Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default 5 stick review - with a fishing pole

This is going to be a strange on. I always smoke a cigar or two or... (you get the idea) while fishing. Don't take notes, but keep the bands and try to remember things. Yesterday was my day off, so I was going to go fishing. Thought I'd write up a review of the cigars cloaked in the fishing trip. A little nutz? Yeah, probably, but you signed up to be here in the asylum.

Hope you enjoy!

OK, got a late start yesterday. Was watching the water on Lake Michigan. Really wanted to stick the boat in the water and troll shallow for Brown trout, but that wasn’t to be. With my little 14 footer with a 7.5 horse engine, I don’t get to far away from port on a good day. Yesterday got windy from the east, and although I didn’t get to Algoma to see, I am guessing.

So, I headed northeast instead of east, going over to the Oconto River to look for Steelies or Browns in the river. Getting to my spot to “view” the river, I lit up a Pinar del Rio Classico Corona, poured the last of my coffee from the thermos into my cup and took a stroll. What a good-looking cigar in that gorgeous Connecticut shade wrapper - and the band is stunning, with the little Exclusivo additional band is way cool. The ash was a bit funky/flake/dark black & grey, but I don’t judge a cigar by the ash. Flavors were on the mild side, but it did it very well. There were hints of nuts and it complimented my coffee very well. I will look for more from this line. I am going to have to try this in the Lancero.

Didn’t see the fish I wanted to see, so I took my cigar and traveled further northeast to Marinette. Stopped at a spot and talked to some guys about how they were doing - I wasn’t impressed with the prospects, and now my cigar was burning my fingers - time for another spot and another stick.

Stopping at another spot, I pulled out an Ashton VSG Corona Gordo, this tantalizing eye candy is nestled in a milk chocolate wrapper, I loves me a box-pressed stick, especially sporting that regal VSG wrapper. I looked forward to this stick as I have heard raves about it for ages. Well, it was impeccably rolled and burned with a sharp edge. A white ash clung stubbornly as it burned. Maybe it was my expectations, but I wasn’t “wow”ed by this at all. Other than a bit of a hint of spice and some nice tobacco flavors, I would have thought that this was a much less expensive stick. $10-$15 for this? Not from my pocket!

After stopping at the last spot, I went down to check it out and I prayed that the fishing would get better. Two guys were leaving with their limit - granted, it is only one walleye each - but that was encouraging. And this was encouraging news and I was excited as I finished the last half of the VSG. Even so enthused, the cigar didn’t improve.

After the VSG, I wasn’t sure what to do. I wanted a cigar, but I didn’t want to be disappointed again. So, I pulled a Cabaiguan Petite out of the travel humi and fired it up. I didn’t think about it, didn’t really pay any attention to it at all. It was a comfort smoke, it put me back in the cigar zone. Nutty with some slight spice, wonderful snork, and a bit of citrus. Citrus? (Looks at cigar with a quizzical face) Citrus? (Puff) Yes, citrus. Ooo, I like it! Never tasted that in one before.

And the fish started biting. Met a guy who was next to me a bit down the bank and netted a walleye he hooked. Then he caught another one. Then I got one. Walleye are excellent eating, but this was a female, about 26 inches, and she was ready to pop, so I let her go to make more little walleye. Caught two more before my cigar nubbed, but I was in the “cigar zone.”

So, what to do now? Oh yeah, there’s another Cabaiguan in the box - a Robusto Extra. The seamless, buttery light brown wrapper enticingly beckoned. The plain band always makes me chuckle, it just is, cool. Spice and nuts predominate, but the spice isn’t overpowering, more like light pepper with some nutmeg or cinnamon. This is not a power house smoke, but there is a complexity to it that is absolutely wonderful. This burned down to the fingers.

Well, except for the fact that I was really hoping that the Steelhead and Brown Trout would be in, and they weren’t, it was a great day. Caught 5 walleye and enjoyed talking to the couple guys that came down to see what was happening of fish for a bit.

As the day wore to an end, I thought one more stick a Romeo y Julieta Short Churchill tubo from sometime this past decade. It was a gift, so I’m not quite sure what year it was. This was another very attractive stick with an oily Connecticut shade colored wrapper. I like the stubby look and the bands on it are a pleasant touch. It seems a little soft when I snip and light it, and gets even spongier. That’s really odd for a CC, normally, if there are any construction issues it is just the opposite, they are tight and draw like a tent peg. Anyway, the flavors were great, lots of cedar, a bit of spice, leather, and some coffee flavors. But then the thing tunneled on me, not just a little either. With my mind on fishing and only paying partial attention to the burn, I found myself with a good 3/8 inch of wrapper 360° around the cigar unburned with the cherry buried. Odd! Great flavors but weird burn.

Well, I kept waiting for the right walleye to keep, threw the only male I caught back as I wanted one a little larger. Only thing is, they stopped biting. I did stick it out for another good 2 hours trying, but to no avail. I guess I could have kept one female if I really wanted to, but...

So probably, you’ll believe the cigar reviews and figure it’s just another big fish story. Either way, if this sounds like the kind of fishing you’d enjoy, drop me a PM, I’ll be glad to hook you up for a fishing excursion in the North Woods of Wisconsin.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Re: 5 stick review - with a fishing pole

Thanks for sharing. I agree with you about the VSG. I find them very boring and not worth the price.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Thanks for sharing. I agree with you about the VSG. I find them very boring and not worth the price.
Interesting that, isn't it.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
mariogolbee

That was a pretty cool review.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:12 PM   #5
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Was the Petit Cabaiguan one I gave you? If so, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Hell, even if it wasn't one I bombed you, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Sounds like an awesome day, Todd!
Old 03-24-2010, 06:19 AM   #6
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Was the Petit Cabaiguan one I gave you? If so, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Hell, even if it wasn't one I bombed you, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Sounds like an awesome day, Todd!
It might have or it might not. I got a few, and you gave me two, and they all got mixed together. Sorry.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:47 AM   #7
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
It might have or it might not. I got a few, and you gave me two, and they all got mixed together. Sorry.

Ha, no worries! Like I said, either way, it sounded like an awesome day!
Old 03-24-2010, 06:59 AM   #8
NeverEnoughStick

Cool review. I can't wait to get back to fishing!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:28 AM   #9
homerjay19
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (10)
Partagas
homerjay19 is on a distinguished road

Nice review, hoping to do some trout fishing this weekend.
homerjay19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:42 AM   #10
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough

Well done Todd! Thanks for sharing the story, sounds like an awesome way to spend a day off.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:45 AM   #11
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Nice review and thanks for posting it.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #12
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rev...sounds like a nice relaxing day.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:53 PM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the review, brother. No, you can't beat some walleye eating. I like perch almost as much, but I don't think any fish is sweet like walleye. They are so clean, too. Love em.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:42 AM   #14
dccraft

Great post Rev. Sounds like a great day to me! I've had the same feelings about the VSG as well.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:05 AM   #15
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
Trading: (8)
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

Great review Rev!

I really enjoyed the story and sorry you weren't able to catch anything worth taking home.
issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:16 AM   #16
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Thanks for the review, brother. No, you can't beat some walleye eating. I like perch almost as much, but I don't think any fish is sweet like walleye. They are so clean, too. Love em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dccraft View Post
Great post Rev. Sounds like a great day to me! I've had the same feelings about the VSG as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issues View Post
Great review Rev!

I really enjoyed the story and sorry you weren't able to catch anything worth taking home.
shilala - Walleye are better eating at 15-24 inches, than those that are over 24. I'd like to catch one over 33" and the tributaries off Green Bay, or the Bay itself will produce such fish. That's the beast I'd consider mounting, although I think I'd do a few pictures and get a facsimile mount made and let the fish go for another angler to brag on. I do love to eat panfish though, and perch are about the best.

dccraft - I have another gifted VSG to try yet, and I had another that I smoked a while back that was much better, though still not something I'd consider spending the coin on. In that price range ($10-$15), there are a number of other smokes to buy: Litto Gomez, PAM "64 & '26, AF Anejo, H.Upmann Mag50s, and maybe a couple others (notice I didn't include Opus X - that was intentional).

Issues - Don't be sorry that I didn't bring anything home, I'm not. They're still swimming and other days are coming.

Glad you all liked the reviews. Thought it was something different.

Peace of the Lord be with you all.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:42 PM   #17
whodeeni

Thumbs up Re: 5 stick review - with a fishing pole

Great Job Rev!
Old 03-25-2010, 11:01 PM   #18
Hot Stuff x
FNG

First Name: Les
Trading: (4)
Cohiba Army (Retired)
Hot Stuff x is on a distinguished road

great reviews! If I had smoked that many with no notes I doubt I could have remembered that much detail.

About the VSG--different strokes I guess...it's one of my favorites. The Cabiguan is a great stick too.
Hot Stuff x is offline   Reply With Quote