Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-29-2013, 01:34 AM   #1
kansashat
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Alan
Trading: (0)
kansashat is on a distinguished road
Default Bitter pallate?

I've had a problem for a couple of months now.

Most cigars I have been smoking develop a bitter finish about halfway through the cigar.

I smoke a lot of Nicaraguan...Pepins, Oliva, EO brands, etc...

I've checked my RH, 60-65 mostly.

I'm a soft flamer, but have been doing that for a very long time & until recently, no problem.

Have tried flame purging & it helps a little.

I drink somewhat hoppy craft beers, amber ales, steam beer, etc. Have noticed that malty beers like bocks & stouts reduce the bitterness quite a bit, but don't want to drink stouts exclusivley.

Have tried, without much success LOL, to slow down a bit on puffing. I'm not smoking any faster than I have for years, so WTH?

I haven't tried dry boxing yet as it demands a bit more planning than I would prefer.

So, to summarize. The nose is great, am still a very prolific retroinhaler, & the taste is fine...til I get to the finish, then bitter city. AAAAGGGHHH!

Any thoughts? Anyone?

There may be some around here who may remember me from another site. I must say that Iamstillveryfondofbananacreampie!
kansashat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Bitter pallate?

Good to see you surface again Alan. Isuredorememberyourpenchantforbananagreampie.

Have you tried just drinking water? Eliminating the beer component may not solve the problem but will reduce the variables.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Just curious have is this all cigars, have you gone to a B&M and bought a cigar and tried that, or is this just cigars from your stash?
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Do you smoke outside? If so I know that when the heat and Rh are high it tends to cause my cigars to burn poorly and can get bitter.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
Garbandz
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (53)
Garbandz will become famous soon enough

This has happened to me and others on this forum. I have done some digging to try and understand this problem. Here is what I have learned.
Could be your body has a ph problem,have you changed diet or vitamins,are you drinking more citrus or dairy? Coffee?
Could be you need to purge your system,too much nicotine hanging around.
Quit cigars for a week,monitor fluids and vitamins,and brush your teeth and tongue thoroughly.Possibly an oral bacteria is present.
And stay away from hoppy beers,for a while,too...
Garbandz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
MUNKY
Resident Pig Hunter

First Name: Brandon
Trading: (19)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
MUNKY will become famous soon enoughMUNKY will become famous soon enough

I have ruined a couple good sticks when pairing with beer (Newcastle) and have since stopped drinking beers with my Stogies. It tasted just as you described.
MUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Buy but I know that avatar. Welcome home!

As some have mentioned, could be the pairing. Have you considered that it may be that you are smoking too fast? I literally needed an egg timer to slow myself down at one point.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
Milvel
My nizzles be skizzling.

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
Milvel will become famous soon enough

I never seem to get a good taste from a cigar while drinking a beer. I'll either drink a Dr Pepper or Crown and Coke. DP seems to go well with most of the cigars I've smoked.
Milvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

I don't have luck pairing a hoppy beer with a cigar. The pleasant bitterness of the hops just seems to overpower the cigar. So now I stick with water or a sweeter drink - Coke Zero, rum and coke, bourbon, home-brewed stout, and occasionally Scotch or Irish whiskey.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
milhouse
Still Watching My Back

milhouse is on a distinguished road

i don't like pairing beer with cigars. if i do drink a beer, light beers taste best to me when smoking. To me a coors light or an amstel light seems to taste better than a craft beer in that instance. Probably because they are mostly water anyway. LOL

i have tried the soda thing, and that doesn't do it for me either.

Lightly sweetened tea is my go to non alcoholic drink for cigars. i drink bourbon with them the other 95% of the time.

hope your taste buds go back to normal lol
milhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

Sometimes I get the same problem. No amount of brushing has ever helped. It's usually my cue that I haven't been drinking enough water and I'm dehydrated. I use to think it was palate fatigue or something but if I drink a gallon of so of water over the course of a day it clears right up.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:36 AM   #12
kansashat
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Alan
kansashat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Good to see you surface again Alan. Isuredorememberyourpenchantforbananagreampie.

Have you tried just drinking water? Eliminating the beer component may not solve the problem but will reduce the variables.
Hey Peter! Good to hear from you! I recognize some others too...hola vatos! Thanks for everyone's input.

I think the beer, sadly, may be the answer...I do love my three beers after work. In retrospect, I remember recently smoking a few early evening cigars in the back yard after yardwork on my day off. I was drinking a coke zero while relaxing by the shade garden & didn't notice the bitterness. Oh well, I do have some brandy & cognac that may pair a little better with a cigar. Will try tomorrow nite & see how it goes...one problem though...it takes about 2 beers to smoke a cigar, but God knows how much Remy Martin I can drink with a cigar! LOL!!!

Last edited by kansashat; 06-30-2013 at 01:43 AM.
kansashat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:33 AM   #13
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Bitter cigars are generally from getting them too hot or smoking them too quickly. Try using a timer on the next cigar and puff only every two minutes. Slowing the cigar smoking pace down is difficult, but will reward you in the en.