Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 12-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough
Default Padron 1926 40 Years Maduro

On a cool, cloudless Miami night I decided to break out one of the two of these I had remaining. Either Jupiter or Venus is almost directly overhead, a few degrees due north.

I bought several of these right when they were released, and at the time I remember a huge deal being made of how exclusive they were and how once they were gone, they were gone. Yet I just did a quick search and found them still for sale by the box (unthinkable at release, when my local B&M was doling out two a day). $518 for 20, but still—available.

No burn pics tonight; too dark and my camera's battery is too run down for flash.

The cigar is exceptionally well-constructed; dense, almost hard to the touch, with a sharp box-press. The wrapper is a deep, rich brown. Post-cut/pre-light, I get one thing besides tobacco: sweet cocoa.

Right from the start, pleasant, rich coffee notes on copious amounts of smoke; sweet undertones, like pastry. As it burns, the coffee intensifies and so does the sweetness; a hint of honey. A very full, rounded mouth feel.

An inch in and the construction of this fine stick is evident in a razor-sharp burn. Pure enjoyment.

About mid-point a subtle creaminess comes in and stays to the end, muting the coffee slightly; sweet cafe con leche is the best way I can describe it. Rich honey notes, still in the background, but there nonetheless. Thick, abundant smoke belies the mellowness of this cigar's flavor and strength; everything is in harmony, nothing really overpowers anything else. Extremely satisfying; just challenging enough but not overly-so...you could call it user-friendly.

I don't think you need to have been smoking long to enjoy this stick, but I sure am glad to be able to pick out nuances while I thoroughly enjoy it. This is no nicotine bomb, but rather an explosion of flavor. The denseness and the volume of smoke is just awesome.

With only an inch or so left, the coffee-and-cream flavor gives way slightly and that sweetness in the background is more pronounced; I keep getting the impression of pastries, especially through the nose.

The burn remained sharp all the way through, except for one correction when a breeze kicked up for a minute.

Gone too soon, despite enjoying it thoroughly to the finger-burning stage. The perfect cigar? This would be a good candidate for the distinction.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:00 AM   #2
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (43)
LGC
BlkDrew will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Padron 1926 40 Years Maduro

the 1926 is one of my favorite cigars. I have only one in the humi right now... waiting for the perfect occasion.

Great review.
BlkDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:34 AM   #3
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (83)
HUpmann
Mr.Maduro has disabled reputation

Great review Joe! Great to see you around too!
Old 12-02-2011, 05:42 AM   #4
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Ah........ The Padron 26, Best Padron Out There, IMO! Awesome Review!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:08 AM   #5
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Thanks for the review! Padron's are great cigars and the 1926 series are stellar!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote