Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-14-2008, 03:29 PM   #1
csbrewfisher
Welcome to my nightmare

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (10)
LGC Navy (Served With Honor)
csbrewfisher will become famous soon enough
Default Puros

I had a good conversation with the rep for Arganese the other day. He asked me to take my pick of four blends that he had on hand. We talked a bit about each of them. I then asked if any of them were puros. I was really surprised by his answer, because I was under the impression that a puro was a cigar made of tobacco that was entirely grown in a single country. This gentleman told me that puros were cigars made completely of tobacco NATIVE to a country.

Is that your understanding? If true, then you would have to agree that very few cigars are puros, wouldn't you?
csbrewfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Puros

I'm not so sure about the reps definition. A Puros is a cigar whose wrapper, filler and binder is all grown in one country.
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
nozero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footbag View Post
I'm not so sure about the reps definition. A Puros is a cigar whose wrapper, filler and binder is all grown in one country.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/puro
Quote:
A cigar, especially one of which all the tobacco originates from the same country.
I would add that I've always heard it had to be rolled or manufactured in that country as well.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
csbrewfisher
Welcome to my nightmare

Nozero, the wiki definition you cite would lend credence to the rep's definition. If the tobacco has to "originate" in the country of manufacture, then the seed could not have come from elsewhere.

to originate (third-person singular simple present originates, present participle originating, simple past and past participle originated)

1. To give an origin or beginning to; to cause to be; to bring into existence; to produce as new.
2. To take first existence; to have origin or beginning; to begin to exist or act.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:05 PM   #5
Rockestone
Anythings Possible

First Name: Greg
Trading: (5)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Rockestone will become famous soon enoughRockestone will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbrewfisher View Post
Nozero, the wiki definition you cite would lend credence to the rep's definition. If the tobacco has to "originate" in the country of manufacture, then the seed could not have come from elsewhere.

to originate (third-person singular simple present originates, present participle originating, simple past and past participle originated)

1. To give an origin or beginning to; to cause to be; to bring into existence; to produce as new.
2. To take first existence; to have origin or beginning; to begin to exist or act.
Will there be a quiz?
Old 11-14-2008, 04:10 PM   #6
csbrewfisher
Welcome to my nightmare

Damn, I hope not! I'm just looking for the truth. Maybe I can't handle the truth!

Semper Fi
Old 11-14-2008, 04:33 PM   #7
ByrneBrew

Don't know if Rob was right or not I always thought it meant grown in the same not where the seed came from. Have no reference just what I thought I always knew.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

From Cigar Dictionary...
Quote:
Puro

Spanish for pure, the term refers to a cigar whose filler, bunder and wrapper are made from tobacco grown in the same country. All Cuban cigars are puros.
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:36 PM   #9
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:

That's my understanding too.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #10
parafumar

me too...
Old 11-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #11
BamBam
Just Pipin'

Trading: (37)
Montecristo
BamBam will become famous soon enoughBamBam will become famous soon enough

Same
BamBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:18 PM   #12
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Footbag's definition.
Tobacco is only native to one country, and iirc, it's Peru. It's been carried to all other parts of the world, including Cuba.
To say that a puro had to be made from native tobacco doesn't seem to make sense in that light, or the only puros would hail from Peru, and I don't even know that they produce cigars.
shilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:25 PM   #13
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I agree with Footbag's definition.
Tobacco is only native to one country, and iirc, it's Peru. It's been carried to all other parts of the world, including Cuba.
To say that a puro had to be made from native tobacco doesn't seem to make sense in that light, or the only puros would hail from Peru, and I don't even know that they produce cigars.
Scott, tobacco was being used in America when European settlers arrived as early as 1607. It may be native to Peru, but it is also native to America.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:17 PM   #14
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

I can tell you this for sure, however, I cannot find any supportive documentation at this time!!!

Puro is a Spanish word, and with respect to cigars, the original meaning of a puro cigar, was any cigar that was hand made, from pure long tobacco leaf, from any country.

In the 1950's or 60's, the meaning/definition began to change, and after a decade or two, the new definition became the rule of thumb, so to speak. That new definition was that a puro cigar, is a cigar that was hand made, in a specific country, with pure long tobacco leaf, that was grown within that specific country.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:39 PM   #15
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: Puros

At recent event here in the Metro Detroit area, I was able to speak with Dr. Alejandro Martinez Cuenca, Owner and Master Cigar Maker of Joya de Nicaragua. He talked about the fact his cigars were "puros", using all locally grown tobacco and made in his factory in Esteli.

BTW, all three of the Joya de Nicaragua blends are excellent!

Old 11-24-2008, 09:00 PM   #16
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbrewfisher View Post
I had a good conversation with the rep for Arganese the other day. He asked me to take my pick of four blends that he had on hand. We talked a bit about each of them. I then asked if any of them were puros. I was really surprised by his answer, because I was under the impression that a puro was a cigar made of tobacco that was entirely grown in a single country. This gentleman told me that puros were cigars made completely of tobacco NATIVE to a country.

Is that your understanding? If true, then you would have to agree that very few cigars are puros, wouldn't you?
Sure sounds like a "manufacturers" marketing perspective... ie... Cuban seed kind of logic. I think "our definition" is what counts and that is all grown in the same country. Gets blurred so much in todays NC market with all the "blending" going on.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #17
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
That is what I thought was the definition of a Puro.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:01 PM   #18
Vitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
... I think "our definition" is what counts ...
That sums it up for me. Puro means "pure", and I take that to mean all from one place. marketers can do their thing but it still comes down to what our definition is in the end.

~Vitis