Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default The final word on "Cigars are good for me"

This is a bit sciencey and wordy, so I'll summarize first.
They finally figured out what's wrong with me, almost. It's real close, and is one of 20 or 30 rare muscular related genetic missense mutations that are all much the same, with small differences. It's been narrowed down to 3, pretty much. We just have to mess around a bit to figure out exactly which it is, then test for it specifically. (That's just eight tubes of blood for more genetic testing.)
Nicotine plays a large part in fixing it. It's probably why I've been chewing snuff and tobacco since I was 8.

Here's the cool stuff...
My problem is that little channels that carry electrical signals to the muscles don't work right. They don't open and close correctly.
Then the wrong substances come from the cells, in the wrong amounts. Certain amounts of potassium or sodium should enter that channel, and those two things are what regulates the electrical current. I have a mutation that causes those two things to be all goofy.
The cool part is that those channels are called Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptors. The reason they are called that is because ingested nicotine will make them run like they should.
As my problems have progressed, I've naturally amped my nicotine intake to 2 cans of snuff a day, smoking lots of cigars, and now I've added sniffing snuff.
Odd part is, I've done it all mindlessly. I also slow way down on my intake when I feel good.

What it boils down to is that if I had not been using tobacco wildly for the last 35 years, I'd be in a heck of a lot worse shape than I am now.
Amazing, right?
Plus I'm a mutant. Fear me.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
Scottw
Going Commando

Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The final word on "Ciagrs are good for me"

Thats crazy Scott, who knew that much nicotine was actually remedying your symptoms (to a degree). Not bad
Scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough

Sweet our one and only Mutant Scott Good to here they are finally figuring something out brother
Old 03-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Very interesting.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

That's very interesting. Have you tried Swedish snus?
Old 03-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Well that's interesting.

Oh and I can fix that title if you like Scott
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #7
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

I think everyone here who knows you at all always knew you were a mutant! To have science confirm this...... PRICELESS!

Best to you, brother!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #8
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The final word on "Cigars are good for me"

suhweet! I'm glad to know they are finally figuring out whats going on, and that you have a little more peace of mind.

As for snuffs and nicotine, I;d also suggest Toques Quit! snuff and McChrystal's S'Nuff (Aka Smokers Blend) for those with high nicotine. I haven't tried either of them, but I'm sure they are worth a shot. Stay healthy, Brother!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:47 AM   #9
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

One more step in the right direction Scott.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:49 AM   #10
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
Too much nicotine?
Old 03-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
Well that's interesting.

I knew you'd like it. You're vested in this stuff.
Dunno about fixing that. It's kinda infinately more interesting spelled wrong.
See, Hugh didn't even notice.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:07 AM   #12
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
That's very interesting. Have you tried Swedish snus?
Does a cat have an ass? lol
Yup, all of them. They don't have any oomph to them. I imagine some of the real Swiss stuff might, I've only tried the domestic stuff for girls.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:22 AM   #13
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Does a cat have an ass? lol
Yup, all of them. They don't have any oomph to them. I imagine some of the real Swiss stuff might, I've only tried the domestic stuff for girls.
Yeah, you should try the real Swiss snus. MUCH different than the domestic blends/brands. The uptake on the Snus is cleaner and would probably give you better results than snuff. Plus the added benefit of no spitting.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #14
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Glad to hear they are getting a better idea on what is going on Scott. Continued positive thoughts sent buddy.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:48 AM   #15
mariogolbee

"Plus I'm a mutant. Fear me."

I'm glad you found out what's going on. It seems like the nicotine fairy has had it's eye on you for some time now.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #16
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Great News, Scott! Maybe Cigars Are Good For All Of Us!
We're All Inmates Of "The Asylum", Right?
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:06 AM   #17
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Quote:
I knew you'd like it. You're vested in this stuff.
Dunno about fixing that. It's kinda infinately more interesting spelled wrong.
See, Hugh didn't even notice.
hehehe okay
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:13 AM   #18
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Welcome, we all have a lot to learn.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #19
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
This is a bit sciencey and wordy, so I'll summarize first.
They finally figured out what's wrong with me, almost. It's real close, and is one of 20 or 30 rare muscular related genetic missense mutations that are all much the same, with small differences. It's been narrowed down to 3, pretty much. We just have to mess around a bit to figure out exactly which it is, then test for it specifically. (That's just eight tubes of blood for more genetic testing.)
Nicotine plays a large part in fixing it. It's probably why I've been chewing snuff and tobacco since I was 8.

Here's the cool stuff...
My problem is that little channels that carry electrical signals to the muscles don't work right. They don't open and close correctly.
Then the wrong substances come from the cells, in the wrong amounts. Certain amounts of potassium or sodium should enter that channel, and those two things are what regulates the electrical current. I have a mutation that causes those two things to be all goofy.
The cool part is that those channels are called Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptors. The reason they are called that is because ingested nicotine will make them run like they should.
As my problems have progressed, I've naturally amped my nicotine intake to 2 cans of snuff a day, smoking lots of cigars, and now I've added sniffing snuff.
Odd part is, I've done it all mindlessly. I also slow way down on my intake when I feel good.

What it boils down to is that if I had not been using tobacco wildly for the last 35 years, I'd be in a heck of a lot worse shape than I am now.
Amazing, right?
Plus I'm a mutant. Fear me.
So what your saying is that your super power is the ability to take in tons of nicotine??!?! You sound like a villian to me...stay away from my humis! Be well brother..
Old 03-05-2010, 10:32 AM   #20
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
So what your saying is that your super power is the ability to take in tons of nicotine??!?! You sound like a villian to me...stay away from my humis! Be well brother..
Well there's that, and my incredible staying power.
Beats starting fires with my eyes, and I'm way more popular this way.