Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2012, 12:07 AM   #21
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Glacier National Park, Yellowstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonw560 View Post
A double rainbow...WHAT DOES IT MEAN??
That I had a chance to fill both my leprechaun tags that day!
Old 06-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #22
Angry_Pirate
Traveler

First Name: J.T.
Trading: (40)
Cohiba
Angry_Pirate is on a distinguished road

We adjusted our plans a little and now we have 3 days at both Yellowstone and Glacier!! I'm going to stock up on bottled water,beef jerky and granola bars for the trails. Any concerns of the wildlife (Bears,etc). I assume I will need to take some warm clothing?
Angry_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #23
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Bucketlist

Right now part of the road in GNP is closed. See pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glaciernps

Definitely check prior to going:

http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisi...thesunroad.htm
Old 06-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #24
Jasonw560
PhD from Sarcastic State

First Name: Jason
Trading: (0)
Jasonw560 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaDooley View Post
That I had a chance to fill both my leprechaun tags that day!
Where can I get that permit?

(Double rainbow youtube link) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI
Old 06-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #25
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (21)
ERdM
Samsquanch will become famous soon enough

You'll want to bring along the 10 Essentials on any hike - http://www.mountaineersbooks.org/cli...Essentials.cfm

As far as protection from bears, I highly recommend purchasing some bear spray, it is highly effective when used properly - http://www.rei.com/product/722005/co...t-spray-102-oz

Also read up on proper bear safety practices that can prevent any negative encounter - http://www.fs.fed.us/ipnf/visit/broc...ars/index.html

Take lots of pictures and enjoy every second!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Pirate View Post
We adjusted our plans a little and now we have 3 days at both Yellowstone and Glacier!! I'm going to stock up on bottled water,beef jerky and granola bars for the trails. Any concerns of the wildlife (Bears,etc). I assume I will need to take some warm clothing?
Old 06-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #26
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Pirate View Post
I assume I will need to take some warm clothing?
Yes. Almost all of the park is 6000 feet or more above sea level, and some areas are close to 12,000 feet, with areas varying widely between. So the temperature might be short sleeve in one area, but coats in another. We made both our trips in mid-june, and went thru blizzards both trips, but also had times when we were in shirt sleeves. And, the weather/temps can change quickly. We started a day at Old Faithful in sleeves, but three hours later, we were hiking back to the van for out coats as a front moved in, and snow began to fall!! You should have less chances of cold weather in July, but don't discount the chances!

I'm glad you picked up an extra day for each park!! That really opens up the possibilities. Especially if you can stay overnight in West Yellowstone, and save the drive time back and forth to Billings (Or was it Bozeman?) With extra time, plan on taking a picnic lunch for one or more days. However, be very aware of the risk of bears. They know where the picnic areas are, as well as the humans!!

I'd recommend Mammoth Hot Springs at the North Gate (Gardiner, MT), but it was flowing poorly last time we were there (10 years ago??) and tends to fluctuate as to it's formations. But, it does give you a chance to see the north gate, which is the historic gate that is seen on many photos of the past. I can't remember the name, but there was a restaurant in Gardiner that serves a wide variety of game meats (I had a really nice buffalo burger there). As you head north thru town on the one and only main drag, the place was on the left, overlooking the river.

The park road system is basically a large rectangle (running north to south), pinched in a little in the middle, with a road across the middle connecting the two sides. So, if one road is closed, you can still get around, but it may take considerably longer if you wish to go thru the middle road, but have to detour north or south. However, there is plenty to see on any of the roads, and each quadrant of the park is totally different from the each other in terms of topography, sights, animals and viewing distances.

A 100% item to NOT forget..... One (or many more) sets of good binoculars. The more you have, the less fighting there will be when (not IF) you sight something in the distance. Be aware, when the traffic comes to a complete standstill, there's a better than even chance it's because someone saw/sees a bear. The Park Rangers are fairly quick about making people move on, but plan on standstills, and have something to occupy the time!
Old 06-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #27
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

One of the top 10 rules to remember, whether in GNP, the Tetons, or Yellowstone, is to obey park speed limits and driving rules, especially the one about the animals having right-of-way. Wrecks, with hurt people and killed animals every season, many times because someone's time is more important than everyone else in the world, so it's OK for then to run through traffic standstills, break the speed limits, and not give the wildlife enough room. Watched a guy "bump" a buffalo one night, because he was going too fast coming down off a blind hill, and could not see the buffalo in time to slow up. Traffic jams are inevitable every day, mostly from buffalo walking up and down the roads in the park; nothing you can do about it except be patient, and watch out both sides of the road while you wait! Beat being in a traffic jam in LA, for sure. I can only imagine the days when buffalo would intersect a rail line, and a train could be held up for over 2 days. Your first few times getting held up by buffalo will be very cool, but after several of these, you can get kind of blase' about it; don't. Sometimes, the jams are because there's a bear, cat, or moose very close, and you might get to see it if you're patient.

Tough to see a lot in 3 days at either place anyway, so try to stay in Yellowstone if you can, or in West Yellowstone, Gardiner, or Cooke. Lots of hikes in both parks, and if you take even one, you're seeing more of the park than 90+% of all the other visitors. One good Yellowstone hike, with potential to see bear, is the Mt. Washburn hike. It can be a long one; my brother and I turned back about 2/3 up, because we did not grasp the length involved, and we had family waiting for us in the vehicle. Hikes around the already mentioned geyser formations is good. Ya GOTTA see Old Faithful if you go. The trail down the falls mentioned earlier is tough, but really great. Anywhere you hike, pay attention to the rules posted on the trails, especially near geothermal stuff, where bear sightings have been very recent, and near any high places. An 18 year old russian girl who had just completed her first work day with Yellowstone concessionaire, Xanterra, went on a hike in the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone area, and they went off-trail to a ledge to get a good view. She was seated on the edge, with another girl behind her, when the ledge collapsed, and she died after a 400' fall. Very sad and completely preventable. Driving around, Hayden and Lamar Valleys will give you opportunity to see wolves and elk.

Also agree with bringing plenty of binoculars. Don't forget to try Huckleberry ice cream!!!! Very good stuff. The ice cream shop in Gardiner will make a huckleberry shake. Huckleberry pie is also the bomb. I can understand why bears like them so much.

Hope you enjoy your trip. We have been to Glacier once for a very short trip, the Tetons once, and Yellowstone twice for at least a week. I love all of it, and would move out there in an instant (well, maybe a summer home, if we had the $$$). Still contemplating a September visit, or else this time next year. Both earlier trips were late August/early September, and it was hopping with people. Supposedly calms down a little after Labor Day. We generally stay in Yellowstone, at Fishing Bridge campground.
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #28
Angry_Pirate
Traveler

Cohiba

Thanks for all the heads up and info guys the trip was great!! I'm going to post some pics of some of the sights. These are all phone pics so they aren't that great. First Badlands and Rushmore

Bear Country USA
Old 07-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #29
Angry_Pirate
Traveler

Cohiba

Yellowstone

Old 07-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #30
Angry_Pirate
Traveler

Cohiba

Glacier National Park

Garden of the Gods
Old 07-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #31
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Very Nice!!! Glad y'all made it, and had the chance to see these. Did it whet your appetite for more? Hope so! My wife's currently working in Sheridan, Wy, about 3-4 hours east of Yellowstone. At the end of her contract in early September, I'm flying back out, and we plan on going to Glacier, then Yellowstone. Hope to spend a week in each!

Looking forward to seeing more pix as you get them put up!!!!
Old 07-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #32
MrWolf55
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Mike
Trading: (3)
RyJ
MrWolf55 is on a distinguished road

Wow gorgeous pictures. Looks like a great time
MrWolf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #33
Angry_Pirate
Traveler

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Very Nice!!! Glad y'all made it, and had the chance to see these. Did it whet your appetite for more? Hope so! My wife's currently working in Sheridan, Wy, about 3-4 hours east of Yellowstone. At the end of her contract in early September, I'm flying back out, and we plan on going to Glacier, then Yellowstone. Hope to spend a week in each!

Looking forward to seeing more pix as you get them put up!!!!
Both parks were great!! I wish we had more time at each. The scenery at Glacier was breath taking but we saw a lot more wildlife at Yellowstone and got to see Old Faithful. Made us wish we had an RV. I highly recommend Glacier to anyone it seems like it doesn't get the attention that Yellowstone does and is a great park in it's own right. The Going to the Sun Road at Glacier was the highlight of both parks for me. I will try to get some pics from the camera and load them they are a little better. You and your Wife will enjoy Glacier if you haven't been there yet.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #34
Angry_Pirate
Traveler

Cohiba

Sulfuric Pool

Roadrunner at the Bed and Breakfast in Santa Fe,NM

More Bear Country
Old 07-23-2012, 05:59 AM   #35
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

Definitely have to try and make it out there!!
Thanks for sharing the pics