Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 02-14-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
jkstewart1
Time to change the Avatar

First Name: John
Trading: (7)
jkstewart1 is on a distinguished road
Default savinelli roley

Anybody have any experience with a Savinelli Roley pocket pipe? Just got one in an estate pipe lot off of e-flay. Some other interesting pipes in the package as well, but I wanted to know if anyone had any tips, pointers, etc. on use, loading, etc with this little Savinelli?

Thanks in advance!
jkstewart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:29 AM   #2
FunkyD

Default Re: savinelli roley

It looks kinda goofy, but yeah I can see why they call it a pocket pipe.

Does it feel weird clenched in the teeth? Is it heavy?
Old 02-15-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

It's made so that the stem will swing around to be more compact to fit into your pocket. I've never smoked one, but with the full bend like I can't only imagine how much it will gurgle.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

They were good for all the wrong reasons 40-years ago.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

I know someone who bought one.

Fairly light to clench. The weird oval shaped bowl leads to uneven burning.

It seems to me like this is more of a "man-on-the-move" pipe. Something you smoke when you can't sit down and relax...
Old 02-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
jkstewart1

I was asking because it looks like the draft hole come straight from the bottom of the bowl and then the smoke goes through a slit in tennon, makes a 90 degree bend and up through the curve of the stem. I guess I'll just have to try it and see how it smokes. Thought it might be good for traveling. Might be better to relist it and see what I get.

Mr. Moo can you elaborate on this? "They were good for all the wrong reasons 40-years ago." Thanks!
Old 02-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstewart1 View Post
I was asking because it looks like the draft hole come straight from the bottom of the bowl and then the smoke goes through a slit in tennon, makes a 90 degree bend and up through the curve of the stem. I guess I'll just have to try it and see how it smokes. Thought it might be good for traveling. Might be better to relist it and see what I get.

Mr. Moo can you elaborate on this? "They were good for all the wrong reasons 40-years ago." Thanks!
How much did you buy it for?

It seems like that slit and 90* angle is a good place for moisture to build up.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

As emjaysmash mentioned, "good for someone on the move." I would amend that to include, "...and has no other practical alternative."

I was once aware of people on the move. these people had serious space limitations. Many of these people were, incidentally, smoking non-tobacco substances. Among those people, and for those cirsumstances, vestpocket pipes were quite popular in the 60's and 70's. They were also quite cheap and painless to pitch in the event ones load suddenly became too heavy or in the event even a small bulge in ones vestpocket was, for some reason, not desirable.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #9
jkstewart1

I got a "lot" of 10-12 (I can't think of exactly how many at this moment) pipes for $41. Included are a Savinelli Roley, The Doodler (pre-National Pipe Co. days), a Ropp cherrywood, a L&H Stern, some others, and a couple of pipes without stems. I'm still working on exactly what is what. I bought it mostly for the Doodler and the Ropp, but I honestly figured I would be outbid, but wasn't. I want to try and restore some of them. Two have cracked shanks that I'd have to learn how to band them or send them off, but I don't know that it would be worth the cost. I'm excited about learning some new skills and putting some pipes back into action.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Well, if you end up not enjoying the roley and wanna trade for some cigars, let me know
Old 02-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #11
jkstewart1

Would you trade for pipe tobacco? I'm still trying to try a bunch of different things.

Mr. Moo - thanks for the enlightenment. In my college days.... well, not to belabor the point, but I could see where they would be desirable for that - although that is definitely not my purpose for owning one anymore.

I've been trying to think of a situation where I would be that a pipe that small would be desirable or even practical - more so than a regular pipe which is already pretty small if you are not particularly pressed for space.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #12
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstewart1 View Post
Would you trade for pipe tobacco? I'm still trying to try a bunch of different things.

Mr. Moo - thanks for the enlightenment. In my college days.... well, not to belabor the point, but I could see where they would be desirable for that - although that is definitely not my purpose for owning one anymore.

I've been trying to think of a situation where I would be that a pipe that small would be desirable or even practical - more so than a regular pipe which is already pretty small if you are not particularly pressed for space.
Yes, although a majority of my tobacco is back home at the moment (I'm stuck at school)