Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 12-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #121
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Bcs - wtf 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
More fun for you SEC fanboys...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...-in-on-the-fun

I guess they really do believe that if you're not cheating your not trying.

Should I bring up the academic standards (or lack thereof)?

Come on now....that's a low blow. They just really love their football down South, they're born into nurseries painted in school colors and are taught little sayings about their rivals as soon as they're old enough to talk.... They have 9 year old kids that know more about the game than people like myself. It is their culture.... That piggy backs on the academic standards(focus is on SEC...SEC...SEC, not READING....WRITING.....ARITHMETIC....)

$EC....$EC....$EC

(All in good fun kids, if I seriously offend, it was not the intent)
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #122
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Come on now....that's a low blow. They just really love their football down South, they're born into nurseries painted in school colors and are taught little sayings about their rivals as soon as they're old enough to talk.... They have 9 year old kids that know more about the game than people like myself. It is their culture.... That piggy backs on the academic standards(focus is on SEC...SEC...SEC, not READING....WRITING.....ARITHMETIC....)

$EC....$EC....$EC

(All in good fun kids, if I seriously offend, it was not the intent)
You're Just Jealous, Brother!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #123
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
I do enjoy the passion you guys have, in an admittedly odd sort of way. There is no way I'd be anywhere but the West....and no conference I'd rather be involved with, than the PAC12... As Jimmy Morrison said, "the West is the best."
Old 12-07-2011, 06:59 AM   #124
Wanger

My head hurts!

Playoffs are needed, even before anyone got the shaft this year, plain and simple. The only way a national title becomes "real" this year is if LSU wins and OKST loses. If Bama wins, then the OKST supporters would be saying that they deserve a shot (and it's hard to argue that they don't, IMO). This is the ONLY sport that doesn't have a playoff system to determine the champion. How the hell does that work that this system is still around? I'm all for tradition, but come on...
Old 12-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #125
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
More fun for you SEC fanboys...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...-in-on-the-fun

I guess they really do believe that if you're not cheating your not trying.

Should I bring up the academic standards (or lack thereof)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Greg, would it be too early to say that we may good at cheating, but at least we don't harbor, aid, and abet child molesters in our conference? Yeah, probably too early. Strike that comment. My apologies. Carry on....
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #126
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers View Post

the holder tossed the ball NO LOOK behind his head to have it bounce PERFECTLY to the kicker in full stride. Trying do that successful again 1 time out of 100.
By the way, folks, that's exactly how we are going to beat Alabama next "year", with just
that kind of charmed occurrence. I know going in that bama fans thought this was the year, all
the planets and recruiting had aligned for this one moment in time. But it is actually LSU that is
going to have the meant to be season. LSU wins, bank it. Remember what happened LAST time
I gave out this advice?
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #127
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Ehhh, I need to stop it. Like I said, I can't DO THIS for a freaking month, lol.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #128
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Ehhh, I need to stop it. Like I said, I can't DO THIS for a freaking month, lol.
You Always Have, In The Past, Brad! Like I Said Before, If You Win Jan. 9th, I'll Be Glad To Congratulate You! We Shall See.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #129
OLS
Suck It

Even for me that is an INTOLERABLE amount of time to wait. The system has built-in calendar days BEGGING
for a playoff, and still we wait a month and basically lose all the football lovers except for the two individual
fanbases. Foul.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #130
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Even for me that is an INTOLERABLE amount of time to wait. The system has built-in calendar days BEGGING
for a playoff, and still we wait a month and basically lose all the football lovers except for the two individual
fanbases. Foul.
For All The "Big 12" Fans, I Heard Danny Sheridan On The Radio, Today. He Said No Way Can The Oklahoma States & Stanfords Compete With The LSU Or Alabama Defenses This Year. He Feels That Arkansas & Its Bobby Petrino Offense Is As Good As Any In The Big 12 & Both BAMA & LSU Demolished Arkansas This Year. A Great Defense Beats A Good Offense Every Time, My Friends!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #131
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/ar...ip-game,26851/

Old 01-05-2012, 06:48 AM   #132
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

I love it E.J.

I hope bama wins. Then who will be the champ? The both will have beat each other once and will have the same record.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #133
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I love it E.J.

I hope bama wins. Then who will be the champ? The both will have beat each other once and will have the same record.
OSU will also finish with the same record if Alabama wins.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #134
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

It's easy to figure out. Who's got the best marketing advantage?
Go Money!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #135
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Well........yaaaawwwwnnnn.......I thoroughly enjoyed watching WVU ripping the "ACC Champions!!!!!!" apart last night. Clemson exposed AGAIN as the overrated team they are.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #136
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Hey, you, with the chip on your shoulder about the Southeastern Conference.

Yeah, you, the one who can't wait to see the Allstate BCS National Championship Game because, for the first time in eight appearances, an SEC team will lose. With No. 1 LSU playing No. 2 Alabama in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans on Monday, there may be less relief there than you think.

You're frustrated with the system. You're mad that the power in college football has consolidated in one place and you're looking for someone or something to blame. The answer lies below.

But before you can look at the culprit, you're going to need a mirror.
Suck it
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #137
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post

MMmmmmhmmm. Haters gonna hate....
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #138
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
OSU will also finish with the same record if Alabama wins.
Perfect. The more controversy and complaining from the schools, the more likely they replace this crap with a tourney.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #139
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
Quote:
Even with the head start of Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State ranking 1-2-4 in attendance, the SEC led the nation in 2011, as it has every season since 1998. That's because SEC schools take six positions in the top 11. The revenues generated by that attendance put the SEC at the top of athletic spending, according to a survey by the Sports Business Journal. The median budget of SEC athletic departments in fiscal year 2012 is $90.3 million. The Big Ten is second at $78.8 million. No other conference has a median budget above $62 million.
So Michigan has a smaller budget due to lower attendance than an SEC school?

http://bentley.umich.edu/athdept/sta...xt/mattend.htm
Quote:
Michigan Stadium Attendance Records
The University of Michigan footbal team has played 230 consecutive games in front of crowds in excess of 100,000 through the 2010 season. The last time The Wolverines did not have 100,000 in attendance was Oct. 25, 1975 vs. Indiana when a crowd of 95,857 was on hand for the 55-7 Michigan victory.
Even a year old stat like that is staggering. The Big House is the largest college football stadium, and the third larest in the world, excluding NASCAR and horse racetracks. Don't give me the budget argument because it doesn't hold water. Michigan has soldout the largest stadium for 35 years, ranks 7th of all schools in merchandise sales and 4th overall in revenue/profit (with Georgia being the only SEC ahead of them).

The SEC wins because they are better at, or more willing, to cheat. The SEC signs more recruits than they are allowed to and are guilty of more NCAA violations than any other conference. Yet the NCAA is unwilling to really punish them because they bring in good TV ratings and hence lots of money.

7 of 12 SEC schools now facing sanctions in the past two years:
http://outkickthecoverage.com/south-...-sanctions.php

Merch numbers link:
per this link http://content.usatoday.com/communit...andise-sales/1)

Overall revenue/profit link:
http://money.cnn.com/2010/12/29/news...lars/index.htm

I'm not about bashing the SEC per se. Ohio State got a slap on the wrist too. The whole thing just bothers me. It's like Barry Bonds's homerun record. Sure he has the numbers, but everyone knows he cheated to get them.

Sure as a fan you get to enjoy the wins at gameday and the sanctions or vacated wins won't be official for a few years so, who cares?

I guess my beef is with the NCAA. If they want to get rid of this crap for real they'll punish all those who benefit from it. Players taking money/gifts, make them sit out 3 years before being eligible for the NFL draft. Take 20 scholarships for 3 years (60 total) from the school, and ban the coach for 3 years from taking ANY NCAA coaching position.

They'll never do it. They have no spine and they gave away their post season system to another entity (BCS), who crowns a mythical national champ every year.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #140
OLS
Suck It

Yes, but Mike, remember, when you are talking about NCAA violations, one of the teams
in the National Championship game has not had a major NCAA violation in 25 years. That's LSU,
baby, haha.

Someone here posted this link: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...-in-on-the-fun
Which purports to show the SEC as this smudgy city on a hill of infractions, but all you have to do is read the part
they did not copy and past into the forum, the part that stops talking about the SEC and begins to shine the light
in all directions and how only a few schools in the entire system are clean. You are right, it is a barrel full of rotted
fruit and it needs to be upended and washed out with bleach. And as soon as you stop caring about intercollegiate
athletics, they will probably think about doing it. But for now the money is too powerful. Maybe we should
trade the BCS for our government, it might work better....oh wait, they are the same thing.

But we don't cheat better down here, we have more warm months to practice being great at football.
Or spicy food makes people run faster. But no, we don't cheat better, we all cheat the same. Yes, LSU
was busted for over-promising scholarships, but I am sure that is the same all over the country with the
schools where kids REALLY want to go, and it hurts the Vanderbilts and the Furmans and the whos-evers.
But it ain't a SEC deal, my friend. I wouldn't trust a single properly researched article that doesn't also point
out that these are just the flavor of the month mentions the SEC is getting...OH St. was properly noted by
you, Southern Cal, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one. Corruption is not everywhere, but it sure
is widespread.

And as stated, NO major infractions for LSU since 1986...now this quote from the above article...Since 1987,
there have been 72 major infractions committed by 56 of the nation's current 120 FBS programs, including 44
of the current 67 automatic-qualifying BCS members -- a staggering 65.7 percent from the six power conferences.

Are there 56 SEC schools, haha.

Last edited by OLS; 01-06-2012 at 02:43 PM.