Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 12-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #161
mikethegoalie32

Default Re: Being a Hockey Parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
I wear a 14E shoe size. My right foot is almost a half size smaller though, but I can't even get my right foot into any size 13s I've seen at stores.

I've checked most shops around and find nothing higher than 13s.

Looks like Graf makes a Supra 705 that goes up to a 15 wide, but Bruno lists them at $480
http://www.brunoshockeyshop.com/coll...graf-supra-705

Bauer Vapor X40 comes up to a 15 too for around $330
http://www.hockeyworld.com/index/pag...Skates-+Senior

Any thoughts on these two skates?

I will check out Brunos. maybe they have some of those Supra 750s in stock that will fit. Perani's isn't too far from my work either. That is where I got the ice hockey equipent I have. I bought it and played one game as a fill in for a friend's team. Broke my thumb thanks to a slash I got in a "no checking league". I didn't know it until after the game. All I knew was that it hurt. I wouldn't mind playing ice hockey, problem is there aren't too many 31 yr old beginners. I have some stick skills and I have even played goalie a little, but it was all street, floor, and/or roller hockey. Ice is different.

Thanks again Mike
Supra 705's were my first skate, were a bit thinner then I hoped, so I went one skate size higher. Dont recommend this but I got away with it. My skating has improved drastically since getting a skate that will fit perfectly.
If you get a Graf, I can vouch that it will probably be the last skate you will buy for yourself. I dont plan on replacing my current boots ever, just getting repairs done.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #162
mikethegoalie32

but in the end you just go in and try them on, everyone has preferences. I went with my friend for his first pair of skates and we tried on at least 5 different pairs, then he went with Graf!
Old 12-08-2010, 01:19 PM   #163
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #164
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

I have to admit that I cannot feel a noticeable different in weight in the Bauer X60, RBK 11K and the Graf G5 when holding them in my hand. The post interested me enough that I ask a shop to weigh them and I will report my findings…. Assuming they actually follow up….
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #165
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Pretty emotional day yesterday. Funeral for Dave and then a game that night. The team had a pretty big part in the graveyard ceremony and the funeral in general I guess. Tough stuff, could not imagine going through it as a parent/kid.

Anyway, I wish I had sound to these pics. What a great finish to the day. When Dave's son went out on the ice, his first time out there since the accident, it was a roar like you could not put into words.... I am not too proud to admit that I didn't have a dry eye then...and don't now and I remember and type. There are special moments in life and I experienced one then. I know that kid could feel the love and support from a huge community of people....it was inspiring.

Big win, he didn't let in a goal....special night.

Taking the ice and a response to the crowd....

Assume this was a good to have you back tap before the puck dropped.

End of the game....

Last edited by E.J.; 12-09-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #166
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Nothing wrong with shedding some tears.
I have had a few moments in my life where I couldn't stop from doing it. I checked and I still got my man card.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #167
mikethegoalie32

Gotta love sport, brings sooooo many people together... Tears are always allowed in cases like this...

My peewees won 2-0 last night to the worse team in the league. They had 2 shots on our net. We should have won 15-0. They played like poop. Oh well a W is a W
Old 12-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #168
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Forgot to mention EJ as the skates you posted they are all not the super light skates.
For bauer go pick up the supreme one, easton the s17, s15, ccm u+cl. With those you will feel the weight difference. That said I think the vapor is still the most used skate in the nhl.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #169
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Ordered the G5's today at the request of the Little Man..... We talked a little last night about trying something new, the information that some of the other skates may be a little lighter on his foot ect. He said something to the effect that he knows what the G5's are on his feet and that is what he wants.

About to head to the rink.... Big game against a rival.... LM is a bit grumpy.....think he gets that from me....

(4 beers and a Shark in....hope the photos are not effected....)
Old 12-10-2010, 06:28 PM   #170
mikethegoalie32

Big game! Good luck
Old 12-10-2010, 11:58 PM   #171
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Solid game, 4-0 win.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #172
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Micah kept his goal streak alive for the 4th game.
He got tripped from behind on a breakaway and was awarded a penalty shot and buried it. I was griping as it was his last shift.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #173
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Article about Dave Brown in our newspaper....

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/...ockey.html.csp
Old 12-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #174
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
Micah kept his goal streak alive for the 4th game.
He got tripped from behind on a breakaway and was awarded a penalty shot and buried it. I was griping as it was his last shift.
...NICE
Old 12-13-2010, 07:10 AM   #175
mikethegoalie32

Great article!

My peewee kids are in a darn slump, but winning... Our forwards have hit such a dry patch, but thank god our defense are scoring. Over the last week we have faced the 3 worst teams in the league, only to win 3-0, 2-0, 2-0. We are the highest scoring team as well so these were a bit disappointing. And of those 7 goals, 5 came from a D. Last night to send a message to our forwards, we started the 3rd period with 5 D. Yup, they scored a goal. Oh well, the great teams are the ones who get through slumps while still winning! 13-2-2 at the half way mark is alright with me!
Old 12-13-2010, 07:58 AM   #176
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethegoalie32 View Post
Great article!

My peewee kids are in a darn slump, but winning... Our forwards have hit such a dry patch, but thank god our defense are scoring. Over the last week we have faced the 3 worst teams in the league, only to win 3-0, 2-0, 2-0. We are the highest scoring team as well so these were a bit disappointing. And of those 7 goals, 5 came from a D. Last night to send a message to our forwards, we started the 3rd period with 5 D. Yup, they scored a goal. Oh well, the great teams are the ones who get through slumps while still winning! 13-2-2 at the half way mark is alright with me!
Can't complain too much about 3 straight shutouts....
Old 12-13-2010, 08:55 AM   #177
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Our boys made it to the final of the Mid American Silver Sticks, Peewee AA but fell short.

They had jumped up to #15 on 98rankings.com but I suspect the 2 losses (1 to a higher ranked team, 1 to a lower ranked team) this weekend may drop them a bit.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #178
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Tough break Scott. Sorry to hear.

EJ I was behind the net and forgot to record his penalty shot. Dad fail moment.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #179
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
Our boys made it to the final of the Mid American Silver Sticks, Peewee AA but fell short.

They had jumped up to #15 on 98rankings.com but I suspect the 2 losses (1 to a higher ranked team, 1 to a lower ranked team) this weekend may drop them a bit.
Just getting that far is GREAT! What a cool experience for this kids....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
EJ I was behind the net and forgot to record his penalty shot. Dad fail moment.
Come on Mike! That would have been SWEET!
Old 12-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #180
mikethegoalie32

My dad once recorded a full semi final game with the lens cap on...