Old 09-10-2012, 06:20 AM   #1
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

First Name: Jason
Trading: (24)
Partagas
deadrise has a spectacular aura aboutdeadrise has a spectacular aura about
Default My new smoker!!!

OK so I seamed to have taken the same approach to smokers as i have with owning a truck by buying 3-4 crappy ones till i get one that is decent.
at any rate I got 3 smokers that just plain suck the last (and free) was a good old offset fire box barrel that is so hard to keep temps in this story is right on.
So I been looking and looking I liked the idea of the pellet smokers but 600-2000 was not happening then I found this smoker and it seams to fill all i want in a smoker
it is sealed insulated easy to keep a stable temp easy to load wood chips in with out loosing temp.
anyone use a electric smoker have any advice? I am getting the Masterbuilt 20070910 30-Inch Electric Smokehouse Smoker 189.00 with free shipping
the price is right I just hope the meat is too
Old 09-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
qwerty1500
Good thing I'm normal

Trading: (0)
HUpmann
qwerty1500 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: My new smoker!!!

Sweet. Let us know how you like it.

We do smoked meat all the time. I keep looking at smokers. But, I've had such amazing results just using indirect heat and wood chips in the Weber kettle that I can't see the reason to change.
qwerty1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Seems like more research might be a good idea,buying three for one sounds expensive.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Weber Smokey Mountain?
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

Partagas

actually buying is a strong word for it.... most of them have been used the offset was free (rusted) the gas one i got was used 50 bucks nice burger grill but thats about it and the 3rd is this leaky p.o.s.
the gas one was neat in theory but the indirect flame means it smokes by grease dropping onto a pan and producing smoke
and is great for hamburgers because there grey and you get no flare ups it turns chicken and pork grey and is just nasty.
so yea i been doing my homework and i really want a pellet smoker but not at those prices I know for what i am getting everyone says gas is better
but not set it and for get it bottom line if i can get a good smoke flavor and 190 deg on a butt i will be happy with loading wood chips every so often in this unit
Old 09-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Yep..I went through a few of those Brinkmans. Cut my smoking teeth on them. I encourage folks to use that POS first since it forces you to think about fuel/air ratio and temperature control. I have some friends with Traegers that do a decent job. However, they would struggle cooking hamburgers over charcoal.

I then went to a Weber Smokey Moutain. Same concept but 1000% better. I did my first overnight cooks with the WSM.

Then....got off the ass pocket and bought a Big Green Egg in 2009. Have not looked back.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

What no pics??
Old 09-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #8
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

Partagas

has not shipped yet but here is some

more pics

and if it don't work out I can always turn it into a humidor
Old 09-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Let me know when you do a brisket Jason. You gonna make it down for Hughs (Hotreds) Herf this Wednesday?
Old 09-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

Partagas

I am going to try and make it looks good so far
Old 09-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #11
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I only can tell you what you already likely know from Amazon. A good unit until it breaks.
When I see the total of 1-4 star reviews is equal to the amount of 5 star reviews, I tend
to think the unit is sketchy. They talk about wiring a lot, never good. I like Qwerty's
statment, and it's true for me. Until I stop having good, predictable results from indirect
smoking and wood chunks in a standard grill, I might go looking for something else.
But for now, its super-versatile and I am getting all the great meat I can eat. I think I paid
under $120 for my Char-Griller. But the most important thing is the product that you eat
in this case, so best of luck with your new unit.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #12
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

My friend has that Masterbuilt and swears by it. I have not tried food from it, but it will give you BBQ on time without hassle. Will it taste like put wood/charcoal cooked BBQ? I don't know and don't think so, but it will give you just about all you'll want from a smoker.

I have owned the Smokin' Pro and WSM. The horizontal off set smoker I found better for log cooking which I prefer to charcoal for roasts and whole yardbirds.

The WSM is better at maintaining a constant temperature and easier to deal with.

Smokin' Pro is better for grilling and easier to clean.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #13
lilninjabuddy
Cigar Ninja

First Name: Derek
Trading: (2)
Montecristo
lilninjabuddy is on a distinguished road

Smoking is just so far beyond what I'm capable of.

I can barely handle a little Webber with some charcoal.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #14
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Grilling and sex are both pursuits where the practice to get great is almost as fun as being great.
You should practice every other weekend or so. There are people in the smoker thread that can
take a "little weber" and knock your taste buds into next week. Work on it lilninja...

I would like to qualify my Amazern comment a bit...I have bought things I wanted even when
a LOT of people, a majority, bash something. I know what I want and I know my price and
I often know when a perceived flaw is operator error, a pretty common deal in today's consumer
market. So if you find the grill you want and don't get a lot of guff about it, buy it and enjoy it.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #15
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty1500 View Post
Sweet. Let us know how you like it.

We do smoked meat all the time. I keep looking at smokers. But, I've had such amazing results just using indirect heat and wood chips in the Weber kettle that I can't see the reason to change.
My Weber Performer off craigs list has been awesome for this too. Pork butts, ribs, brisket, wings, whatever ... I'd like to get a Weber Smokey Mountain just for the extra space, but I'm cheap.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #16
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

Jason, good luck with the new smoker. I've got an electric smoker. It's a Cookshack and I love it. The best advice I have for you is to follow directions especially about how much wood to use. Because of the tight seal on electrics you don't have to use much wood. Wood is the flavor not the heat. Happy Smoking!
Old 09-12-2012, 05:28 AM   #17
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

Partagas

thanks for the info everyone I am excited to get this going.......amazon still has not shipped it yet but says it could get here 13-18
butt roast was on sale last week so i already got 3 roast ready to go that are good till the 27th
all I need now is a brisket and the smoker
Old 09-12-2012, 06:48 AM   #18
OLS
Suck It

As you will soon see, the most important part of any meat smoker is the FREEZER.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:07 AM   #19
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

Partagas

well it came in the other day and i did the break in cycle for 3 hours and today I started off simple just 6 boneless skinless chicken breast.
and made all kinds of rookie mistakes
.1 too hot i cooked them at 225 and well they was done (180deg) in 50 min.
.2 i put about a cup of apple wood chips in there and was a little to much smoke.
.3 back da hell up when you open the door as you will get blasted with heat and smoke.
all in all they where great since they was a little more smokey then i had though i cut them up and cooked them in a Alfredo sauce
and had it over angel hair pasta it worked out great and not over powering at all on the smoke taste.
doing da butt Saturday I will update
and it was well worth the 13 bucks for a wireless temp sensor if not for that I would have really smoked them bastards

Old 09-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #20
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

Partagas

butt roast is doing good 6 hours in it is at 174 deg looked at it once and the fat was blackening up looking very nice
maybe 2 hours it will get to 190 we will see smoking more cigars and drinking more wine till then