mike says hi. Also, I think it'd get incredibly old incredibly fast of him blaming everyone else for when things go wrong (although admittedly he'd gotten better at this the past couple of seasons).
Old 03-07-2012, 08:49 AM   #31
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:

I know that not everyone can coach just because they can play well but I truely believe that he would be a great QB coach.

In my opinion, Peyton just comes off with a large ego. Hard to blame him with his talents. But I don't see him being a good coach. He just doesn't seem humble enough or down to earth.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #32
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Quote:
In my opinion, Peyton just comes off with a large ego. Hard to blame him with his talents. But I don't see him being a good coach. He just doesn't seem humble enough or down to earth.
What does that matter as long as you know your crap and can teach it.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #33
goomer

Quote:
Part of teaching it is having people listen. I've seen very knowledgable people make horrible teachers because no one will listen to them due to personality issues.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #34
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
You don't think that kind of stuff matters in coaching? Being a humble person and not letting your damn ego get in the way plays a big role in coaching. Understanding your players and relating to them on their level is important in coaching, no?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #35
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Quote:
You don't think that kind of stuff matters in coaching? Being a humble person and not letting your damn ego get in the way plays a big role in coaching. Understanding your players and relating to them on their level is important in coaching, no?
yes, it is a part of coaching.

There is a handful of GREAT coaches that also have a high ego and are hard to play for..........seems they are doing great.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #36
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
So it does matter then

Quote:
yes, it is a part of coaching.

There is a handful of GREAT coaches that also have a high ego and are hard to play for..........seems they are doing great.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #37
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Most great coaches weren't good players, and even more of them never played at the highest level. I don't forsee Peyton with a headset on, he is more likely to end up in a front office than on the sideline.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #38
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

He should go where ever Randy Moss lands.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #39
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
I'm pretty interested to see if he can go to Minny or Miami and make some noise...

Really wish Denver could make something work to bring him in....
MIAMI!!!

Fingers-crossed...
Old 03-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #40
IndyRob
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (4)
IndyRob is on a distinguished road

It will be a different town without him, that is for sure. We're going to miss Peyton Manning on and off the field. He did a lot for Indianapolis, but at the end of the day... We have to think about our team's future, and freeing up that amount of money can really bring in some fresh new talent.
IndyRob is offline   Reply With Quote