Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #21
FreakShow
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
FreakShow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gurkha Holy Grail....

The great thing about liking a stick that most hate is they can usually be found on cbid for next to nothing. As far as the holy grail I've only seen that particular blend at Thompson. I'm definitely not a fan of Gurkha but like many have said smoke what you like. I was curious about the cellar reserve but not curious enough to try to track any down.
FreakShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #22
whodeeni

I met a Gurkha Executive last month. They changed their
business strategy of private labeling blends from various
factories, purchasing in huge quantities, and started blending
their own stuff, and cut their manufacturers down to 4.

What you see coming out in 2012 is the new improved Gurkha.
Will Khaizad keep selling the CI bs? That remains to be seen.
They have one blend in particular that I would almost give one
of my nuts to smoke all the time, but unfortunately i didn't know
what i had, and didn't stock up thinking they would be on cbid all
the time.

Its pretty much with anything find something you like at a good price,
stock up on it and enjoy them. Regardless of what everyone else thinks.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:09 AM   #23
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

yeah i figured as much.... smoke what you like and like what you smoke. their are only a couple of gurkha's i like, holy grail, 125th anniv, hell even the grand reserve aint that bad but some of the others i can do with out. i like them when i want a cheap mild smoke.

as far as holy grail found out its a thompson exclusive and thats just bs hahaha oh well i guess i will just do without because i don think they are worth the $7.50 ($149.00 for 20 cigars) i dont care how they come packaged
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #24
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_jaygee View Post
Do I think Gurkha are the best out there? Of course not. Do i think they are better then PAN/PAM or RyJ or Tatuaje Not really. Yes I personally think their marketing is outrageous and cigar names are outside the box to put it mildly. Speaking of mild.... most of their cigars are mild even for my taste but I usually smoke a medium to full cigar and I don't mind the miles every once in a while.

Will any of the above mentioned stop me from trying their 125th or Grand Reserve? Not today. Thanks for yalls thoughts on the matter, I just wanted to see what was so bad about them that most people had such a severe dislike for them.
OK, I'll play.

I was gifted a Regent toro and a Centurion perfecto when they first came out. They were incredibly good. I immediately picked up a couple of 5ers of each. These too were also very good. About two years later I decided to pick up another 5er of each - these were unrecognizable as the same cigar. The flavors were entirely different from those that were found in the previous sticks.

One day I found a Centurion buried in a box deep in the cooler, one of the earlier versions. One a lark a buddy and I lit them up side by side and compared them. Other than the shape, the two cigars tasted like they were from different planets, you could in no way consider they were supposed to be the same cigar.

The original had some spice, sweetness, nuttiness, and leather, medium to full-bodied. The new version was mild and had little to know flavor, I seemed to taste corrugated box.

I couldn't compare the Regents, as I didn't have one of the old ones left, but form my memory of the first ones, side by side taste test would have yielded similar results as with the Centurions - the two generations completely different.

If I had smoked the second generation of either of these cigars first, I know I would never have purchased any more of them.

It these type results are experienced by those who smoke other Gurkha cigar lines, that might explain some of the hatred of them.

That is just one guys understanding and explanation.

Of course, those first few cigars in those lines were amazing, I should have stocked up on them.

Peace of The Lord be with you.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #25
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

The Rev is wise. I used to really enjoy the Gurkha Fuerte line. I bought a number of fivers of them. At one point they were my go to cigar. I backed off of smoking for a couple of years and when I got back into it. I picked up a couple of fivers of what I thought was the same blend. Not even close. The difference was unreal. The more recent blend was unlike anything I had ever smoked. Horrible.
That's why until I see proof to the contrary, I will not smoke any other of them.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:48 AM   #26
INT
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (0)
INT will become famous soon enough

The new Gurkha ghost is pretty damn good. If you're a fan on undercrowns you should like it. Very similar profile. Tons of smoke like the ligas too.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #27
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by INT View Post
The new Gurkha ghost is pretty damn good. If you're a fan on undercrowns you should like it. Very similar profile. Tons of smoke like the ligas too.
i like some gurkhas and have heard a few folks say they are pretty good i think i might go pick a couple of them up
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote