Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough
Default Recommendations for Ipad

I am very seriously considering buying a new Ipad and wanted to see if anyone had recommendations on models, memory, etc. I'm leaning towards the top and thinking about getting a generation 3 with the 64GB memory. Since I have an Iphone already, I'm only looking at getting the Ipad with wireless and not the 4g series. I'm assuming that's the only reason you would need anything other than wireless, is if you wanted to use the cellular data option. I don't think I need that, but really not 100% sure.

I want one as I am starting to travel quite a bit more and would like to have it for that, especially international travel/long flights, etc. Also, our home laptop is getting old and will need to be retired in the not to distant future. Since I want to be able to watch movies on it, I am leaning towards the 64GB.

I just wanted to solicit feedback, because I suffer from the "more is better" syndrome and don't really want to waste my money. I have researched it some, but wanted some objective thoughts here if anyone can share.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Recommendations for Ipad

When you say generation 3 Ipad, do you mean the "New Ipad" that came out a few months ago, or the one just announced last week? If it's the one announced last week, it'll have the new Lightning connector, just like the Iphone 5. Extra ables/connectors are still scarce for the Lightning connector.

I have the Ipad 2, 64gig, wifi only model. I love it. Like you, I take mine when I travel. I can fit a load of music/movies on it, plus have books, magazines, games, etc on it to pass the time. Generally too, you'll be in most areas that have wifi, so you shouldn't need cell data. There's only been a couple places where I couldn't get a decent wifi signal. I just didn't use the Ipad.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Malakai
The Anti-Dennis

First Name: John
Trading: (34)
RA
Malakai will become famous soon enoughMalakai will become famous soon enough

64Gig -- Bought 2 I Phone 4S 32Gig in Decemeber and they are near capacity with music, movies and other items on them. My 64Gig I-Pad still has tons of room even when everything I can load on it is there. So I would say get larger capacity so you don't have to worry about it and start having to manually remove movies, music or apps to add new ones.
Malakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I have the iPad 3 (a few months old), 64GB with the celluar option. The reason I got the cellular option is that free WiFi is not as ubiquitous as you might think. There are a lot of places I go where my only option is cellular. Also, I use AT&T and they charge for tethering and the cellular on the iPad is cheaper in the long run than AT&T's tethering plan...

If you are sure about the availabillty of WiFi when (where) you travel then go ahead with the WiFi only model -- it will save you money. Otherwise, if you can afford the data plan then go for the cellular.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
When you say generation 3 Ipad, do you mean the "New Ipad" that came out a few months ago, or the one just announced last week? If it's the one announced last week, it'll have the new Lightning connector, just like the Iphone 5. Extra ables/connectors are still scarce for the Lightning connector.

I have the Ipad 2, 64gig, wifi only model. I love it. Like you, I take mine when I travel. I can fit a load of music/movies on it, plus have books, magazines, games, etc on it to pass the time. Generally too, you'll be in most areas that have wifi, so you shouldn't need cell data. There's only been a couple places where I couldn't get a decent wifi signal. I just didn't use the Ipad.
Yes, the new Ipad with Retina Display and the increased high definition capability. Not the Ipad mini that was just announced.

Thanks to all for the advice. Greatly appreciated and I believe I'm now a definite on the 64GB.

Steve
Old 11-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
Steelerfanatic
Still Watching My Back

RA Navy (Served With Honor)
Steelerfanatic is on a distinguished road

You can get a certified refurbished IPad 3 from apple for a significant savings right now. Worth a look at if your interested. Not much difference at all between the 3 and the new one.
Steelerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post

If you are sure about the availabillty of WiFi when (where) you travel then go ahead with the WiFi only model -- it will save you money. Otherwise, if you can afford the data plan then go for the cellular.
That is a good point. The hotel I was recently at in Mexico City charged for their Internet. $10/day. But down there it would've been cheaper than cell data. If your not travelling outside the states, you may not need cell service.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #8
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann

Thanks again everyone for the advice. I did end up buying the new Ipad with 64GB and so far I love it. I have played with it this weekend and it is awesome and I haven't even touched it's potential. I didn't get a protective case for it yet, so if anyone has any recommendations on that, I'd appreciate it too. Thanks again. Steve
Old 11-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

I like the Targus Versa View case (http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Versavu...gus+ipad+3case). It protects your iPad but also allows both portrait and landcape viewing.

The only catch is that it is a little bulky.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #10
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

All depends on how much protection you need.
My original iPad has an Otterbox case. It gets used mostly by my 4-year old. She was 2 when we got it and it wouldn't have survived without the case.
My iPad 2 has a smart cover and a thin cover on the back to protect from scratches. I have an Otterbox case for it too, but it was too bulky for me. It is used my me and my 10-year old. We both prefer the thinner feel.

I've considered buying the Lifeproof case for it so I can take it into the pool. My wife just rolls her eyes when I tell her that.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #11
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

You can always use your iPhone as a "hot spot" and set up your own wifi if a free one isn't available. Especially if you have an unlimited data plan. The new iOS6 even had the "hot spot" in it's setting menu for ease of use. And according to an IT guy (husband of my wife's coworker), Apple just lost a lawsuit brought by the Feds, and can no longer charge you or stop you from using your cell for a hot spot. Best have your phone plugged in, though. I understand this is a battery drain.

Also, you need Bluetooth Off, Wifi on on the iPhone. The activate hot spot. But you have to keep your iPhone on the hotspot screen, or the connection shuts down (a bug that might get fixed by Apple?)

Last edited by SvilleKid; 11-05-2012 at 08:56 AM.
SvilleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #12
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann

Thanks again all; I have an Otterbox cover for my phone and didn't even think of that for the Ipad. But, I'll check and look at all the recommendations. As far as the hot spot from my phone, I never thought of that. I don't have that option with my iphone today as I didn't think I needed it when I signed up. But, I'll look into it too. Thanks everyone. Steve
Old 11-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

If you have AT&T the hotspot option costs more than the data plan for the iPad... You can get around that by jailbreaking your phone if you are up for that.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #14
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

If you have unlimited data with AT&T and use the Hotspot from your phone you will lose the unlimited data and go to one of the tiered options.
I stick to wifi. The last hotel I stayed at wanted $10/day. I went to the Starbucks across the street instead to upload some photos I had taken. The $5 coffee was still cheaper.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #15
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

We went with the $20/month data plan for our iPads. We use WiFi where we can but it's nice to have the cellular as a backup.

For us it's cheaper than paying for WiFi anywhere...

Old 11-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #16
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Got the Griffin Survivor and it rocks! It's certified by the armed forces. There's a hard shell on the inside of a super-protective silicon shell, plus a waterproof screen protector. With a 7 and 9 year old, this thing has long paid for itself. Search around for a deal.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #17
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann

Thanks; I will look at the Griffin Survivor. Steve
Old 11-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #18
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
If you have AT&T the hotspot option costs more than the data plan for the iPad... You can get around that by jailbreaking your phone if you are up for that.
From what I was told this past weekend, ATT can no longer charge for the hot spot use, nor can they modify your plan. Something about the bandwidth being used was the government's, not ATT. This was from a IT guy that should have known, but I haven't seen anything on it from independent sources.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #19
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
From what I was told this past weekend, ATT can no longer charge for the hot spot use, nor can they modify your plan. Something about the bandwidth being used was the government's, not ATT. This was from a IT guy that should have known, but I haven't seen anything on it from independent sources.
I hope that is true, but according to their website it is still an additional charge.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #20
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
I hope that is true, but according to their website it is still an additional charge.
I actually have the IT guy's number. I'll give him a call tomorrow and see if I can get any specifics. I'd like to know for sure also, because my wife is also considering a WiFi tablet of some type!