Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 06-25-2010, 11:50 AM   #801
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Aw TG, I never took your comment poorly. I thought it was funny as hell.
I went 46 years without ever taking a single food picture. Seems like an
odd thing to do. But then I started posting in this thread, and you can't
really hang here without the camera.
It's my MEMORY that's cooked!
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:05 PM   #802
TheLostGringo
Wish I had a Dr. Pepper

First Name: Roger
Trading: (16)
HUpmann
TheLostGringo will become famous soon enoughTheLostGringo will become famous soon enough

A lot of great info here, much to think about. This thread needs an acronym dictionary, I get confused! (WSM, ECE, BGS, UDS, etc...)
Old 06-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #803
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLostGringo View Post
A lot of great info here, much to think about. This thread needs an acronym dictionary, I get confused! (WSM, ECE, BGS, UDS, etc...)
UDS = Ugly Drum Smoker
WSM = Weber Smokey Mountain
BGS?
ECE?

There is also BGE = Big Green Egg

I love my offset, don't get me wrong. I have a BSnP (Brinkmann smoke n pit), the older more heavy duty one. It turns out Q like no other. But I have done a variety of mods on it, and it still needs to be tended like a child. I don't know of any offset that you could leave for more than say 1-2 hours, except those 5 figure insulated Jamie Geer (Jambo Pits) smokers. That might be your idea of getting out of the house, but for me I prefer the 'set and kinda forget' of the UDS and WSM.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #804
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Has anyone evr used peach wood to smoke? I would think it would go best with pork or chicken but I have no cluse as to how it would turn out. I have some from a large tree branch I just trimmed and want to know if it's worth keeping the wood.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #805
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

It is true, I used to get a lot more time out of my old beater. Now with my new CG, I get 3 hours
tops and THAT time is on a downward slope of temp. I like the unit but it must be tended.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:38 PM   #806
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen View Post
Has anyone evr used peach wood to smoke? I would think it would go best with pork or chicken but I have no cluse as to how it would turn out. I have some from a large tree branch I just trimmed and want to know if it's worth keeping the wood.
It's worth keeping for sure. Never used it, but would like to.
If you want to sell some, I would be interested.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #807
leasingthisspace

I am thinking of going to an apple farm to ask about some apple wood. Is it worth the time? I have one about 25 mins away. I have never used apple.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2010, 06:20 PM   #808
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasingthisspace View Post
I am thinking of going to an apple farm to ask about some apple wood. Is it worth the time? I have one about 25 mins away. I have never used apple.
I use pre-bagged applewood chips with my propane grill and I like the flavor it imparts.

Call the orchard before you spend the time to drive over there. They might already sell the wood, or they may offer you the opportunity to cut down an old tree to save them some time. You never know, but calling first could save you some time
Old 06-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #809
leasingthisspace

Thanks Adam. I am going to give them a call tomorrow.
I am going to give this a shot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2010, 06:35 PM   #810
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Thanks Adam. I am going to give them a call tomorrow.
I am going to give this a shot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Your welcome Tabb. I hope it works out for you. I know some of the orchards in Michigan (where I used to live) sold bundles of wood from old trees. Some may even have parts of their land that have old trees that they no longer farm that might just give you free reign.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:17 PM   #811
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Hit the Bi-Lo this evening and picked up everything to give these ribs a whirl tomorrow. I also picked up some pre-made cherry bomb peppers that were stuffed with a small chunk of aged provolone and prosciutto. I normally stuff them myself with cream cheese and wrap them with bacon but I figured I would give these a try. I will report back tomorrow after it's all said and done.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:56 PM   #812
kugie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Joe
Trading: (3)
kugie will become famous soon enough

I had to sand mine down and repaint it. But i am hoping to get some pork loin on it real soon.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #813
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Typically with pork and chicken I will use a Hickory/Apple mixture about 2/3 Hickory 1/3 apple and IMO it imparts a good flavor.

I have always just used the prebagged chips and they seem to do fine to me.

Have fun at the orchard though if you do go!
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #814
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Oh yeah and I have a butt, a brisket and a turkey crammed into the smoker this evening for an overnight cook. Sad thing is I realized I will probably have to pull the Turkey off in the middle of the night/early morning right after I started it up. Guess I will learn my lesson.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:03 AM   #815
GodOfFire
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jackie
Trading: (10)
GodOfFire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jledou View Post
Oh yeah and I have a butt, a brisket and a turkey crammed into the smoker this evening for an overnight cook. Sad thing is I realized I will probably have to pull the Turkey off in the middle of the night/early morning right after I started it up. Guess I will learn my lesson.
how many people eating on that... ?
GodOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:41 AM   #816
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device

Apple is my favorite all around cooking wood. It can cook all types of meat and isn't over-powering.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:45 AM   #817
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jledou View Post
Which platoon is coming over to eat?

Normally, I would take the turkey off early and finish in the oven so the skin gets to cook at a higher temperature and avoid to much smoked flavor. If I'm doing just a yardbird in the smoker, I will cook it much hotter than regular BBQ temperture range.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:23 AM   #818
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I usually use apple with chicken. I really like it. Sometimes I use pecan with chicken but it gives a much darker skin and some people don't like the looks of it.

I have used peach a few times and like it a lot. I just can't get it like I can cherry, pecan, oak, hickory and apple. Four time Memphis in May whole hog champion Myron Mixon only uses peach wood so it must be decent!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 06:49 AM   #819
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
I usually use apple with chicken. I really like it. Sometimes I use pecan with chicken but it gives a much darker skin and some people don't like the looks of it.

I have used peach a few times and like it a lot. I just can't get it like I can cherry, pecan, oak, hickory and apple. Four time Memphis in May whole hog champion Myron Mixon only uses peach wood so it must be decent!!!
Well allright allright looks like I'll be seasoning that wood this summer, thanks guys
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #820
OLS
Suck It

OK, the results are in and it was a goodie. Cooked off the Flamin'Burgers first on the hot coals, might have let em
get a bit done for fridge burgers. you should leave some good pink in there for when you nuke em later in the week.
Then I threw on a small chuck roast that had been coated in rub the night before. Seared it on two sides and left
it to smoke for three hours. Sliced it with the grain cause it was so small. The slices chew extremely well regardless.
I tasted everything, the burgers were crispy on the outside, crumbly on the inside. A sure sign of being worked JUST
enough to mix in the spice and binder. The chuck was pure heaven, a nice spicy bark and a pure sweet beef flavor inside.
Outstanding flavor all around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flamenburger.jpg (48.8 KB, 388 views)
File Type: jpg burgerbite.jpg (39.3 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg Chuckie cuttie.jpg (35.9 KB, 409 views)
File Type: jpg Chuckie 1.jpg (38.5 KB, 395 views)