Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 03-22-2012, 07:25 AM   #101
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Saints accused of "Bounty Program". Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post

I heard them talking on Mike and Mike that the NFL didn't fine a single player and reviewing the game once again in light of said information, didn't really provide any more insight that the Saints were really playing dirty. Perhaps they were playing more within the full rules, but too many hits or hitting too hard? This isn't pee wee football we're talking about here.
Not true actually.
Article from the Star Tribune (1/29/10)

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi.../83074192.html
Three New Orleans Saints players were fined a total of $30,000 for four different hits in Sunday's NFC Championship game. Three of those hits were delivered to Brett Favre.

As we mentioned earlier Bobby McCray was fined $20,000 for two hits on Favre. The first came after Favre handed off to Percy Harvin in the first quarter. McCray then hit Favre in the knees on his interception in the third quarter, causing Favre to suffer a left ankle injury.

Defensive tackle Anthony Hargrove was fined $5,000 for unnecessary roughness when he lifted Favre up and slammed him to the turf in the third quarter.
Finally, Jonathan Casillas was fined $5,000 for unnecessary roughness when he hit punt returner Darius Reynaud after he had downed the ball.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #102
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gophernut View Post
Not true actually.
Article from the Star Tribune (1/29/10)

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi.../83074192.html
Three New Orleans Saints players were fined a total of $30,000 for four different hits in Sunday's NFC Championship game. Three of those hits were delivered to Brett Favre.

As we mentioned earlier Bobby McCray was fined $20,000 for two hits on Favre. The first came after Favre handed off to Percy Harvin in the first quarter. McCray then hit Favre in the knees on his interception in the third quarter, causing Favre to suffer a left ankle injury.

Defensive tackle Anthony Hargrove was fined $5,000 for unnecessary roughness when he lifted Favre up and slammed him to the turf in the third quarter.
Finally, Jonathan Casillas was fined $5,000 for unnecessary roughness when he hit punt returner Darius Reynaud after he had downed the ball.
Steve, don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:49 AM   #103
yourchoice
Down the stretch

Cohiba

The more you hear, the worse the Saints and their staff seem. Lying to the Commissioner's office, and "getting their stories straight". What a mess. It's no wonder Goodell came down so hard.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:27 AM   #104
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
Steve, don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
The more you hear, the worse the Saints and their staff seem. Lying to the Commissioner's office, and "getting their stories straight". What a mess. It's no wonder Goodell came down so hard.
That's what my thoughts boil down to as well. If they hadn't tried the cover up, there is no way the suspensions are anywhere near as harsh as they are. The fact that they were warned and decided to keep the program in place, and try to keep it in-house was pretty reckless in my opinion. As it takes is one free agent who didn't get re-signed and wants to run his mouth about something and here we are. I know people are saying it's Shockey who blew the whistle, but that was 3 years ago. If they had stopped the program right then and there, I don't think anything happens to them.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #105
Mikey202
Tight Lines !!!!

First Name: Mike
Trading: (6)
SLR Army (Served With Honor)
Mikey202 will become famous soon enoughMikey202 will become famous soon enough

What? I thought my Steelers were the dirties , non- ethical, low down dirtiest, players in NFL history?
Old 03-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #106
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey202 View Post
What? I thought my Steelers were the dirties , non- ethical, low down dirtiest, players in NFL history?
And here I thought it was the Raiders.
The Raiders Vs. Broncos game last year did set the record for the most penalties in one game after all.

smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #107
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty81 View Post
The Raiders Vs. Broncos game last year did set the record for the most penalties in one game after all.

If I recall correctly, The Raiders v. Broncos game was mostly false starts and holding with 2 or 3 personal fouls mixed in.

Why is there a picture of Brian Cushing from the Texans?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #108
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
If I recall correctly, The Raiders v. Broncos game was mostly false starts and holding with 2 or 3 personal fouls mixed in.
4 unnecessary roughness
1 roughing the passer
1 unsportsman like conduct

and I think there was a fight or two they broke up in those penalties.

I see now that I picked the wrong picture..............

Sorry for getting off topic.

Last edited by smitty81; 03-22-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #109
yourchoice
Down the stretch

Cohiba

Quote:
At least you're not talking about MMA anymore.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #110
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Hey! dem dare Raiders are some class acts
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #111
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
4 unnecessary roughness
1 roughing the passer
1 unsportsman like conduct

and I think there was a fight or two they broke up in those penalties.

I see now that I picked the wrong picture..............

Six 15 yard penalties is a lot, but the bulk of the penalties were other stuff. The Raiders averaged something like 10 penalties a game and set a record for most penalties in a quarter or half or something like that last season.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #112
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I guess I was a little pre-mature in trying to stick up for the Saints as being just like every other team.
I still believe that to be the case, but I heard some more sound bites from Roger Goodhead, er Goodell where
he claims there was a letter and a poster sent to post in the locker room that specifically used the word bounty
and prohibited any behavior of that kind. I guess this could actually be true. Kind of like you being the company
poarno downloader and a memo comes out that seems to be for everybody, but it really to cover the companies a55
when they come after YOU. If it is true, then the Saints are getting what is coming to them. If there was a coverup
attempt, that to is unjustifiable. On to the Warren Sapp accusations, I like Warren much more as a commentator that
I ever did as a player, I think he is a little bi+(h, or a big one rather. But do I believe that the rat could be Jeremy
Shockey, you bet I do. Sounds exactly like him. Does it matter??? Hardly. But snitch is a word I associate with
drug dealers and community thugs, so I will use rat, lol. And as for the NFL, I think I will join Shaun Payton and take a
year off. Until they agree to pay for all the brain damage they caused, and do something about these GIANT men they
help create that die early due to diabetes complications, I think I will spend Sunday doing yard work.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #113
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

And the Saints go marching on............. http://espn.go.com/new-york/story/_/...hes-home-games

Quote:
NEW ORLEANS -- The U.S. Attorney's Office in the Eastern District of Louisiana was told Friday that New Orleans Saints general manager Mickey Loomis had an electronic device in his Superdome suite that had been secretly re-wired to enable him to eavesdrop on visiting coaching staffs for nearly three NFL seasons, "Outside the Lines" has learned.

Mickey Loomis has been the Saints' general manager since 2002.
Sources familiar with Saints game-day operations told "Outside the Lines" that Loomis, who faces an eight-game suspension from the NFL for his role in the recent bounty scandal, had the ability to secretly listen for most of the 2002 season, his first as general manager of the Saints, and all of the 2003 and 2004 seasons. The sources spoke with "Outside the Lines" under the condition of anonymity because of fear of reprisals from members of the Saints organization..................
Gotta love federal crime level wiretapping.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #114
yourchoice
Down the stretch

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
And the Saints go marching on............. http://espn.go.com/new-york/story/_/...hes-home-games

Gotta love federal crime level wiretapping.
Crazy!
Old 04-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #115
smitty81
Have My Own Room

If I was Drew Brees, I would get while the gettins good.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #116
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If I was Drew Brees, I would get while the gettins good.
He can't make a move, Josh. Until the fines and suspensions are handed down, he doesn't know what his team will look like.
He cannot play for any other team this year, he was Franchised. All he can do is sit the year out with Brad and Sean Payton.
He's already said he will NOT play without a long term contract in place. The last time he did that in good faith, he blew up his shoulder.
He's in a good position right now. If his team is going to suck, he should sit out the year and take his talent elsewhere.
Mind ya, they're within a couple million of being a done deal. He'll be the highest paid player in football. They're somewhere around 19.5 to 21.5 million a year right now. He's easily worth twice that salary just based on the merchandising he brings, but they need to work within the cap.
So he can't git, and the gittin ain't good.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #117
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
He can't make a move, Josh. Until the fines and suspensions are handed down, he doesn't know what his team will look like.
He cannot play for any other team this year, he was Franchised. All he can do is sit the year out with Brad and Sean Payton.
He's already said he will NOT play without a long term contract in place. The last time he did that in good faith, he blew up his shoulder.
He's in a good position right now. If his team is going to suck, he should sit out the year and take his talent elsewhere.
Mind ya, they're within a couple million of being a done deal. He'll be the highest paid player in football. They're somewhere around 19.5 to 21.5 million a year right now. He's easily worth twice that salary just based on the merchandising he brings, but they need to work within the cap.
So he can't git, and the gittin ain't good.
I don't know why a QB of his caliber would even consider signing a long term contract with the Saints right now. The Saints are going to be feeling the repercussions of this for quite a while. Brees is getting old enough that he's going to need a decent team in the next few years if he's looking to go back to the Super Bowl. I just don't see the Saints in that race for a while now.

I would sit out the year and go elsewhere.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #118
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't know why a QB of his caliber would even consider signing a long term contract with the Saints right now. The Saints are going to be feeling the repercussions of this for quite a while. Brees is getting old enough that he's going to need a decent team in the next few years if he's looking to go back to the Super Bowl. I just don't see the Saints in that race for a while now.

I would sit out the year and go elsewhere.
He doesn't need any more accolades. He loves his city and his city loves him. He's achieved all a quarterback could hope to achieve. He's looking for a lifetime deal where he moves from player to operations, "elsewhere" isn't in his vocabulary. The only way it'll get there is if the Saints ownership/management forces him out.
This is his club, and as such, he'd love nothing more to stick it out and lead his team out of these difficulties. It would just make the Brees Legend that much larger. I guess you have to understand how much he's loved in that part of the world to understand his mindset. Suffice to say that God is first and Drew Brees is a close second.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #119
yourchoice
Down the stretch

Cohiba

Player suspensions...

Jonathan Vilma - entire 2012 season.
Anthony Hargrove (now with Green Bay) - 8 games
Will Smith - 4 games
Scott Fujita (now with Cleveland) -3 games.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #120
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Man! I go away for a couple of months and all this crap breaks out. As a Saint's fan, I am disgusted with the whole thing. Plain and simple, they Saints got caught doing what a lot of other teams do. Then they lied and tried to cover it up. On top of that the NFL is being sued for not protecting the players more. So to me, the way the level of repercussions is understandable. I also believe that if the Saints would have stopped the program when it started and had not lied to the commissioner, then the penalties would not have been so severe. That being said, the Saints will survive. Payton's game plans will be followed. The defense may be without Vilma for a year but I believe that's actually an upgrade. Will Smith won't be missed as much either.

As for the "allegation" of Loomis eavesdropping on other coaches - that whole thing seems to have dropped fairly quickly when the sources were revealed to be people fired from the Saints for just cause.