Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about
Default Coronado by La Flor corona especial

The cigar: Coronado by La Flor corona especial

Nutritional information
Vitola: 5 7/8 x 47
Origin: Dominican
Wrapper: Nicaraguan sungrown
Filler: Dominican Sumatra seed
Binder: Dominican corojo
Vitamin N: 200% US RDA

The marketing
Famous: Coronado by La Flor cigars boast a spectacular Nicaraguan Sun-Grown Habano wrapper with a rich buttery patina. At the core are Dominican Sumatra and Piloto Cubano longfillers bound in a savory Dominican Corojo leaf. Thick, creamy smoke oozes effortlessly over the palate revealing a marvelous mixture of wood, leather and toffee flavors with notes of cocoa and coffee bean on the finish. The smoke is bold, balanced and brimming with complexity. Another 'must-smoke cigar' from Lito Gomez.

CI: A full-bodied sun-grown from La Flor. La Flor Dominicana is known for creating some of the Dominican Republic’s strongest cigars. Coronado is no different. Made with a leathery sun-grown wrapper from Nicaragua, this Dominican-filled handmade offers a bold assortment of flavors. The large vitolas present a variety of aggressive, but smooth flavors with a lingering spice on the palate. A full-bodied winner.

Prelight: The sungrown wrapper is a dark caramel, colorado maduro, quite smooth with only minor veins. It's oily and very pretty. To the touch, it's firm with just a bit of give. The cold draw reveals some wood and spice.

Construction and burn: I lit this cigar in my usual style, torching the foot until I get a nice even cherry. I used a lot of butane, as it took a little time to get it fully lit. The draw is easy with just a touch of resistance, and there is a LOT of smoke. The burn is good but not great, with some wobbling, but it corrects itself, and the ash is strong, albeit with a bit of flakiness from the wrapper along the mascara line.

Flavor: There's a lot of pepper at the start and more tongue bite than I've had in a long time. The pepper gives way to wood and leather and toffee, and the smoke is very creamy and full, but the tongue bite is there to stay through the whole smoke. The finish is quite dry, peppery, and long - that creamy smoke just coats the mouth. But while the smoke is soft and creamy, the flavors are firm, structured, and tannic (in the way that a good cabernet is firm, structured, and tannic).

Then there's the nicotine. Damn, this thing has it in spades. I felt it in my stomach, then my head. Good thing I smoked it sitting down. I'm no wimp; this is a powerful smoke.

Overall, a very good cigar with heavy, creamy, complex flavors. If you're a fan of fuller, stronger cigars, you need to try it.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:28 AM   #2
ashmaster

Default Re: Coronado by La Flor corona especial

Very nice review....this sounds like a smoke I need to try, thanks.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
Green Lantern
of Sector 2814

First Name: Alex
Trading: (0)
Trinidad
Green Lantern is on a distinguished road

This cigar is fantastic!!! I've smoked through a box and a half of DBL Toro and DBL Coronas. Great balance of flavor and strength, I would consider it more of a medium/medium to full bodied. I don't know what it is but I'm really addicted to these cigars. If you get the oppurtunity to try one, do so.

I'm even smoking a DBL Toro right now
Old 02-12-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for a very nice review of this stick Eddie. I have one of these sitting in the humi that was gifted to me a few months back, and probably should give it a burn

Note: if you need some batteries for your camera, please let us know

Old 02-12-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Thanks for a very nice review of this stick Eddie. I have one of these sitting in the humi that was gifted to me a few months back, and probably should give it a burn

Note: if you need some batteries for your camera, please let us know

Sorry I'm slacking Mark. I managed to sneak out of work early and headed over to my local haunt to smoke this one. Alas, I didn't have my camera. I'll do better next time.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackIrish View Post

Sorry I'm slacking Mark. I managed to sneak out of work early and headed over to my local haunt to smoke this one. Alas, I didn't have my camera. I'll do better next time.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:33 PM   #7
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

First Name: Tattejuaje
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
TomHagen will become famous soon enough

Love this cigar!! Was smoking these like crazy about a year ago, will have to revist. Very complex, buttery-ness, spicy, creamy - it all there. Didn't find this as powerful as other Litto creations - but more balanced. Probably why I like it so much. Some do really have N-kick, like many LFD's. This is more cuban-esque than his other smokes.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
Patron

Local B&M had me try one of these and I fell love with it so I ordered a box. Very good smoke.

Nice review....good job!!!!
Old 02-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #9
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough

I love these. A must have for the humi in my opinion.
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote