Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 07-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
DanD2124
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Dan
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
DanD2124 is on a distinguished road
Default DanD2124 Wineador Build

Hello all,

I saw some other members builds so I figured I share mine.

I bought this wineador off CL already set up. I paid $250, I thought it was a decent deal since the wine cooler is around $199 and figure another $150 for drawers and shelves. The drawers and shelves are from chaisdor. When I got it home I charged some of the beads the former owner had and the humidity sky rocketed because of too much distilled water. I took them out let the wineador settle for a bit. I ended up getting 70% Heartfelt Beads. I have had good luck with 70% rh in my wooden humidors so I just stuck with that. I got 2lbs of beads as I see most members went with that for faster recovery time when you open the door. I put 2 containers at the bottom and one on the second shelf. I also had 4 cigar coffins and put beads in those and put them in each drawer. I don't know if that will help anything I just figured they can absorb any rh as needed. The only beads I charged were the larger container on the bottom on the left side. And I only spray them very lightly with distilled water maybe 3-4 sprays. After a week the beads were holding good so I added cigars one drawer at a time. I thing after the first drawer I gave 4 hours then add some more waited till the next day and added the rest. And the humidity is holding good. I have 4 hygrometers in the wineador 2 at the bottom one in the middle and one at the top. As you'll see in the pics that they all have different readings but I just calibrated all of them before I put the 70 rh beads in there the one on the bottom right is -6 bottom left is +3 and the one on the top is +4. The one in the middle is spot on. After running the wineador for a few weeks I decided to add a computer fan hooked up to a timer to circulate the air and rh a bit. I pointed the fan upwards. Right now I'm pretty happy with my rh levels. Seems to be +/- 2% through out the wineador.

The only problem I'm having is when my ac is off in the house the temp spiked to 70 and humidity dropped to 64 rh. Now granted the house was pretty hot that day I think it was around 82 in house. We have had a heat wave here and the ac has been on for the past 2-3 weeks straight. Is that normal for the humidity to drop that much cause ambient factors (temp/humidity)?

Here's the pics enjoy!

DanD2124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
DanD2124
Just in from the Storm

Montecristo
Default Re: DanD2124 Wineador Build

Old 07-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
MUNKY
Resident Pig Hunter

First Name: Brandon
Trading: (19)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
MUNKY will become famous soon enoughMUNKY will become famous soon enough

Looks awesome man! Nice collection you got there also. Are you using it as a shell or running it plugged in?
MUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Looks awesome to me. I really need to get me one of those.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

i think to shelves provide a clean/sleek look to the unit but they take away a lot of box space.
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

Nice set up Dan. I think you got a good deal on it for sure. I'm not experienced with wineadors, so I can't answer the temperature swing question. I know my cooler temp is affected by the ambient temps of the house.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

these are coolers and yes they are affected by the ambient temp. they cooler the room is the cooler the unit will run and the warmer the room the warmer the unit will run.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
DanD2124
Just in from the Storm

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUNKY View Post
Looks awesome man! Nice collection you got there also. Are you using it as a shell or running it plugged in?
Thanks!
I'm running the cooler.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #9
DanD2124
Just in from the Storm

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever View Post
Looks awesome to me. I really need to get me one of those.
Thanks!
Old 07-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #10
DanD2124
Just in from the Storm

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_jaygee View Post
i think to shelves provide a clean/sleek look to the unit but they take away a lot of box space.
I agree. With the shelves you can use them for bundles or what not. But if I really wanted too I could order some more drawers.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Looks like you got a great deal Dan, the box looks great and I love mine. I'll leave it to those who know more about the RH / Ambient temp issue than I as I am here to learn as much as anything else.

The one thing I can add is, after many different tries, I ended up getting the "mesh media bags" that people use for fish tanks, bought them online for .99 cents each, I filled those with beads and they are great to tuck in the winador, they take up much less room, you can stack a few boxes on the bottom and top (where you have free room if the beads weren't there) and then just stuff in the media bags.

Example of the media bags (in my cabinet)

Last edited by AdamJoshua; 07-15-2013 at 08:38 PM.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #12
DanD2124
Just in from the Storm

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_jaygee View Post
these are coolers and yes they are affected by the ambient temp. they cooler the room is the cooler the unit will run and the warmer the room the warmer the unit will run.
I was more worried about the humidity dropping when the room temp was raised. My house usually doesn't get that hot at 82 normally. Just trying to figure out what will happen when the ac is not running 24/7.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #13
DanD2124
Just in from the Storm

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Looks like you got a great deal Dan, the box looks great and I love mine. I'll leave it to those who know more about the RH / Ambient temp issue than I as I am here to learn as much as anything else.
Thanks I appreciate it!
Old 07-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

i run mine at 65 degrees and 65% humidity and i am sure everything moves while i am not home. the short spikes i wouldnt worry about (a few hours).
Old 07-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
DanD2124
Just in from the Storm

Montecristo

Yea I was thinking its not too much to worry about since it was extremely hot in the house that day and only dropped to 64 rh. Any where around 65-70 ill be happy.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #16
DanD2124
Just in from the Storm

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post

The one thing I can add is, after many different tries, I ended up getting the "mesh media bags" that people use for fish tanks, bought them online for .99 cents each, I filled those with beads and they are great to tuck in the winador, they take up much less room, you can stack a few boxes on the bottom and top (where you have free room if the beads weren't there) and then just stuff in the media bags.

Example of the media bags (in my cabinet)

As I fill up the wineador the media bags will be a good option.
Nice looking cabinet you got there!