Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 08-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default Berger & Argenti Entubar Quad Maduro (New Cigar)

Size: 4 5/8×48, Corona Macho (box-pressed)

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Sun Grown Maduro

Binder: Nicaraguan

Filler: Nicaraguan & Dominican

Strength: Full

Price: $9.99

Grade: 9.2

First off, be sure to check out our current contest – where we are giving away a box of Berger & Argenti’s new cigar, MOOCH, a 6 pack of the Enutbar, and a three pack of the Clasico. Details are found here.

Even though we’ve previously reviewed the Clasico, Exile, and the regular Entubar line, we’ve yet to provide information on Berger & Argenti Premium Cigars. They got their start in 2009, when Mike and Al Argenti teamed up with Enrique (Don Kiki) Berger, of Tabacalera Esteli. They are headquartered in Miami with agricultural and production facilities in Esteli, Nicaragua. They specialize in small batch and premium cigars. Their cigars are sold strictly in B&Ms, and every Berger & Argenti product we’ve smoked we’ve been blown away by. They are in the mix of our top manufacturers, and their product line continues to grow – at this year’s IPCPR they introduced two new lines, the Quad Maduro, which we are reviewing today, and the value line MOOCH, which we will review next week, and which is the feature stick in our current contest. Their Clasico was recently awarded Robb Report’s Best of the Best.

The Entubar Quad Maduro is one of the two newest offering from Berger & Argenti, and is a part of their Entubar line of cigars. The Entubar line of cigars is described this way:
Each deeply aged Nicaraguan filler leaf is carefully rolled into itself creating delicate ‘scrolls’ of rich, flavorful tobacco. This age-old method ensures open chambers of air flow from the foot to the head of the cigar, creating a superior draw…The ligero tobacco leaves that lend the cigar its unique full body is bunched independently from the rest of the blend before it’s re-bunched directly into the center of the remaining entubar rolled filler blend. This ligero channel ranges the full length of the cigar and extends ¼ beyond the finished trimmed foot, creating a startlingly unique fuse like appearance that virtually assures a perfect, conical burn with a long white ash.
The difference between the Entubar and Entubar Quad Maduro is the box pressed “Habano” and the Nicaraguan Cuban-seed Sun-Grown Maduro wrapper, which has been aged in oak barrels since 2002. The Quad Maduro is available in four sizes – Corona Macho (4 5/8×48), Robusto (5 3/8×54), Double Corona (7 5/8×54), and a Torpedo (6 7/8×56). The regular Entubar line is available in an additional size, a Gran Toro (6 5/8×64). Sold in boxes of 20, the price per stick ranges from $9.99-12.99 depending on size. You can learn more about the Entubar, and Berger & Argenti, on their website, or follow them on Facebook.

This smoke, like the regular Entubar, which we reviewed here, is an eye catcher…so on to the toast!

Pre-light, 1.9:
The first thing that jumps out on this smoke is the presentation. The dual bands and ligero bunch protruding from the foot are unique and heighten the anticipation for the smoke. The dark and oily maduro wrapper is smooth to the touch with no veins. The box press is very well done on the Corona Macho and there are no soft spots at all throughout the stick. Lastly, the triple cap is constructed atop the head flawlessly. The pre-light aroma is of clean tobacco with a woody barnyard note at the foot. The cold draw produces a hint of sweet spice that is very pleasant.

Burn, 1.8:
The Entubar takes quite a bit of time to toast, but after the protrusion is lit, the rest takes off well. The draw is nice and produces an adequate amount of smoke at a very pleasant smoke temperature. The ash holds well, is a consistent white in color, and only drops off after I help it out, about an inch in to the smoke. The draw tightens up a bit past the halfway point and this in turn causes the smoke temperature to rise a tad, but it is still pleasant on the palate, and this eventually corrects itself.

Flavor, 2.7:
The first puff on the Entubar Maduro produces notes of earthy tobacco, hints of nuts, and a sweetness on the finish. The first third stays with the same trend, but the tobacco takes on more nutty or woody notes. The sweetness is still present on the finish and there is no spice on my palate. The second third does not provide any movement or transition. As I move into the final third, the tobacco seems to become more earthy but the mild sweetness is still present on the finish. The smoke is creamy throughout, and I never picked up any spice to speak of, but I always felt like it was very close to punching through, it just never happened.

Overall, 2.8:
This smoke was enjoyable, but I did not enjoy it as much as the Entubar we reviewed earlier on the site, even though I love Maduros. Though I enjoy a Corona size smoke, I would like to try one of the other production sizes at some point. That being said, at around ten bucks a smoke, this offering from Berger and Argenti is a solid stick. The flavor profile is pleasant, the construction is excellent, and the presentation makes this a fun stick to smoke!

(Total: 9.2)

Old 08-13-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Berger & Argenti Entubar Quad Maduro (New Cigar)

Another fine review Matthew...another maduro to try...even with that goofy looking foot
Old 08-13-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
OHRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Another fine review Matthew...another maduro to try...even with that goofy looking foot
It's a fun smoke to look at, more fun to smoke though!
Old 08-13-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
DropTheE
Loves Wolfgang Guitars!!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (32)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
DropTheE has a spectacular aura aboutDropTheE has a spectacular aura about

I have really been wanting to try some cigars from this maker. I am going to have to hop online and get a few to sample. Nice review. That cigar looks really cool and I can imagine it is sure fun to smoke!!
Old 08-13-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
OHRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTheE View Post
I have really been wanting to try some cigars from this maker. I am going to have to hop online and get a few to sample. Nice review. That cigar looks really cool and I can imagine it is sure fun to smoke!!
I've been super impressed by their product. The Clasico recently got named Robb Report's Best of the Best (no idea what that means, the Perdomo Champagne was Robb's 2008 cigar). The Exile is also good, and the new MOOCH is very good. They are strictly B&M though, which sucks.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

I smoked one of these today at Corona Cigar. This has got to be one of the best Maddies I have ever had. It was beyond smooth. The burn was even, tight ash and great draw. I would put this cigar in the same class as the Anejo. The only complaint I have about this cigar is, IT BURNT MY LIP!!!
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre3239 View Post
I smoked one of these today at Corona Cigar. This has got to be one of the best Maddies I have ever had. It was beyond smooth. The burn was even, tight ash and great draw. I would put this cigar in the same class as the Anejo. The only complaint I have about this cigar is, IT BURNT MY LIP!!!
WOW, Larry! Strong Recommendation!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Thanks for the fine review! I was gifted one of these lovely cigars by Al Argenti at the Shilo about a month back and while I was skeptical at first as Matthew said they are very good.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote