Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-05-2010, 03:51 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Victor Sinclair triple corojo churchill

This 7 x 50 Churchill by Victor Sinclair is completely made out of Dominican corojo tobacco and has a strong hay & wood aroma. The cigar isn't straight, it's a bit crooked. The wrapper is spotted and has a big ft vein running over it. The only thing that looks good on this cigar is the nice gold & purple band around the foot. The cigar feels very hard but the predraw is fine and leaves me a raisin flavor on the palate.

I get a full hay flavor with my first few puffs and I also notice a bit of wood. The texture of the flavors is very dry. After a centimeter the flavors get a little musty and there isn't a lot going on. Musty hay, that's it.

Halfway the hay gets more grassy and spicier, but also harsh. At the end I can taste some leather, also spicy. After the ash broke off, I had to correct the burn

There is a lot of built up of nicotine, I had to purge the cigar a couple of times and each time I got a big ass flame.

The smoke is poor and the draw is just a bit too hard, I had to use a poker to make it better. The ash is dark but firm. This full bodied mild to medium flavored cigar becomes boring very quickly and because it is a churchill, the boredom takes forever. If it wasn't for a review I would have tossed this cigar pretty quickly.

Would I buy this cigar again? Simple answer: NO!

Appearance: 4 / 10
Construction: 6 / 10
Draw: 6 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 6 / 10
Aroma first part: 6 / 10
Aroma second part: 6 / 10
Aroma third part: 6 / 10
Aroma third part: 6 / 10
Old 02-05-2010, 03:54 AM   #2
Mr.Erskine
Looking up

First Name: Benjamin
Trading: (1)
Mr.Erskine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Victor Sinclair triple corojo churchill

I like the torpedo version of this cigar, and I'm not the biggest churchill fan. That said, I'm surprised that this cigar didn't do better for you. Thanks for the review!
Old 02-05-2010, 05:53 AM   #3
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Nice review. I haven't tried the Churchill, but I really like these in robusto, especially with a little rest.
Just one question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
I had to purge the cigar a couple of times and each time I got a big ass flame.
Ass flame? How exactly do you purge your cigars?
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:46 AM   #4
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Ass flame? How exactly do you purge your cigars?
Old 02-05-2010, 07:54 AM   #5
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I had one of these last week and thought it was ok. Nice review.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
eber
Have My Own Room

First Name: Erik
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
eber will become famous soon enough

I was thinking about grabbing a box of these for daily smokes because of their price point but this review may have me reconsidering, thanks for the review
eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

I think your ratings were a bit generous. This cigar barely merits 40/100. I've only had one but that was more than enough to convince me I didnt need to have a second. Boring and one dimensional, mind numbing.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review Ferdie. I have never had a VS cigar that was really good.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
ChicagoWhiteSox

Thanks for the review
Old 02-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #10
acruce
Just killing Time

First Name: Andy
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
acruce is on a distinguished road

Not a big fan of the VS line . In my opinion you can find better smokes in same price range. Nice review though.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:21 AM   #11
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review Ferdie.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:32 AM   #12
Aldebaran

I was always hearing about VS Triple Corojo being the only good one of their many lines but I always figured it was better than terrible at best. I smoked one and I agree with bobarian the rating was a bit generous consider I thought of the cigar much like you did in the review
Old 02-09-2010, 10:37 AM   #13
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough

Still haven't had any Victor Sinclairs; anyone know of a mild VS they'd recommend?
Old 02-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #14
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjmichael View Post
Still haven't had any Victor Sinclairs; anyone know of a mild VS they'd recommend?
Not the best smokes in the world at all, but if you want a mild VS, I would try the Connecticut Yankee or the Vintage Select. I'm not a big fan of either, but I would smoke these over Gurkhas and Puros Indios.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #15
OHRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
Not the best smokes in the world at all, but if you want a mild VS, I would try the Connecticut Yankee or the Vintage Select. I'm not a big fan of either, but I would smoke these over Gurkhas and Puros Indios.
Cool, I'll look for these, though not in a big hurry, as you said.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #16
OHRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
Vintage Select are on sale today, but who wants to smoke that giant? http://www.joecigar.com/index.asp
Old 02-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #17
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldebaran View Post
I was always hearing about VS Triple Corojo being the only good one of their many lines but I always figured it was better than terrible at best. I smoked one and I agree with bobarian the rating was a bit generous consider I thought of the cigar much like you did in the review
I disagree with the whole "generous" remarks (ofcourse). The flavors aren't bad enough to flunk the cigars, and anything below a 6 is flunking. But a 6 also isn't high enough to make it a good cigar that I recommend or want to smoke again.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #18
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Smoked one of these not too long ago as I received a few Victor Sinclairs in different blends through a contest and it was one of the worst smokes I ever had. No, I think it was the worst smoke I ever had. Put off smoking them as long as I could as most reviews have been horrible but I figured I would try one and see for myself. I hated it. Even the aroma it gave off was acidic. I made it about a 1/4 of the way in before I pitched it because I couldn't take it any more as my smoking opportunities are far and few in the winter and didn't want to waste the opportunity on a stick I wasn't enjoying. I still have a few and thought about sending them along in a package to the troops but would almost feel guilty sending them to someone who is fighting for our country.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #19
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
I still have a few and thought about sending them along in a package to the troops but would almost feel guilty sending them to someone who is fighting for our country.
send them to the taliban
Old 02-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #20
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
send them to the taliban

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote