Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-29-2009, 07:21 AM   #101
SpoonOfThunder

Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

I used to smoke a cigar once a week with my buddies. But then I took a trip to Tampa for school and for three days in a row I smoked way beyond my normal, 6-7 a day. Since then I have been unable to enjoy cigars, and get a little nausea. With summer coming, my friends are all itching to try the cigars I brought back from the Caribbean, and I was wondering if there was anything you could reccomend to get back into cigars.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:47 AM   #102
N2Advnture
www.Cigarmony.com

Trading: (43)
Partagas
N2Advnture has a spectacular aura aboutN2Advnture has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonOfThunder View Post
I used to smoke a cigar once a week with my buddies. But then I took a trip to Tampa for school and for three days in a row I smoked way beyond my normal, 6-7 a day. Since then I have been unable to enjoy cigars, and get a little nausea. With summer coming, my friends are all itching to try the cigars I brought back from the Caribbean, and I was wondering if there was anything you could reccomend to get back into cigars.
Seriously, nicotine over dose isn't fun and while I haven't seen any medical reports, I'm sure it's not good for you.

Take a few weeks off and limit your smoking to 3 cigars a day (figure a cigar lasts about 1 hour - 1 1/2 hours, so that's 3 to 4 1/2 hours of cigar smoking a day which should be plenty).

Drink lots of water and if the nausea starts, consume something with a lot of sugar (even pour sugar under your tongue), eat some ice cream...it's helps combat the nicotine.

Just my opinion though.

I hope this helps

~Mark
N2Advnture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:36 AM   #103
Scottastic
ROFLCOPTER

First Name: Scott
Trading: (8)
Partagas
Scottastic will become famous soon enough

At what point do cigars become un-salvageable? I know that all of mine are fine, but I got to thinking when I noticed my humidor had gotten a little dry: is there an obvious point when the cigars can't be saved?
Scottastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:49 AM   #104
looking for know
Dr. Mike

First Name: Mike
Trading: (10)
Army (Served With Honor)
looking for know is on a distinguished road

Sometimes toward the last third of a smoke I start tasting what I can only describe as a "burning plastic" or "acrid" taste. Is this the "ammonia" I see talked about? Does it mean I'm smoking too fast? Anyone else have this happen?

Last night it happened with an 07' A.F. Brevas, from a box I keep in a coolidor. These are usually smooth and mild, but that acrid taste....not so good.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #105
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking for know View Post
Sometimes toward the last third of a smoke I start tasting what I can only describe as a "burning plastic" or "acrid" taste. Is this the "ammonia" I see talked about? Does it mean I'm smoking too fast? Anyone else have this happen?

Last night it happened with an 07' A.F. Brevas, from a box I keep in a coolidor. These are usually smooth and mild, but that acrid taste....not so good.
I would try purging it a few times during the smoke. Also I find that if you give it more time between puffs towards the end, the flavors are nicer.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #106
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottastic View Post
At what point do cigars become un-salvageable? I know that all of mine are fine, but I got to thinking when I noticed my humidor had gotten a little dry: is there an obvious point when the cigars can't be saved?
Technically there would be no cigar that has gotten too dry recover and to smoke. Are they still going to taste/smoke the same as they did before they got dried out? Likely not, but they will still be smokeable. The flavors are likely going to change and will probably be muted and dull compared to the original cigar. The longer they have been dry, the longer it will take to rehumidify them and the key is going to be taking your time to rehumidify them. Hope that helps
Old 07-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #107
Chris.
PSHC!

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Chris. will become famous soon enoughChris. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I think I know the answer to this but wanted to ask. I noticed that some of my cigars have a "sparkle" to them when lit. What causes this sparkle?
I want to expand on this...

When a cigar has crystal looking flakes in the wrapper and/or ash. What is that and what effect does it have on anything? A prime example would be the Oliva G Maduro.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:17 PM   #108
Savoy
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Savoy is on a distinguished road
Default Which part is hottest, top or bottom?

Which part of the cigar is the hotter, top or bottom?
We're told to rotate periodically, but whats the science behind
it?

Thanks for the knowledge!

Greg
Savoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:28 PM   #109
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
I want to expand on this...

When a cigar has crystal looking flakes in the wrapper and/or ash. What is that and what effect does it have on anything? A prime example would be the Oliva G Maduro.
Sparkly cigars=Good=Plume. Not noticed it on the ash before. But plume manifests itself as crystals, these are the oils which have matured and turned crystalline. Nothing prettier than a sparkly cigar in the sunlight!
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:25 AM   #110
N2Advnture
www.Cigarmony.com

Partagas
Default Re: Which part is hottest, top or bottom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoy View Post
Which part of the cigar is the hotter, top or bottom?
We're told to rotate periodically, but whats the science behind
it?
Thanks for the knowledge!
Greg
Hi Greg,

The only reason I know of to rotate occasionally is to help keep an even burn. Honestly, I never pay attention to it. If you store you cigars properly and light it properly (ie evenly) then you shouldn't run into a ton of burn or draw issues.

If you have a burn problem, it's just easier to touch it up with a lighter than it is to worry about rotating

I hope this helps bro

~Mark
Old 07-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #111
Savoy
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Savoy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Which part is hottest, top or bottom?

Hi Mark,

Yes, it certainly does help! Thanks!

The purpose of the question did have only to do with an even
burn.
Well, that and curiousity I suppose...
(Always interested in learning more about "cigar-science".)

While I'll readily admit that I'm only just getting it together
with proper storage/lighting, I'll also admit that I've felt like
a dunce when having to touch it up with the lighter.
I've figured there must be a better way.... or rather, that
I must be doing something wrong.
You've clarified what that is.

Combine that with the fact that just about every "cigar-tips"
FAQ type thing recommend rotation, I felt it must be all about
that.

So much for conventional wisdom, I guess.

Thanks again!!
Greg
Savoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:38 PM   #112
kzm007

I'm not a big cigar smoker, but I'd like to enjoy them more, as Ih ave been gifted a handful by various BsOTL on the forum.

I've been keeping them in their vacuum packs for a month or two in a filing cabinet, and plan to smoke a few at my brother's pig roast in a few days.

The packs have been opened a few times, but not a lot. Do you think the smokes will be too dry to smoke or no?

It's probably all based on personal taste and whatnot, I'm sure. But being a usual pipe smoker, I don't have a humi of any kind. I would think that the tobacco is probably hardy and fairly resilient to drastic change, right?

Thanks - Kegan
Old 07-16-2009, 07:33 PM   #113
Chris.
PSHC!

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Chris. will become famous soon enoughChris. will become famous soon enough

as long as you keep the zippers closed tightly, they shouldnt loose much if any humidity if you only open it to remove one and close it right up.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:28 AM   #114
N2Advnture
www.Cigarmony.com

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzm007 View Post
I'm not a big cigar smoker, but I'd like to enjoy them more, as Ih ave been gifted a handful by various BsOTL on the forum.

I've been keeping them in their vacuum packs for a month or two in a filing cabinet, and plan to smoke a few at my brother's pig roast in a few days.

The packs have been opened a few times, but not a lot. Do you think the smokes will be too dry to smoke or no?

It's probably all based on personal taste and whatnot, I'm sure. But being a usual pipe smoker, I don't have a humi of any kind. I would think that the tobacco is probably hardy and fairly resilient to drastic change, right?

Thanks - Kegan
Hi Kegan,

You should consider putting them into a humidified environment now though. I have done some experimenting with vacuum sealing over the years and the 1-2 month is about the longest I have had cigars retain the same humidity that they were put in with. (I've seal hygrometers with the cigars)

This is because most plastic used for bags is still porous.

I hope this helps

~Mark
Old 07-17-2009, 06:29 AM   #115
CubbiesFan4Life

I recently had some cigars shipped to me overseas, they have not arrived yet but I expect them after about 2 weeks travel time. The outside temp over here is around 130 degrees. With the temperature fluctuations, and extensive travel time what kind of problems could I expect when I get them in? And how much time should they settle for?
Old 07-17-2009, 06:34 AM   #116
N2Advnture
www.Cigarmony.com

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubbiesFan4Life View Post
I recently had some cigars shipped to me overseas, they have not arrived yet but I expect them after about 2 weeks travel time. The outside temp over here is around 130 degrees. With the temperature fluctuations, and extensive travel time what kind of problems could I expect when I get them in? And how much time should they settle for?
130 degrees? I'd be concerned about beetles

Keep them isolated from your other smokes (ie: in a separate humidor) and let them acclimate for at least 4 weeks.

I hope this helps
Old 07-27-2009, 06:45 AM   #117
cady97dev

Storing sticks in my Vino....Should I leave my sticks in plastics bags while in vino or remove them from bags. You can see what I mean in the "Lets see pics of you Humidor" section. I have some sticks loose and some in plastic zip lock bags.. PLease advise....

Thanks George
Old 07-27-2009, 07:45 AM   #118
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cady97dev View Post
Storing sticks in my Vino....Should I leave my sticks in plastics bags while in vino or remove them from bags. You can see what I mean in the "Lets see pics of you Humidor" section. I have some sticks loose and some in plastic zip lock bags.. PLease advise....

Thanks George
George, you might wanna get yourself an empty cigar cab, or box from your local B&M. This way you can keep the sticks in there. Churchill size cigar box should fit most of them.

Ive seen people store their cigars in bags long term, but I personally dont.

If you do keep the cigars in their bags, you might wanna open them to get a little airflow.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:10 AM   #119
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
George, you might wanna get yourself an empty cigar cab, or box from your local B&M. This way you can keep the sticks in there. Churchill size cigar box should fit most of them.

Ive seen people store their cigars in bags long term, but I personally dont.

If you do keep the cigars in their bags, you might wanna open them to get a little airflow.
Definitely get a empty cab or box. I started to store them in the bags they came in and opened them up. Then I realized how much space the bags alone take up and pulled the cigars out and into boxes and/or drawers. I had more room for more stogies
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:06 PM   #120
cady97dev

Thanks guys...I have them open a bit...I am actually waiting for Chasden to make me some trays....