Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
wolfandwhisky is on a distinguished road
Default Fuente Magnum R

The Fuente Magnum R held a consistent flavor profile throughout the burn, and was grounded in almond, creme, and vanilla.

Burn was smooth, draw was easy, wrapper was not particularly oily.

I posted my notes here, and I've copied the text below (pics at site):

A good BOTL had pointed me in the direction of a new shop, and on my inaugural visit I decided to grab a couple of the new Arturo Fuente Magnum R cigars.

These were released, with seemingly unnoticeable fanfare, around the end of 2009 (a number of places received their initial ‘teaser’ stock around Christmastime). The Magnum R comes in three sizes, and the stick I burned for this review was the Magnum 56, which measures at 5 5/8ths x 56.

On to the notes:
Construction: The stick is a good size. The band looks great with a bold color scheme, and it serves as a nice variation from the traditional Fuente band. There were two noticeable veins in the wrapper, which was not very oily. The lack of apparent oils made me do a double take at my humidity out of fear of having dried it out. Fear not, though – the humidity was a-ok. All in, it is visually imposing but not intimidating. The prelight smell was very fresh, almost fragrant with hints of almond.

The draw was a little tight up front, so I punched a bigger hole and the draw fixed right up – my bad for using such a small punch on such a large ring gauge, I guess. It started burning a little uneven right out of the gate, but corrected immediately after the first inch. After correcting the burn and the draw, the smoke was voluminous and white. Ash fell off in about 1 inch segments.

Initial Flavors: The immediate notes were of hazelnut and nutmeg – reminded me of the nut bowl set out at Christmastime. After getting it going, hints of cream started to enter the picture. These nut and cream notes combined wonderfully to create an almond toffee flavor. At this point, all I could ask for was some chocolate and I’d have Almond Roca!

But, chocolate was not to be found. The sweetness did increase though, almost from a syrup. The flavor transitioned nicely to a caramelized almond, with hints of spice entering the background.

Continuing Flavors: After about the first third, I started picking up notes of vanilla. The range of flavors in this blend all work well together, making it very enjoyable.

After the first half, the almonds and cream return as the predominant set of flavors, and the vanilla faded in and out, like a subtle ribbon of flavor.

Towards the end, the medium bodied side of this cigar really started to poke through, with some mild pepper and spice – but they did not overwhelm the continuation of the almond dominance.

With Whisky: N/A – Water only, but will certainly have to revisit this.

This is definitely a stick I’d reach for again. The flavor profile doesn’t change much over time, sticking with the almond, creme, and vanilla them. The consistency isn’t a fault, though, as the flavors are very balanced and complementary. I could see this stick working really well at a poker game.

For my initial rating, this stick is a solid 8.5, with potential upon further review to move to a 9. To make that jump, though, I’d need something new from this stick. While it is an enjoyable, consistent stick with a great flavor profile, nothing jumped to make it really say “Wow!”, and that is what I think might be there, and what I think would bump this to a 9.

Regret the Purchase: No.
Buy Another Single: Yes.
Buy a Box: Seriously Considering It.
wolfandwhisky is offline   Reply With Quote