Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 06-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
Bad Finger

Default La Herencia Cubana Core (Toro) Review

A few people have been asking about this one on the boards and since I happened to receive a few in a sampler a bit back, I thought I would break one out for ya'll.

Cigar: La Herencia Cubana "Core"

Size: Toro (6.5 x 52) Box-Pressed

Price: $175 per box @ cigar.com

Blended By: AJ Fernandez

Filler: Nicaraguan and Honduran Ligero mixed with Pennsylvania Broadleaf

Binder: N/A

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano Ligero

Pre-Light:

A truly beautiful cigar, I find this stick to be nearly flawless sans a slightly crooked secondary cap. Seamless as a cigar can be, she is very even in color, heavy in the hand and smooth to the touch. No soft spots can be found.

Lighting:

The first three puffs are tobacco flavored. Not much development at this stage any way. By the 6th puff, we start to take off into the chocolate zone. Like a weak chocolate ovaltine right now. By the 10th draw I begin to get some wood notes and a bit of spice at the back of the tongue. The chocolate hints begin to fade and more spice and wood make themselves present.

1/3rd:

Burning very evenly so far, the draw is also perfect. Plenty of loose smoke, but the stick is still feeling very tightly rolled. I notice that the cigar is begining to expand near the cherry, pushing it out another couple of ring gauges. 1 inch in, I start to detect a few hints of black tea, which turns out to be very appealing. This cigar is already much spicier than the LHC Oscuro Fuerte EVEr becomes. Seems to be a very floral cigar, as my palette continues to detect the taste of flowers. It isn't the taste of a smell of a flower, but more that you just ate a damn flower. Slightly acrid, but very fresh and green. It is only hints, so don't let it deter you. At the 2 in mark, I start to notice a wonderful creaminess coming in underneath the spice. When I draw from it, I notice spice on my tongue, but as I exhale, the creaminess overcomes the spice and mellows out into a nice sweet woodiness.

2/3rd

The stick is still expanding, but it has not affected the burn or draw. Flavors are remaining much the same, spice in the middle of the tongue with lots of wood. Leather and a light coffee taste start to come out about midway through. More coffee comes in with nuttiness. It's developing from a "house blend" into a "french roast" so to say. The complexity of this cigar is far greater than the Oscuro Fuerte. Many more layers of flavor coming through. Not quite as powerful or full, but much more flavorful. Some toffee sweetness comes through on the retro hale just past the half way point. The creaminess has blended with the sweetness to have a creamy butteriness now. Slightly like browned butter, but much nuttier. Of course, that is if you can get past the spice layers. Burn is dead even still, the ash is a lovely white, with grey rungs showing my inability to smoke a cigar slowly.

Final 3rd: Getting lots of smoked Oak now. The retrohale makes me think my head is stuck inside a new whiskey barrel. The cigar smoke has gotten much heavier. I find myself slowing down quite a bit on the puffing. Still very sweet and woody, it is starting to lose some of it's spice. Feeling very nicotine-filled at the moment. I'm picking up on a bit of nutmeg hiding out in the last 3rd. Blended with the creaminess and nutty notes, its almost Egg Nog-ish to me in a way. As the stick simmers down to the last 3 or so inches, it starts to present the taste of dried currants. Slightly acidic, but sweet and tangy. At this point, I can't tell if the spice has left the stick of if my tongue is now numb from being overworked by so many flavors!

Final thoughts:

While a great cigar by most standards, I find myself confused by this cigar. It seems that it is trying to be too many things. Firstly, for being at the price point it is, there are many better smokes to be had. It is a rather tasty stick if the price is right, but I can't justify $175 a box for what it is. My advice? Buy a box of Cuba Libre One for your Spicy needs, and a box of Oscuro Fuerte for your LHC fix. You'll have twice as many smokes and still have $75 in your pocket.

Would I buy again? Yes, if it were down to the $5-6 a stick range.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of
Default Re: La Herencia Cubana Core (Toro) Review

Thanks for the sweet review!!! Well done!

I was curious about these!

I think I'll wait until I find a good deal.

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice review. Now I gotta find one.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
Sherlockholms

Nice Review Clancy!
Old 05-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
Jon11
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jon
Trading: (0)
Jon11 is on a distinguished road

Just smoked one of these that I had in the bottom of the humidor....pretty damn tasty, and now they can be bought for a good price. Way better than I expected(probably why it was at the bottom). I might buy some more. Does anyone else like this stick?
Jon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Finally had one a few weeks back and must say that I was disappointed with this stick. I expected a lot more for the price. It was ok, but not worth the
$ 11-12 sticker. I will stick to the Oscuro Fuertes...they are tasty and spicy as all get up and A LOT cheaper.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
TJtorpedo
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
TJtorpedo is on a distinguished road

I enjoy them as well (I like a lot of AJs stuff). I'm also a sucker for a sharply box-pressed cigar.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
TJtorpedo
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
TJtorpedo is on a distinguished road

If I'm not mistaken, I believe these can be had on the devil site lately for about $4 per stick.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

I've got one resting that I got in a sampler, you've got me curious now
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
Snort Ciroc
Just To Enjoy

First Name: Gavin
Trading: (0)
CoastGuard (Active)
Snort Ciroc is on a distinguished road

It's a great cigar. I love the aftertaste also. very chocolatey with small hints of coffee(although that could have been the coffee I enjoyed with this cigar.) Now worth the price, but mabye 4 dollars a stick would do.
Snort Ciroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #11
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Finally had one a few weeks back and must say that I was disappointed with this stick. I expected a lot more for the price. It was ok, but not worth the
$ 11-12 sticker. I will stick to the Oscuro Fuertes...they are tasty and spicy as all get up and A LOT cheaper.
I agree. I didn't care for them at all or the regular LHC, but the Oscuro Fuertes are for the money.