Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice
Default That was close.

Back story: I drive a Lincoln LS. Notorious for coil-on-plug failures. Anyways, the car starts misfiring something terrible a couple days ago, and I think it's just another coil or 2 on the way out. I figured I'd drive it until the check engine light comes on, so it would tell me which cylinder is misfiring, thus making it really easy to find the right one to change. I stop at the gas station for something to drink, and when I get out, the damn car almost sounds like a diesel with a knock! I pop the hood, and hear it coming from the front drivers side of the engine, right where the timing chains are located. Awesome.

Drove it straight to my mechanic, and let him know my diagnosis. I also ordered a new secondary timing chain tensioner (a somewhat common problem with higher mileage cars of the same year/model) and a new valve cover gasket set, just to be safe.

Picked up parts this morning to the tune of $200. Can't believe a little spring loaded piece made out of PLASTIC and a damn gasket set could be $200, but that's neither here not there. Cheaper than a car payment (just got the car paid off last month).

My mechanic called me once he had it torn down. The old tensioner almost fell apart in his hands while he was removing it. I was within a mile or 2 from jumping time. The engine is an interference engine, meaning valves hit heads if it jumps time.

Escaped by the skin of my teeth! $630 out the door, and she's back on the road. Damn close call!

Now, out for a smoke
Posted via Mobile Device
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: That was close.

Grants on getting out of that for only 630 bucks, would a been a bummer if you'd had to do a rebuild that soon after paying it off.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Damn, you got lucky. I dont even want to know the repair cost if you started to bend valves.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

If it wouldve jumped time, it would have been cheaper to just buy a different engine, Larry. And that would've SUCKED.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Glad it worked out, Peter!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Cars are like women- can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

That's definately a bonus. I'm at the end of my car issues and it feels GOOD.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
Back story: I drive a Lincoln LS. Notorious for coil-on-plug failures. Anyways, the car starts misfiring something terrible a couple days ago, and I think it's just another coil or 2 on the way out. I figured I'd drive it until the check engine light comes on, so it would tell me which cylinder is misfiring, thus making it really easy to find the right one to change. I stop at the gas station for something to drink, and when I get out, the damn car almost sounds like a diesel with a knock! I pop the hood, and hear it coming from the front drivers side of the engine, right where the timing chains are located. Awesome.

Drove it straight to my mechanic, and let him know my diagnosis. I also ordered a new secondary timing chain tensioner (a somewhat common problem with higher mileage cars of the same year/model) and a new valve cover gasket set, just to be safe.

Picked up parts this morning to the tune of $200. Can't believe a little spring loaded piece made out of PLASTIC and a damn gasket set could be $200, but that's neither here not there. Cheaper than a car payment (just got the car paid off last month).

My mechanic called me once he had it torn down. The old tensioner almost fell apart in his hands while he was removing it. I was within a mile or 2 from jumping time. The engine is an interference engine, meaning valves hit heads if it jumps time.

Escaped by the skin of my teeth! $630 out the door, and she's back on the road. Damn close call!

Now, out for a smoke
Posted via Mobile Device
Thats what insurance is for. To buy you a new car when your engine blows.
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #9
Pseudosacred
What will your verse be?

First Name: Nick
Trading: (1)
Pseudosacred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty81 View Post
Thats what insurance is for. To buy you a new car when your engine blows.
Unless you're emotionally attached to the car. My dad has spent 10's of thousands of dollars on his car. He could have easily bought a new vehicle for what he's spent in 2 garage visits. He just loves that car.

You can't replace memories!
Pseudosacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudosacred View Post
Unless you're emotionally attached to the car. My dad has spent 10's of thousands of dollars on his car. He could have easily bought a new vehicle for what he's spent in 2 garage visits. He just loves that car.

You can't replace memories!
True. I guess I was just refering to the average car.
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #11
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Whoa, what kind of insurance do you have that it's covered if the engine goes down... I want it.

Nice catch, Peter.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #12
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattso3000 View Post
Whoa, what kind of insurance do you have that it's covered if the engine goes down... I want it.

Nice catch, Peter.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I don't know of any insurance policy that covers catastrophic engine failure. I have a very nice full coverage policy, and it doesn't cover mechanical stuff. Maybe he's referring to a warranty?

And thanks. I was very relieved that I caught it in time!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

I had a timing belt go on a Ford once, while I was out on vacation in Northern Michigan. When I say northern MI, I mean I was out in the boonies, where I was lucky to have a cell phone signal, let alone access to a mechanic! Anyways, I was driving along when the engine just quit. I popped the hood and checked what I could, but to no avail. So, I call AAA and was told it would be 2.5 hours for a tow truck to arrive...Anyways, I figured it was a timing belt when I was cranking it over and heard kind of a clunking sound, then it began cranking a lot faster. Long story short, I was stranded in Newberry, MI for a weekend until the mechanic came back on Mon. to fix it, and the hotel I was staying at was in St. Ignace, a good hour or more away...the Best Western was nice enough to not charge me for the nights I wasn't there, which was nice, and the repair only cost me about 300 bucks, and the car kept going until 140,000 miles, when the head gasket went and I decided to just get rid of it and buy another.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #14
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Glad it worked out decent for you! And a big cyber high five for not having car payments!
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:07 AM   #15
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

Thanks, jluck! That is exactly my point when others try to get me to buy a different car!
Posted via Mobile Device