Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 06-21-2016, 07:35 AM   #1
sleeved613
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
sleeved613 is on a distinguished road
Default Humidor Issues

Good Morning, Asylum -

I have been having terrible issues with my humidor. I inherited one from my brother, it is a large Thompson Cigars humidor. I seasoned it, left it for 24 hours, added the Boveda pack, left it for 24 hours, added the hygrometer and cigars and it consistently hovered around 60% humidity and was rather warm. I moved it to my basement, now its cold and still at 59-60% humidity. SO, I purchased a smaller humidor, seasoned it, left it 24 hours, added Boveda and hygrometer and it is still at 60%.... What am I doing wrong?
sleeved613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:35 AM   #2
sleeved613
Just in from the Storm

Default Re: Humidor Issues

Correction: The new humidor is at about 54%
Old 06-21-2016, 07:55 AM   #3
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Is the second humidor also from Thompson's? That could be the problem right there.

Did you calibrate your hygrometer?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:16 AM   #4
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Sounds to me like you are moving too fast. put a bowl of water with a sponge in it. Close it and leave it for 4 or 5 days. LEAVE IT DONT OPEN IT. On day 5 check your humidity. Keep in mind that at cooler temps its harder to keep higher humidities.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:00 AM   #5
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

I endorse both comments here. I would calibrate your hygrometer (there are many threads on here how to do that), put your sticks in a tupperware type container for now, and as Mike said season your humidors for at least 5 days, 1 or 2 days isn't really going to cut it.

Best of luck!
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:17 PM   #6
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Or just say "FINALLY, I have em just the way the Brits like em!" and be happy with your success. You are almost
never going to find a humidor from a cigar discounter that will serve as a long term, stable home for cigars. So why
do they sell em by the thousands every month? Because everyone has to learn the hard way. The good thing about
that is that a crappy humidor keeps cigars about as well as a ziplock bag or tupperware box. So in the end, if you smoke
a lot, hell, just upgrade to a downgrade and enjoy the smoking, not the worry.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:14 PM   #7
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeved613 View Post
Good Morning, Asylum -

I have been having terrible issues with my humidor. I inherited one from my brother, it is a large Thompson Cigars humidor. I seasoned it, left it for 24 hours, added the Boveda pack, left it for 24 hours, added the hygrometer and cigars and it consistently hovered around 60% humidity and was rather warm. I moved it to my basement, now its cold and still at 59-60% humidity. SO, I purchased a smaller humidor, seasoned it, left it 24 hours, added Boveda and hygrometer and it is still at 60%.... What am I doing wrong?
You should check out this thread: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=620

As others have explained, it takes more time to properly season a humidor.

Also, you get what you pay for, so inexpensive humidor so tend to be leaky, so they take more effort to maintain.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:00 AM   #8
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Balancing humidity can take weeks. Be patient and don't overdue the attempts to humidify. Cigars and wood can only accept so much humidity at a time. You'll risk mold or beetles going too aggressive.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:08 AM   #9
sleeved613
Just in from the Storm

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions. I will keep you updated on my progress.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:14 AM   #10
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

The aforementioned Thompson humi was always a solid seal when I used it. Then again, this has been out of use for a few years, so it may be leaky until properly seasoned.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:22 AM   #11
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

I will post links to a few videos that you may find helpful as I tend to like videos.

http://www.stogiereview.com/2006/10/...umidor-part-1/

http://www.stogiereview.com/2006/11/...umidor-part-2/

Now as for checking out your humidor, you can check the seal with the dollar bill test. You can google it but basically close the lid on a dollar bill and it should have resistance to pulling it out. Check all four sides.

Now I am a bit puzzled on your humidity element. Boveda has a lot of products but if your using a pack, you might want to consider something like this:

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/p...p?prod=AH_1_70
Which is the small humidifier.

One of the benefits to the beads is if they go dry quickly, it's another check that your humidor is dry and quickly is going to be subjective but you shouldn't have to recharge it but once every two weeks.

Finally, and this is important, the less air you have to provide humidity for, the easier it is to stay consistent so hit up cigar bid and curse my name forever more.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:46 AM   #12
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

And I would be remiss if I didn't mention that you can opt to do a tupperdor.

http://www.stogiefresh.info/edu-humi...-your-own.html

Note, no moisture escapes so go with beads or Boveda.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:00 AM   #13
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weelok View Post
I will post links to a few videos that you may find helpful as I tend to like videos.

http://www.stogiereview.com/2006/10/...umidor-part-1/

http://www.stogiereview.com/2006/11/...umidor-part-2/

Now as for checking out your humidor, you can check the seal with the dollar bill test. You can google it but basically close the lid on a dollar bill and it should have resistance to pulling it out. Check all four sides.

Now I am a bit puzzled on your humidity element. Boveda has a lot of products but if your using a pack, you might want to consider something like this:

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/p...p?prod=AH_1_70
Which is the small humidifier.

One of the benefits to the beads is if they go dry quickly, it's another check that your humidor is dry and quickly is going to be subjective but you shouldn't have to recharge it but once every two weeks.

Finally, and this is imporrtant, the less air you have to provide humidity for, the easier it is to stay consistent so hit up cigar bid and curse my name forever more.
I disagree with this -- a little -- all humidification devices require some air flow to be effective. If your the RH in your humidor is good and you don't mess with it (add or remove cigars, or open it up much) then less air flow is OK. However, if your RH is not where you want it, or you add and remove cigars frequently, then some air flow will help your humidor stabilize more quickly.

Also, the larger the humidor, the more air flow you need.

Just my

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote