Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-09-2010, 04:57 AM   #1
Emilio Cigaros

Default Oliva Serie G Double Robusto

Well, here's my first review which is understandable for the people who don't understand the Dutch language:

Recently Ferdinand reviewed the Serie G robusto by Oliva and I said in my opinion the double robusto version is better cigar. Because this was already my last G double robusto again, last night I decided to review this cigar.

This Serie G double robusto is, as distinct from the robusto, not box pressed. When I give the cigar al gender massage, I feel the cigar is very well constructed. The wrapper has got a few small veins. The color of the wrapper looks a bit like moist wood. The first part of the cigar is darker than the rest of the cigar. It feels very oily too. The rest of the cigar feels smooth but not oily. The cigar doesn't smell practically of something, although there is a subtle smell of cedar. The predraw is flavorless. Let's fire it up…

It takes a while before the cigar is giving any flavor in my mouth. The aroma of coffee on the other hand is there from the start. What I notice is that the draw is a bit tight. I also get a relatively little amount of smoke in my mouth. After a couple of minutes the flavors are getting started. It begins with the flavor of coffee, which is gonna dominate the whole cigar. About the middle the first part there comes the flavor of cedar and cacao as support to the coffee. The flavors stay very subtle though. This also counts for the coffee, which is not a strong coffee, but a smooth one. The burn of the cigar is excellent. It burns as straight as hell. The ash is very stiff. It can become about 5 to 6 centimeter without falling off to your pants.

In the second part I get a little more smoke in my mouth, but it stays very little. There are a few flavors which gonna join the party. First, there comes a creamy taste in my mouth. About the middle of the second part there comes the taste of leather which gonna dominate next to the coffee flavor. After a while the cedar and cacao disappear.

In the third part the leather slowly disappears. The coffee now get for a few minutes support of a flavor of raisin and mint. This stays until the last 3 to 4 centimeter of the cigar. Then it get's the taste of very spicy sambal. I decide to lay the cigar to rest in the ashtray.

To conclude
This cigar was very gratifying. The cigar also was pretty subtle flavored. I would call this cigar light to medium bodied an medium flavored. Would I buy it a next time? Hell Yeah! This is a permanent occupant of my humidor.

Looks: 8/10
Construction: 9/10
Aroma: 9/10
Smoke: 6/10
Flavor 1st part: 8/10
Flavor 2nd part: 9/10
Flavor 3rd part: 7/10
Old 10-09-2010, 05:38 AM   #2
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Re: Oliva Serie G Double Robusto

Very Nice Review! Your Favorite Oliva?
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:44 AM   #3
Emilio Cigaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Your Favorite Oliva?
Nope, that is the V double robusto.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:17 AM   #4
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough

Nice review, I haven't cared for the natural Oliva's I have tried. I do like the Serie O Maduros and have a fiver of Series G Robusto Maduro's resting that I hope will be a decent short smoke for the winter.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:25 AM   #5
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

Love this cigar. Good & Cheap. nice review!