Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 05-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #21
burnem
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ernie
Trading: (3)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
burnem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Opus X Perfecxion #5

Nice review. I love this size, one of the stronger I think. As has been said, I like 6month old to 6 years old in the Opus line.
burnem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #22
Duke9192

Nice review. I'm aging a box of these right now.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:40 AM   #23
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Thanks for the review. My neighborhood B&M has these for a good price; I'm gonna hafta grab a couple.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:38 PM   #24
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

So I've unpacked everything into the walk-in except the cooler that all the singles got dumped into. Found a few of these. This one said Mbraud newbie sampler. Based upon join dates its at least 10 years old ... maybe older if it was from the other place.

The cello is getting yellow.

Been smoking it for about a half hour. Almost pitched it after a few puffs glad I didn't. Hard on my nose till I reduced the draw intensity by half and retrohale to about 10%.

What wonderful flavors that linger in your mouth. Non communist producers can put such wonderful strong aged tobacco in their cigars without fear of quotas and policy on leaf distribution. Admittedly this is one of a handful of NC cigars I have chosen to smoke in the past 14 years. Smoked many because of circumstances (did not have my cigars with me) but few by choice.

Been really enjoying the port wine, fruit and raisins that I'm getting in the profile.

Either I'm numb or the cigar mellowed but able to retrohale over 50% now. Been smoking veeery slowly trying to keep it cool and smokeable in my fashion vs mouth only.

Enjoying the cigar. Much more flavor rich than expected. Little to much on occasion .. the fullness of flavors. Elegant mouth flavors. Long long aftertaste.

Every draw is potent flavor wise and have gotten used to the bite so partial nasal exhaling on every draw now. Thinking what might these be like in another 10 years?

Been smoking much more mild Cuban cigars for so long forgot what super premium NC cigars had to offer. The flavors are unique and consistent after 1/4 inch got this profile of raisins, plums, port going and going. Little dizzy just now. These are blended for mouth smokers was the smoking thought intense when you nose it... but not harsh enough to not come back for more of the flavor goodness... to be fair just drawing less is the right solution.

Habit is hard to overcome re draw and the nose thing. Smoking these on a regular basis would create different habits and a more relaxing experience.

There is some high quality interesting tobacco in these. Got a fresca pipes were getting hot. Losing some of the unique flavors as it burns towards an inch and a half to go. Maybe not losing but they are getting lost in the strength.

Tongue is a bit numb. Lots of nicotine in these. Glad my 100mg a day Nicorette habit makes me somewhat immune. Purged and the flavors have returned.

Intense keeps coming to mind. Twice the favors, 3x the kick of what I've been smoking. Have to hit it lighter take less smoke but that also makes the cigar last longer. A really fine cigar that with the proper adjustments even hard core "that island" smokers can enjoy.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:55 PM   #25
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I smoke 3 or 4 Opus a year, and really enjoy the lancero and PC sized ones. The robusto sized one, not so much. Thanks for the reminder, Dave.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:20 AM   #26
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

I have a few 2005 opus that are so unique it's hardly recognizable compared to what I typically smoke, like musty leathery raisins, significantly different than fresh (although I didn't get into cigars until some time after that, so could have been a tobacco change). Regardless I think these old opus are a great change of pace every now and again, thanks for sharing