Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-19-2009, 11:25 AM   #21
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

First Name: Christian
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
Tenor CS will become famous soon enoughTenor CS will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Oh no! I found a beetle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Sorry, no pics. I tossed the dissected stick, and the garbage has already been taken out.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #22
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

Cohiba

Question: I've seen beetles chew holes through cello. Can they chew through thicker plastic, like ziploc bags, or even food-saver bags?
Old 04-19-2009, 11:44 AM   #23
SmokinApe
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
SmokinApe has a spectacular aura aboutSmokinApe has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenor CS View Post
Question: I've seen beetles chew holes through cello. Can they chew through thicker plastic, like ziploc bags, or even food-saver bags?
Yes
SmokinApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:44 AM   #24
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

I had one in a tubo from a domestic vendor.

If you've yet to see a beetle, rest assured, you probably will at one point if you're not freezing or maintaining your cigars in a cool environment.

I also believe that there is not a vendor out there who has not sold cigars that at one time or another had some beetle issues, so a vendor call-out only serves a limited purpose.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:44 AM   #25
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
They can chew through your arm, Man!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:48 AM   #26
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
They can chew through your arm, Man!!!
Holy crap! If one of those landed on me, I'd poop a chicken.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:50 AM   #27
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
A chicken would poop a chicken!!! That thing's the size of a chicken!!!

Seriously, Sorry for changing the nature of this thread!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:11 PM   #28
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
If one of those landed on me, I would turn on the deep fryer and turn it into a snack
Old 04-19-2009, 12:16 PM   #29
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
If one of those landed on me, I would turn on the deep fryer and turn it into a snack
Protein!
Old 04-19-2009, 02:38 PM   #30
Beer Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepp View Post
The science says otherwise; the time tables in the link below is from a Japanese study that is very comprehensive on the subject.

Freezing everything can keep your personal Humis bug free with near 100% efficiency.

edited to add link to original study summary http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/aez/41/1/87/_pdf
That's a pretty good study! I've been looking for a study like that for awhile. However, there is at least one flaw in the study and some interesting points. The researchers used a strain of tobacco beetle that has been cultured in the lab for 10 years! That is a lot of time for the stock to essentially become "domesticated." What I mean by that is they could have lost some of their natural defense to cold because there was no pressure to retain these defenses. A 1992 study proposed that all studies should be done on stock obtained from the field within two years. They mention that there is no data on the difference b/t lab strains and wild strains but further study is needed to address this before their methods are adopted. It definitely seems that cold (especially -20C) will kill larvae and adults as well as eggs under their methods.

If I ever see a beetle in my cigars I will definitely freeze them but until then I'll follow the recommendation made by the authors (Imai and Haruda, 2006). I'll make sure my humi doesn't go above 18C. They showed that anything lower than 18C disrupts their life cycle so any eggs already in the cigars will not hatch.

Sucks you had an infestation Tenor! I was lucky enough never to have an infestation last year even though my humi rose over 18C many times last summer. This year the humi goes to the basement. Hopefully you've isolated your bugs and have no more problems!
Old 04-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #31
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinApe View Post
Yes
I have seen no evidence of this, please cite a source. Cello is a natural plant byproduct and like paper or tobacco can be consumed by Lasioderma serricorne, the tobacco beetle. Books and other paper products are also susceptible, but I never seen any reference to beetles eating any petroleum based products.

Of course there are those beetles with armor teeth who can chew through aluminum tubos, but that is another subject.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:07 PM   #32
orca17

I am fighting a beetle outbreak as we speak - my first. My cigars (the uninfected ones, anyway) just finished three days in the upright freezer in my garage and have moved to my mini refrigerator upstairs before lying at room temperature for a couple of days. I believe I have isolated the problem. I bought a used humidor and electronic humidifier from a guy off CraigsList. I asked him if he had checked his hygrometer for accuracy and he said that he had. He seemed to know a lot about cigars, humidity and humidors so I left the humidifier at his setting and left it alone. All seemed fine - until I discovered beetle larva damage late last week. Then I checked the humidity in the humidor with my digital hygrometer, which I know to be accurate within about 1%. When the hygrometer on the humidor read 70 percent it was in fact 79 percent - prime beetle farming range.

Here are some pictures of my beetle experience. What made these harder to find is that almost all of the damage they did was underneath the cedar wrappers of three Indian Tabac Limited Reserve toros. Had I not pulled out an infested stick to smoke on the way to work last week, they might have been a lot farther along damaging cigars before I discovered them. Here are two of the sticks as they looked when I removed them from the humidor:

And here is what I found when I removed the cedar sleeves:

I had seen pictures of bore holes before, but I had never seen a shot where they had eaten large segments of the wrapper itself. Here is a closeup of the holes on the cigar on the right:

And here are the bore holes on a Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Churchill they decided to excavate:

I figured out that these particular beetles (a) love Rocky Patel blends, and (b) don't like maduros.

Last edited by orca17; 04-19-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #33
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Quote:
I have seen no evidence of this, please cite a source. Cello is a natural plant byproduct and like paper or tobacco can be consumed by Lasioderma serricorne, the tobacco beetle. Books and other paper products are also susceptible, but I never seen any reference to beetles eating any petroleum based products.
Really good point and one I'd like to see clarified one way or the other.

The point Beer Doctor made about studying a lab strain is also really important. Canola oil was developed because some research from France suggested rapeseed oil caused fat infiltration in rat hearts. 15 years later, it became clear that the problem was the lab's rat colony being inbred ... same problems weren't seen in mice, typical Sprague Dawley or Wistar lab rats or other animals. The French lab's inbred rat colony did not behave normally. But by the time that was clarified, Canadian researchers had developed low erucic acid low glucosinolate rapeseed oil, which was subsequently renamed Canola. If it wasn't for that French lab's strangely behaving inbred rats, Canola would never have happened.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #34
SmokinApe
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
SmokinApe has a spectacular aura aboutSmokinApe has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Quote:

Of course there are those beetles with armor teeth who can chew through aluminum tubos, but that is another subject.
I don't have a source. No pictures and no documented case studies... I though cello was petroleum based... This still doesn't mean they won't chew through a zip lock...
SmokinApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:30 AM   #35
SlickBT
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Brian
SlickBT is on a distinguished road

After reading this thread, I started looking through my humidor and coolers to check for evidence of beeltes. Unfortunately, I found two boxes from one manufacturer that were infested. Looks like I lost about 18 sticks. Everything else is going through the freeze process, but that may take a while.

I have been very careful with temperature and humidity, pretty much right at 65 degrees and 66-68%. I am not exactly sure what I can do to avoid this in the future.
SlickBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #36
Beer Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickBT View Post
After reading this thread, I started looking through my humidor and coolers to check for evidence of beeltes. Unfortunately, I found two boxes from one manufacturer that were infested. Looks like I lost about 18 sticks. Everything else is going through the freeze process, but that may take a while.

I have been very careful with temperature and humidity, pretty much right at 65 degrees and 66-68%. I am not exactly sure what I can do to avoid this in the future.
After reading and posting in this thread I went through all my loose singles and boxes to ensure no infestation. However, I had a nightmare last night where I left my cooler in the sun for a whole day that caused all of my sticks to become infested. I was so glad when I woke up
Old 04-23-2009, 09:12 AM   #37
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

We got a 602 at 31 spooner street!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_48oowCVMjU

Really though, sucks about getting a beetle. At least the problem seems to be localized
Old 04-23-2009, 09:48 PM   #38
Caymus
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ken
Trading: (0)
Caymus is on a distinguished road

About how long does the temperature have to be above 70 to likely activate the beetles ? A day ? A week ? I have my desktop humidors in my office where it gets very warm. I've since moved them to a cooler room, but now I'm paranoid. I've inspected many of them very closely with a flashlight but don't see any signs of beetle infestation (no holes, no crumbs, etc).
Caymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #39
rlaliberty

^ I'm curious about this as well.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #40
sodomanaz

Moved all of my humidors to the basement. These threads are always put me on edge.