Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 05-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
Sweet_Leaf_PDX
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jason
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Sweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enoughSweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enough
Default Sam Leccia Black and White

Just read that these are going to be hitting stores this week and I am excited to try the two different blends. I am a fan of Sam's past work so I think these will be some interesting cigars. Anyone seen or tried one of these yet?

These are being distributed by Torano Cigars, but I'm not sure if they have any involvement outside of the distribution.
Sweet_Leaf_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sam Leccia Black and White

I have had the White...first two thirds was very enjoyable, last third...not so much. I've got to try another before writing them off...might have had a bad one.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
I have had the White...first two thirds was very enjoyable, last third...not so much. I've got to try another before writing them off...might have had a bad one.
I think you've had every cigar ever. I envy you with my envy.

MCS
Old 05-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly View Post
I think you've had every cigar ever. I envy you with my envy.

MCS
I wish Scott...I wish. I will say that I've been fortunate to try a lot of sticks.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

They've been at my local B&M for about a week now. Can't wait to go try one
Old 05-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

They are made by Torano and they taste like a Torano. I had both and they were pretty average. Not box worthy in my opinion, but I am a cigar snob
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #7
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
+1

I really wanted to like this. I'm a fan of Sam and would love to see him do well. The 'base' flavor was not bad and could sustain the cigar with the right 'other stuff' going on. Unfortunately, that didn't happen for more than a few minutes at a time. In particular, there was a recurring sweetness that I really enjoyed, but only appeard for a little bit in the beginning and then a little later. There's some pepper in there, but it seems to ebb and flow and not be a consistent contributor. If the sweetness I detected were a little more prevalent throughout, I'd have liked it a lot better. I'm still looking forward to trying the Black.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #8
Islayphile
Wee Dram Hunter

First Name: Mike
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
Islayphile is on a distinguished road

I smoked a White last week and it was a solid....meh

I wouldn't buy another one
Old 05-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #9
danreeve
Feeling at Home

Trading: (2)
danreeve has a spectacular aura aboutdanreeve has a spectacular aura about

I had the black a few weeks ago. I thought it was a nice easy smoke. Not going to blow you out of the water, but an easy one to burn down over a good conversation.

Side note: even though it has fire cured tobacco in it, it's nothing like the KFC that we are about to see from Drew Estate.

Dan
Old 05-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Our shop is getting 6-8 boxes in next Thursday for our Torano event, I am hoping to grab a few of each.

Quote:
Side note: even though it has fire cured tobacco in it, it's nothing like the KFC that we are about to see from Drew Estate.
So Dan, is this KFC going to be the new craze we will start seeing like the big rg craze going on?
Old 05-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #11
danreeve
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
Our shop is getting 6-8 boxes in next Thursday for our Torano event, I am hoping to grab a few of each.

So Dan, is this KFC going to be the new craze we will start seeing like the big rg craze going on?
This is just my opinion, and nothing more. The KFC is a cigar you are either going to love, or it's not going to be for you. It's very unique and I don't think there is anything else on the market like it. If you like it or not... that's up to you, but I don't think there will be a middle ground.

I don't see it as being a trend but then again, I'd never even really heard of the tobacco being good for premium cigars until the Leccia release. So maybe?

Dan
Old 05-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #12
danreeve
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
They are made by Torano and they taste like a Torano. I had both and they were pretty average. Not box worthy in my opinion, but I am a cigar snob
Torano doesn't have a factory anymore.

Dan
Old 06-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #13
Sam Leccia
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Sam
Trading: (0)
Navy (Served With Honor)
Sam Leccia is on a distinguished road

Hey Gang,

I thought I'd chime in and drop some info on the Leccia Tobacco Black and White. Below is a cut and paste from one of my info cards:

The concept behind Leccia Tobacco Black and White, was to introduce the smoker to unique cigar blends that would offer two very different smoking experiences. To achieve this, Sam Leccia, the Master Blender and Owner of Leccia Tobacco, decided to manufacture his proprietary blends in two different factories located in two different countries.The result are two very complex and distinct cigars that have a combined nine different tobaccos from seven different countries.
The White is made in Nicaragua using an African Sungrown wrapper around an Ecuadorian Habano binder. The filler consists of Ligero from Nicaragua and The Dominican Republic. It also uses a seco leaf from Pennsylvania. (Sam's home state) The cigar draws and burns extremely well, offering flavors of salty roasted cashews, cappuccino, with a light sweetness delivered from the Pennsylvanian tobacco. The strength is provided by the ligero, which makes up half the blend, but is tamed by the flavorful African Sungrown wrapper leaf. It is a medium to full bodied strength cigar with a well rounded complex flavor that leaves a bright white ash.

The Black is made in The Dominican Republic using the highest grade Habano wrapper with a Nicaraguan Rosado binder. The filler consists of Brazilian Mata Fina seco and ligero from Nicaragua and The Dominican Republic. The blend is finished off by using a half leaf of "Dark Fire" to give a hint of smokiness similar to what is found in a peated scotch whisky. The "Dark Fire" leaf is grown in Kentucky and rather than air cure the tobacco, it is wood fire cured during the drying phase of recently harvested tobacco. It does not overpower the flavor but rather rounds out the blend. The result is a very unique flavor of black pepper, dark chocolate and bourbon. It is a medium to full bodied strength, with a distinct complex flavor and aroma.
Sam Leccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #14
Sam Leccia
Just in from the Storm

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
I personally sourced and brokered all of my tobacco and chose 2 small factories to make them. I am very pleased with the result, and excited about the Black and White blends.

I certainly appreciate your feedback and hope you give them another shot.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #15
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

First Name: Scotty
Trading: (31)
Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice

Quote:
Think maybe it needed more time marinating? The sticks I've had that start great but get "meh" towards the end fare better if I let 'em sit for a while.

My B&M just got them in, so I'll try them this weekend.

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
Lockspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #16
Sam Leccia
Just in from the Storm

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danreeve View Post
This is just my opinion, and nothing more. The KFC is a cigar you are either going to love, or it's not going to be for you. It's very unique and I don't think there is anything else on the market like it. If you like it or not... that's up to you, but I don't think there will be a middle ground.

I don't see it as being a trend but then again, I'd never even really heard of the tobacco being good for premium cigars until the Leccia release. So maybe?

Dan
What's interesting is how I came across the "Dark Fire" tobacco. Like I mentioned earlier, I went out and sourced all of the tobacco for my blends. While at one of the warehouses in the DR, I had asked for specific tobacco that I wanted plus asked to try some samples of tobacco that I may be unfamiliar with. In doing that, I was able to smoke some very different tobaccos from many different countries. I have played around with tobacco from the obvious places, and tried tobacco from Peru, Columbia, Germany, Italy, and the USA among others. When I came across the "Dark Fire" it was introduced first to me as Darkafina a wrapper grown in Italy. I was literally blown away by not only the aroma, you could nose it from 5 feet away, but the color, texture, and consistency was unlike anything I have seen. It was a flawless leaf that really got my heart pumping with excitement. I initially tried it as a wrapper, but it proved to be a little over powering with the base blend that I was already working on and the burn qualities were not what I had hoped, so I tried it in the filler. I needed to give this tobacco a fair shot, it was too unique not to. I ended up using a 1/4 leaf of it. (Half of half a leaf). It was only when I decided to make a go of it, did I find out it's true origin, and that being Kentucky and Tennessee. The tobacco is called "Dark Fire" and it is wood fire cured after harvesting. The oak fire smolders inside the barn and the smoke from that fire is absorbed in the tobacco. It is by no means a new process. The Native Americans used this technique, but it was not used much in the premium cigar world. Make no mistake this is an incredible leaf with very distinct qualities, trust me I had my reservations about it, but when it's good it's good. Again, I have only used a 1/4 leaf of this in the blend, you notice it right away on the foot prior to lighting, but the flavor is subtle. I like to say that it ties the blend together, like the Big Lebowski's rug. It doesn't overpower, or take away from the blend, it's just a hint of smokiness. If your a scotch whisky drinker, it is very similar to using peat to dry the barley.

I hope this info was useful...fire away if you have any questions!

~Sam
Old 06-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #17
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the info Sam. I smoked both of the cigars when you were at the Jungle Jim's tasting about a month ago. I would be willing to give them another shot in a couple months.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #18
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (43)
LGC
BlkDrew will become famous soon enough

I had great evolution through miltiples of black an white. I went with the 4x46 and they had great flavor the whole way. Will buy again
BlkDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #19
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

i had the 4x46 black yesterday. it was ok but not great, but it might be with a little age to it. i have the 4x46 white but did not get to it this weekend but i am hoping to this week. also Sam is having an event at my B&M this Friday and i am going to try and make it.
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #20
MOGator2000
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Brian
MOGator2000 is on a distinguished road

Enjoyed a Black robusto that I picked up at Corona Cigars in Orlando while on vaca recently. Thought flavor was good but not overly complex, smoke production above avg, and smoked to a nub. Would buy again.
MOGator2000 is offline   Reply With Quote