Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2011, 08:05 AM   #1401
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Photography Thread

Spoiled brat
Old 05-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #1402
tx_tuff

Some I took this weekend.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:20 AM   #1403
tx_tuff

A couple more.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #1404
tx_tuff

In downtown Houston Sunday

City Hall

Old 05-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #1405
simplechords

Photography is my favorite hobby. Here are some of mine.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #1406
ambientboy
...from the internet

First Name: Dan
Trading: (0)
RA
ambientboy is on a distinguished road

From this week's work. Softbox Solo 101.
ambientboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:46 PM   #1407
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
Nice detailed photo Frank

Old 06-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #1408
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I picked up a used Canon SX1 IS yesterday from B&H and they say it is going to be here tomorrow, which would be just in time
to learn something of it over the long weekend. Always used a pocket rocket, I am not very demanding. But this one is going
to be an interesting bridge camera. Sensor is still not working too hard at 10 MP, I would really prefer 8 to tell the truth with
these small sensors, but 10 is my absolute limit, and not that attractive to me after all. I would have gone much cheaper,
but as I am in the TV business, the 1080p video was a deal-maker. While it can't replace a true video camera, it can't freaking
hurt, lol. Can't beat the 20x zoom either. So it is time to start playing around in this thread.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:08 PM   #1409
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

First Name: Joe
Trading: (5)
J0eybb will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientboy View Post

From this week's work. Softbox Solo 101.
I don't like panty lines....

just looking for an excuse to repost this pic.

J0eybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #1410
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

A few shots with the new camera. Too hot out to really get all that creative, for now just getting
used to the settings and playing with the controls. Again, this is a refurbished Canon SX1 IS.
I like it alot so far.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #1411
Tyler

With a little work you could turn out some amazing photos. It seems like everyone and their mom is a amateur photographer now though. In my neighborhood Nikon DSLRs have completely replaced point and shoot cameras. It's funny to see moms with like 5 kids balancing all of their crap for a day with a DSLR strapped on her shoulder.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:13 PM   #1412
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbright View Post
With a little work you could turn out some amazing photos. It seems like everyone and their mom is a amateur photographer now though. In my neighborhood Nikon DSLRs have completely replaced point and shoot cameras. It's funny to see moms with like 5 kids balancing all of their crap for a day with a DSLR strapped on her shoulder.

Love my Nikon D90
Old 07-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #1413
OLS
Suck It

My bad, could someone link me to the amateur Photographer's thread?

Last edited by OLS; 07-05-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #1414
Tyler

Your in the right place. I wasn't saying you were a amateur or bad or anything I was just stating how its funny that Digital SLR cameras have replaced the point and shoot around here and the fact that everyone takes pictures now. When I first started taking pictures I had a Nikon SLR and I only knew of a few people who were into photography. It was different back then as you had to wait to get your film developed before you could see if you took good pictures. It took alot more skill because if you were a amateur you couldn't just make small tweeks till you got what you were looking. I am glad that everyone is into photography as it is one of my favorite hobbies it just reminds me though that I probably won't ever get to sell my photography as alot of people are shooting their own pictures to hang in their houses. Atleast they are around here. I still consider myself an amateur though so it is not like I had that much of a chance to begin with lol.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #1415
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

DSC_1794 by thestemens16, on Flickr
Old 07-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #1416
OLS
Suck It

EMO, gotta love that St. Augustine Grass.....

Tyler, I was just poking you with a stick, lol.

I agree that modernization is career genocide these days. I have been taking 35mm shots since 1978 when my
dad gave me a "Sears" Mamiya Sekor in High School, but I was never that good at it because the actual camera
body was a Salvation Army pickup, a little worn out, too messed up to trade in for somebody. All the lenses and
stuff I could throw at it never really got the right results. I slowly just became a camera perv, worrying more about
taking pix of chix than composing art. But I could time a cheerleader's high kick like an ace.

I never took the next step and picked up a good body, I got into the USAF and lost the bug. Still kept shooting women
though. But as a career, I have been using video cameras for 25 years and for fun using my trusty Canon Powershot A200
for my "glamour photog" business, read "getting girls in clubs to believe I could take great nudes for them and produce a CD
of the images and never show them around. Which I held to basically, even to this day. I picked up this camera because the A200
is a great little instamatic, but B&H had a nice SX1 IS refurb that I just decided I wanted, and not for nothing, because this megapixel
war is not doing ANYBODY any favors. I figured I needed to get one while the getting was good. They keep stacking pixels on the
same size sensor and it's gonna bite the whole segment in the a55. But never worry, if your pictures are good enough, you can sell them.
That's how I got my current job, I made a commercial and tried to sell it to my current boss, and rather than buy the spot,
he bought ME.

------edit---------

As for "around here", don't take it as total career genocide, becuase people here do the same thing all the time. I call it
the yuppie circus, although I don't mean to be insulting to ANYONE. The get into roasting their own beans, owning
suicidal looking razors to shave with, they collect wine, port, cigars, pipes, pipe tobacco, all in bulk and all in on everything...
And then 80% of them drop it like a bad habit. SO yeah, this is a tough place to sell photos, lol.

My Old camera Elph Powershot sd200...state of the art in 2004, lol. Still works though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canon_powershot_sd200_digital_elph.jpg (6.0 KB, 212 views)

Last edited by OLS; 07-05-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #1417
OLS
Suck It

This is twice that I have bashed the people who get into everything, coffee, wet shaving, pipes, etc.
I need to apologize early to them, again, I do not mean to insult, but I do anyway. I have never been a
rich man, and I can't do most of the things a lot of our members do, I am interesting in doing just enough to
feel like a king without selling my throne. Everyone is welcome to their diversions and hobbies and luxuries.
Don't mind me, haha. As for the term yuppie circus, I made it up right then, although I do categorize this
type of activity as "yuppie" something or other. I just haven't come up with a good, patentable name for it
yet. I do not consider people with yuppie interestes to be yuppies, per se. But I'll be danged if you ain't
Young Urban Professionals, dammit.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #1418
ambientboy
...from the internet

First Name: Dan
Trading: (0)
RA
ambientboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbright View Post
Your in the right place. I wasn't saying you were a amateur or bad or anything I was just stating how its funny that Digital SLR cameras have replaced the point and shoot around here and the fact that everyone takes pictures now. When I first started taking pictures I had a Nikon SLR and I only knew of a few people who were into photography. It was different back then as you had to wait to get your film developed before you could see if you took good pictures. It took alot more skill because if you were a amateur you couldn't just make small tweeks till you got what you were looking. I am glad that everyone is into photography as it is one of my favorite hobbies it just reminds me though that I probably won't ever get to sell my photography as alot of people are shooting their own pictures to hang in their houses. Atleast they are around here. I still consider myself an amateur though so it is not like I had that much of a chance to begin with lol.
Link link! We wanna see your stuff.
ambientboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #1419
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
DSC_1794 by thestemens16, on Flickr
Nice Dragonfly shot Justin Here's a shot of downtown Los Angeles from last week looking somewhat North:

...and,
looking south along S/89 towards the Flagstaff area:

Old 07-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #1420
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

i love the last one Mark. Maybe i can get out your way one day. I have an uncle in Cali