Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-17-2023, 09:18 PM   #141
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Lancero love

Smoking another La Palina Illumination lancero. I believe it's the only one I've smoked since my last comment on this thread.

Nice cigar. I see that I considered these to be very strong in my last review. The 'strength' has subsided a bit with some humidor time. Good draw. Good burn with only 2 minor corrections.

Nothing mind blowing, flavor wise. But a really tasty smoke. Woodsy aroma coming from the foot as I type. Very noticeable sweetness on the draw, tobacco and wood through the nose.

I see through an internet search that these appear to be discontinued. Glad I bought a metric sh*t ton of 5 packs when I did.
Old 03-21-2023, 09:46 PM   #142
borndead1

Partagas

Megilla lancero (7 x 42)

This appears to be another Cigar Page exclusive. I've had pretty good luck with their house brand smokes, so I added a fiver of these to a recent order. This one has been nekkid in the humi for only a few days.

This is a well constructed cigar. Smooth medium brown wrapper with a nice sheen. No lumps! Nice weight in the hand. Good draw. When a cigar feels way heavier than it looks, but still draws well, that's the work of a talented torcedor.

Nice smoke. No major twists and turns in the flavor. Pretty typical Nicaraguan cigar flavors of wood and baking spice, but very smooth through the nose. Unlike the quadruple ligero bombs that became popular for some reason. Good burn with only a couple of minor corrections. Nice aroma from the foot. A bit of a floral flavor comes in during the second half. There's a nice depth to the flavor that I only get from Cubans and a few NCs. It's a palate coating sensation that I cannot put into words.

Final thoughts...this is another budget friendly winner from Cigar Page.
Old 03-22-2023, 04:55 PM   #143
Axeman
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Lance
Trading: (0)
Axeman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post
Megilla lancero (7 x 42)

This appears to be another Cigar Page exclusive. I've had pretty good luck with their house brand smokes, so I added a fiver of these to a recent order. This one has been nekkid in the humi for only a few days.

This is a well constructed cigar. Smooth medium brown wrapper with a nice sheen. No lumps! Nice weight in the hand. Good draw. When a cigar feels way heavier than it looks, but still draws well, that's the work of a talented torcedor.

Nice smoke. No major twists and turns in the flavor. Pretty typical Nicaraguan cigar flavors of wood and baking spice, but very smooth through the nose. Unlike the quadruple ligero bombs that became popular for some reason. Good burn with only a couple of minor corrections. Nice aroma from the foot. A bit of a floral flavor comes in during the second half. There's a nice depth to the flavor that I only get from Cubans and a few NCs. It's a palate coating sensation that I cannot put into words.

I appreciate this review. I've been looking for a replacement for some favorites of mine that devalued (got priced more than I think they're worth).
I'll give these a try and if I like them I'll put in some survival rations.
Axeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:36 PM   #144
borndead1

Partagas

Smoking another Murcielago lancero.

DAAAAAAMN, what a great smoke. A humidor nap has done wonders for an already good cigar. Good draw. Long, slow burn (over an hour!). No major twists and turns. Fairly typical Nicaraguan maduro wrap flavors. Cocoa, coffee, coconut. The 3 Cs of a Nic maduro.

There's not much hype around these, and I have a feeling that this line is about to be discontinued (or rebooted for the 4th time). So I grabbed 2 boxes of these lanceros. If I can make some room, I will probably get a couple more boxes of the toros as well.

But I probably can't make room. Oh well. It won't be my first beloved cigar that is lost forever.
Old 03-24-2023, 06:44 AM   #145
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Smoking another Murcielago lancero.

DAAAAAAMN, what a great smoke. A humidor nap has done wonders for an already good cigar. Good draw. Long, slow burn (over an hour!). No major twists and turns. Fairly typical Nicaraguan maduro wrap flavors. Cocoa, coffee, coconut. The 3 Cs of a Nic maduro.

There's not much hype around these, and I have a feeling that this line is about to be discontinued (or rebooted for the 4th time). So I grabbed 2 boxes of these lanceros. If I can make some room, I will probably get a couple more boxes of the toros as well.

But I probably can't make room. Oh well. It won't be my first beloved cigar that is lost forever.
Just Bought 15, Mark!. Great Review! Thanks! How Long Did You Rest Them To Get Their "Peak Performance"??? Thanks!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 08:24 PM   #146
borndead1

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Just Bought 15, Mark!. Great Review! Thanks! How Long Did You Rest Them To Get Their "Peak Performance"??? Thanks!
Quite a while, honestly. My last fiver auction win was about a year and a half ago.
Old 03-26-2023, 08:34 PM   #147
borndead1

Partagas

Southern Draw Jacob's Ladder lancero

I think this cigar came as part of a sampler. I've tried several of the Southern Draw line, and honestly I think the best one so far has been the Rose of Sharon, a mild CT wrap cigar.

Very well constructed, perfect draw. Decent burn with only one minor correction around 1/3 of the way in. Pretty typical quadruple ligero bomb Nicaraguan maduro flavors. Coffee, cocoa, coconut. Either I have the palate of a goat, or mofos need to start blending more interesting cigars. Or I need to stop reviewing cigars while drinking.

This lancero is a solid smoke, for sure. But it's not something I would buy a box of. For a full flavored Nicaraguan maduro, I prefer the Murcielago lancero for around the same price.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:09 AM   #148
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Southern Draw Jacob's Ladder lancero

For a full flavored Nicaraguan maduro, I prefer the Murcielago lancero for around the same price.
I agree with you Mark.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:49 AM   #149
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 03-28-2023, 09:38 AM   #150
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Quite a while, honestly. My last fiver auction win was about a year and a half ago.
Thanks! Maybe I'll Wait 3 Months & Try Them For The First Time.
Old 03-28-2023, 12:43 PM   #151
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Now that's a Punch you don't see everyday. How'd it smoke?
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 01:56 PM   #152
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill View Post
Now that's a Punch you don't see everyday. How'd it smoke?
It was beautiful, Bill. I have heard horror stories of plugged cabs of these, but i haven't had a single tight draw yet.

Old 03-28-2023, 07:20 PM   #153
borndead1

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Is that a ManTua? They were an 'alternate' on my list of foolish purchases. I went with the SCDH Cabanas instead.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:35 AM   #154
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Is that a ManTua? They were an 'alternate' on my list of foolish purchases. I went with the SCDH Cabanas instead.
It is, Mark. Came in a 50 cab, and they smoke wonderfully.

Old 04-22-2023, 06:34 PM   #155
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Megilla lancero (7 x 42)

Smoking One, Now! Delicious! Thanks For The Great Review!
Old 04-22-2023, 06:41 PM   #156
MaytagMan
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Bill
Trading: (1)
VR
MaytagMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Megilla lancero (7 x 42)

TFTR! I've seen the brand on Cigar Page for a while but have always hesitated on pulling the trigger for some reason. Now I have a good reason to order more cigars! Excellent...
Old 06-09-2023, 08:32 PM   #157
borndead1

Partagas

Whassup, my BOTL?

Smoking another Murcielago lancero. DAMN, these are good smokes with some humidor time. Still the typical maduro flavors of cocoa and coconut, but a very noticeable floral flavor and aroma coming from the foot. I'm on a break from work, and I'm smoking this long skinny stick with a petite syrah from northern CA.

Life is good.
Old 06-10-2023, 07:33 AM   #158
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Whassup, my BOTL?

Smoking another Murcielago lancero. DAMN, these are good smokes with some humidor time. Still the typical maduro flavors of cocoa and coconut, but a very noticeable floral flavor and aroma coming from the foot. I'm on a break from work, and I'm smoking this long skinny stick with a petite syrah from northern CA.

Life is good.
How Long Humi Time, Mark? Mine Are Still Resting After 2 Months???
Old 06-10-2023, 08:50 AM   #159
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

May 2015 RyJ Cazadores. Just a few left now.

Old 06-10-2023, 07:42 PM   #160
borndead1

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
How Long Humi Time, Mark? Mine Are Still Resting After 2 Months???
This particular cigar has been out of the cello and in my low humidity desktop for a little over 1 year.